What's new

Microdiscectomy Surgery

Archie Moses

I'm having microdiscectomy on my lower back (L5 - S1) on Thursday. I've had constant lower back, hip, glute, and leg pain for four years. I got a steroid epidural about 3 months ago and it worked great for 6 weeks.

Has anyone had this done? Thoughts or expectations?

No. Never heard of it. Best wishes for a successful operation and a speedy recovery.

Hope it works for ya
I know it's been an issue for you for a long long time

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm having microdiscectomy on my lower back (L5 - S1) on Thursday. I've had constant lower back, hip, glute, and leg pain for four years. I got a steroid epidural about 3 months ago and it worked great for 6 weeks.

I have, and I am just over a year past the surgery. It's hard to get back, and I admit that I am still struggling with a lot of pain, it is just shifted if that makes sense.

I cannot stay upright for more than an hour or so without a lot of pain, lying on my back for a bit helps with this.

I recommend a lot of walking every day post surgery but in incremental distances. You'll know your limits very quickly. Also, I am currently doing physical therapy for it and we are focusing on core strength. It is helping, albeit in baby steps but it is definitely helping.

May I suggest something?

Find out your “down time” for recovery immediately. If it’s projected to be more than 12 months than file for Social Security disability. It might help bridge the gap in finances.

@Archie Moses feel free to ask me anything about it, like I said, I am still very much in the recovery phase with rehabilitation.
From what my PA told me today, you sound like you're worse case scenario.

My knee surgeries were brutal and were incredibly hard to come back from. My hip surgery I had last year was a walk in the park. My GF had the exact same hip surgery a few months later (we can do it, we put our backs into it) and it kicked her butt.

I was thinking I could be back to work in a week or so. They made me file for a leave of absence and will let me come back to work after my doc signs off on it. Luckily, I have like 140 hours saved up in PTO.

My biggest concern is that this is going to make things worse. I'm desperate at this point to get it fixed. I'm so tired of hurting and my left butt cheek feels like it has a kinked neck.

I'm going into it expecting the worst and hoping for a Wolverine-esque recovery.

Last edited:
I will do almost anything to aavoid back surgery. It is more likely to make the problem worse than to completely fix it - although the most likely outcome is some improvement. And that's back surgery in general, not what you're getting in specific.

Why did you give up after just one round of injection?

I'm a fat ***, but I have very few health issues, other than the one that will kill me which is high blood pressure (and I've had high blood pressure at healthy weight since as early as I've had my blood pressure measured). So other than that killer, my cholesterol is extra good, my liver, despite my drinking, is very healthy, no red flags on anything but blood pressure. So I'll probably die in the next 5 years due to a massive heart attack or stroke or something. I'm on blood pressure medicine but it hardly takes it down to just like OMG this is serious range, despite multiple adjustments.

From what my PA told me today, you sound like you're worse case scenario.

My knee surgeries were brutal and were incredibly hard to come back from. My hip surgery I had last year was a walk in the park. My GF had the exact same hip surgery a few months later (we can do it, we put our backs into it) and it kicked her butt.

I was thinking I could be back to work in a week or so. They made me file for a leave of absence and will let me come back to work after my doc signs off on it. Luckily, I have like 140 hours saved up in PTO.

My biggest concern is that this is going to make things worse. I'm desperate at this point to get it fixed. I'm so tired of hurting and my left butt cheek feels like it has a kinked neck.

I'm going into it expecting the worst and hoping for a Wolverine-esque recovery.

I am definitely on the worse side. It doesn't feel like it helped, merely shifted the pain from.my right side to the center of my spine area.

I would recommend at least 1 month of rest before returning to work though, you're not going to be able to move as quickly or have the same energy levels in the early stages.

I am definitely on the worse side. It doesn't feel like it helped, merely shifted the pain from.my right side to the center of my spine area.

I would recommend at least 1 month of rest before returning to work though, you're not going to be able to move as quickly or have the same energy levels in the early stages.

Here I am telling my work I'll be back within a week or so no problem.

Gawd damn it.

Pain.

Suffering.

Spasms.

This surgery was ****ing terrible.

They somehow scratched my eye pretty good too and it's been leaking all day.

I can't move without my back spasming. When it spasms, it made my pinched nerve pain go from like a 7 to 99.

Watching the game tonight is going to hurt, win or lose.