What's new

LASIK

The Thriller

Have any of you done any LASIK? I’m looking at Hoopes Vision in Draper and Eye Institute in Millcreek. Haven’t set anything up but those are the two places I’ve heard are good.

Any of you have experience with this? How long is the consultation appointment?
How long does it take from the consultation appointment to surgery?
What about cost?

My wife had lasik done at hoops. It was fantastic. Super quick, easy, painless, and made her vision perfect. That was like 10 years ago and her vision is still perfect.

Was pricey though. About 4 grand iirc. Well worth it imo

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
Isn't SMILE already available in Utah?
I am 45 years old, glasses with -2 ... -5 since i was teenager. I would say that "-" glasses are OK, but now i have a glasses with both "-" and "+" areas and i would state, that if it would be easy to correct the "+" part i would do it quite certainly :). In real life the "+" (i have +1,2) is much more annoying than "-" glasses.

I had it done back in 2006. Cost me around $2000 at the time. Literally the best money I’ve ever spent on myself. Still have great vision, other than the fact that I’m old enough to need reading glasses now. Oh and by the way I was farsighted.

I had this a few years ago. Painless, but you can have agitation in the days following the procedure. The consultations before the procedure take longer than the procedure itself. They'll give you prednisone eye drops that keep you awake. Overall: very worth it.

Cost for me was about $2700. Working in healthcare has some serious benefits. The surgery was went great, and was preformed midvalley(next to Fashion Place).

I've considered it for years, but the cost has been a bit prohibitive because if I get it, the wife would also want it and there's no 2 for 1 coupons in play here. I really wish employers would lean in more on this corrective vision as my current employer has great benefits, but their vision coverage is still fairly basic.

My father had it ten years ago and loved it - would just recommend doing it on a Friday so you have a few days for your eyes to recover vs. staring at computer screens.

I had it done December of 2019. Looking back, I’m kicking myself for waiting so long. I did it through Dr. Wapner at Advanced Eye Care. His office is in St. Marks Hospital. $2000 out the door. Was a great experience. IIRC, the initial appointment was about the same length of time as a regular eye appointment. I had my lasik done a week later. I was back at work the next day.
He gives referral bonuses (I’d refer him anyway, but this is nice) so give him my name if you go through him.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I had it done December of 2019. Looking back, I’m kicking myself for waiting so long. I did it through Dr. Wapner at Advanced Eye Care. His office is in St. Marks Hospital. $2000 out the door. Was a great experience. IIRC, the initial appointment was about the same length of time as a regular eye appointment. I had my lasik done a week later. I was back at work the next day.
He gives referral bonuses (I’d refer him anyway, but this is nice) so give him my name if you go through him.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app
That's who did mine back in '06!
Did a great job. Sounds like he's kept the same prices.
I can't relate to kicking myself for waiting so long, but I felt your pain of not having it done - they didn't start doing it for farsighted peeps until shortly before I got it done. I was one of the first ones. They actually have to overcorrect a wee bit, because with farsighted people it then retracts just a touch to where things finally end up at.
In other words, I was near sighted for a few days, but then it zero'd in to 20/15, 20/30 for me (and the fact he got my bad eye to 20/30 is amazing given it was about 20/300 before).