What's new

Lone Star

Did you actually watch both?

No.

Thats how bad lone star was. I didnt even watch.

So is the event getting bad reviews? I'm a sucker for shows like that but I dont want to watch it if its just gonna get lone starred after a couple episodes.

I saw both. Personally, I thought The Event was awful. If other people like it, I guess I can't begrudge them, but it's one of those things that makes me feel really out of touch. Before watching The Event, I'd been reading reviews of the new television shows, and I was casting about for something that might be good. The Event was so stupid. Every time they flashed to "11 days earlier" or "13 days earlier" I thought: How much time is left? And I'd check my watch. Oh, 34 more minutes. Jesus, no. Just let it end already.

Holy crap, in my opinion, it was terrible.

LOST, unfortunately, created this formula of a television format based on constantly raising questions in the viewers' minds. All of the shows which have tried to rip this formula off (Happy Town, Flash Forward, etc.) have mercifully flopped. What makes these shows different from LOST is that LOST at least showed the mysteries through the eyes of an interesting set of characters. There was a base conflict shared among them that we, the audience, understood; so once we liked a character, we could at least spend our time rooting for that person to survive the various dangers.

Can anybody tell me about the personality of a single character on The Event?

The Event won't get cancelled very soon. It had strong ratings compared to Lone Star.

But yes, it got generally bad reviews with many saying that in story structure it was essentially a LOST rip-off. So it's the opposite of Lone Star in that sense.

And it's gone.

pour-one-out.jpeg

I hadn't watched the first episode. I will delete both episodes and let it fade away as a footnote in TV history.

I hadn't watched the first episode. I will delete both episodes and let it fade away as a footnote in TV history.

Exactly what I did. Why bother? I only recorded them on Kicky's recommendation, but I'll let them go now.

I'll tell you why I chose The Event over Lone Star when choosing what show to record in that time slot - the promos made The Event seem much more interesting. All I remember from Lone Star ads is the main character just standing there with his arms crossed. He wasn't cute enough to grab my attention. Plus the fact that he has two separate lives with two women rubbed me the wrong way (I dislike cheating husbands, no matter how charming). If I want to watch a charismatic con artist, I'll stick with "White Collar."

I loved "Lost" even during the times that everyone else got frustrated with it. I have no problem with questions that take a long time to be answered and find that entertaining. I love Jason Ritter. So I will be sticking with "The Event."

I feel your pain, Kicky. I've watched a bunch of shows that get canceled before their time because no one is watching (RIP Firefly).