What's new

KSLSports.com - Donovan Mitchell Donating To Education Fund For Children Of Jacob Blake

B

Ben Anderson

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Donovan Mitchell announced he’ll be donating $45,000 in proceeds from the release of his new shoe, the D.O.N. Issue #2, to an education fund for the children of Jacob Blake. Blake, a Black man, was shot by a Wisconsin police officer, and remains hospitalized.

In a video posted to Twitter, Mitchell said Adidas, the maker of his signature shoe, will match his donation to the Blake family.

“In light of all the senseless and tragic events in the shooting of Jacob Blake, I reached out to Adidas to see how we together could partner up and help support any way possible,” Michell said. “For the first $45,000 in sales that will be matched by Adidas to ensure an investment of $90,000 to help secure the future education of Jacob Blake’s kids.”

This one is different for me. For the first 45 hours of the #DONISSUE2 spidey-sense drop, I will be donating $45k of the proceeds to support the education of Jacob Blake’s children. Adidas will also match my donation for a total of $90k. #createdwithadidas @adidasHoops @Marvel pic.twitter.com/u3ooWmcVAi

— Donovan Mitchell (@spidadmitchell) August 28, 2020

The NBA playoffs are nearing the end of a three-day hiatus after the Milwaukee Bucks boycotted their Wednesday game five after Blake was shot some 4o miles from their home arena.

Mitchell’s Charity Extends Beyond Jacob Blake

This is far from Mitchell’s first foray into charitable work. The third-year guard has been a frequent voice for supporting education both in the state of Utah. The first-year All-Star donated shoes to kids graduating in Connecticut earlier this year.

Meanwhile, Mitchell raised $25,000 after auctioning off several pairs of his new shoes, future courtside tickets to a Jazz home game, and a meet and greet with the star.

Donovan Mitchell's new shoes helped raise $25,000 for the #ALLINCHALLENGE.

But you won't believe how much Tom Brady's first game-worn @Buccaneers jersey raised for the cause. https://t.co/UwribuWnVr

— KSL Sports (@kslsports) May 4, 2020

D.O.N. Issue #2

Mitchell, an Adidas athlete received his first signature shoe in July of 2019. Since then, the brand has released a new colorway seemingly monthly since the initial red and blue D.O.N. Issue #1 debuted.

In April, the All-Star guard gave fans their first official preview of his second signature shoe, the D.O.N. Issue #2. Mitchell teamed with the NBA2k video game series to debut the shoes on the game’s platform.

With great power… Donovan Mitchell and the D.O.N. Issue #2 cover KICKS 23: https://t.co/BeYypdGkbW pic.twitter.com/c5abruuVX1

— SLAM Kicks (@SLAMKicks) August 21, 2020

Mitchell will appear in the Kicks 23 edition of Slam Magazine celebrating the release of his second signature shoe, the D.O.N. Issue #2.

In an interview with the magazine Mitchell discusses his new shoe release, and the different colorways he’s used for spreading awareness regarding social matters from the death of George Floyd to the Australian Bush Fires.

“My biggest thing that I love doing the most is giving back to those in need—so being able to bring awareness, to spread awareness, to give back, those are things that I really pride myself on,” Mitchell told Slam. “So, for me, it was just like, OK, how can I go about doing it with my shoe?”

Just one week after the release of the magazine cover, Mitchell has found a way to use his shoe release to raise money for those in need.

Related Links

Full story from KSLSports.com...