What's new

Mitchell will romp to the ROY award...

Et tu Brute

Mitchell will win ROY in a cakewalk unless he slows down dramatically.

You all know I am as big a Aussie homer than there is, but Simmons can't compete with what Mitch is doing atm. The 76ers look lost when Embiid isn't out there, and Simmons is generally too passive (due to his shooting limitations) and he has now been figured out by the league. Players are predicting his passes a lot and he is being forced into multiple coverages whenever he wants to attack the rim.

To be fair to Simmons, he is pretty impressive defensively - albeit he doesn't cover the opponents pg on a consistent basis. But his defensive output has surpassed Mitchell's at this time. But in a miss or make league, that hardly matters when talking about individual awards.

The question I have now is, Mitchell is clearly better than Simmons right now... Who will have the better career? Safe bet appears to be Donovan...

If Mitchell keeps having games like he did against Cleveland and the league's biggest stars, he should win in convincing fashion. If not, it's completely rigged.

Simmons, however, is in a major media market, Philly-NYC -- this gives him an upper hand in exposure -- as well as people anointing him before the season even started. Local media and the Jazz need to make a P-R push. And I mean, you, David Locke.

If you picked Roy today, it should be Donovan. But, the notion that Donovan has an insurmountable ROY lead on Simmons (17 ppg, 9 rpg, 8 apg),
Tatum, and the pack is certifiably nuts. And I have been a TOTAL Donovan homer from day 1.

I'm becoming less concerned about ROY and more concerned about him being an all Star this year.

Jazz need to make a run in January and be in the 6th seed to get him into the all Star game this year.

I'm becoming less concerned about ROY and more concerned about him being an all Star this year.

Jazz need to make a run in January and be in the 6th seed to get him into the all Star game this year.
I love the thought, but ‘it’ factor, clutch, excitement, potential, etc. don’t really get you into the ASG. It’s a stats thing, and Mitchell will be held back by his rough start. The West is too deep for him to get in this year. But next year and beyond, the sky is the limit.

I love the thought, but ‘it’ factor, clutch, excitement, potential, etc. don’t really get you into the ASG. It’s a stats thing, and Mitchell will be held back by his rough start. The West is too deep for him to get in this year. But next year and beyond, the sky is the limit.

Leading a team to the playoffs will solid stats will get you into the all-star game. If Jazz are securely in a playoff spot then he has a chance.

For example if we are a higher seed then Portland then Mitchell deserves to make the all-star game over anyone on Portland with how decimated our roster has been. There will also be an injury replacement or two.

He has the stats to get in(assuming he plays at December level or better) he just needs the Ws.

Lets look at the stats for him getting in. 13 players from the West make it in.

Mitchell is #20 in scoring in the West right now. Assuming Jazz are securely in the playoffs in the 6th seed (this has to happen for him to be an all-star) he has a chance based on this stuff.

He has played the least amount of minutes of any top 20 scorer in the West. If we just look at what he has done in December compared to everyone he would be the 8th highest scorer. If he averages what he did in December in January then his scoring average will come up close to 20ppg putting him about 14th.

People ahead of him that wont get in: Booker (team sucks) Barnes (team sucks) Gasol (team sucks) TJ Warren (team sucks) Tyreke (team sucks) Eric Gordon (he might but I doubt they put in 3 from houston although if CP3 isnt in then maybe) Klay (he might again but I doubt they put in 3 again for them if they arent way ahead in the standing and they might not be in first place) Lou Williams (team sucks) CJ McCollum (If Jazz have a better record or close they are not putting in 2 from Portland without 1 from Jazz) Cousins (If they are not in a playoff spot will they really put in 2 from that team?)

So, yeah I think he has a chance.

Last edited:
It wouls be amazin but I just don't see how he gets in the all star game this year. The West is just too loaded.

They'll give it to Simmons. Even if Mitchell happens to end the year with better stats and a bigger impact on his team. Mitchell won't make the All Star game this year either. Awards and All Star games are a damn media popularity contest. They aren't about who the better players are. Our players aren't sitting at the cool kids table so they aren't invited. Why do you think Gobert lost the DPOY last year when he was clearly the best defender in the league?

They'll give it to Simmons. Even if Mitchell happens to end the year with better stats and a bigger impact on his team. Mitchell won't make the All Star game this year either. Awards and All Star games are a damn media popularity contest. They aren't about who the better players are. Our players aren't sitting at the cool kids table so they aren't invited. Why do you think Gobert lost the DPOY last year when he was clearly the best defender in the league?
Nah, I totally disagree. I think people would prefer to give it to Mitchell and he only won't get it if Simmons handily beats him in stats. Mitchell is more exciting and has MUCH more scoring ability. Simmons has him beat all around, and defensively (for now). But Mitchell wins all of the intangible battles.

He's exciting as hell, no weaknesses, and is the type of player that people all around the league fall in love with, not just people in Utah. He just has the look about him. If Mitchell earns ROTY he will get it, I'm very confident.

but dont the players pick the ASG this year?

No, the players are still picked the same way - public voting for the top 5, then the coaches vote. But the teams are determined by the team captains - Probably Lebron and Curry, but possibly not. The captains are the top vote-getters in each conference.

well maybe Mitchell has a chance considering the respect he is getting from the stars of the league.

The all stars are chosen the same way as always. The players have no say.

I'm actually thinking that Mitchell may be the first Jazz player (eventually, not this year) who gets voted in by the public as a starter. Kid is just so damn likable and plays the right kind of ball to get noticed.

I'm actually thinking that Mitchell may be the first Jazz player (eventually, not this year) who gets voted in by the public as a starter. Kid is just so damn likable and plays the right kind of ball to get noticed.
I'm pretty sure Karl and John were voted multiple times as starters in the All Star game.

Mitchell is going to have to break at least 20ppg to get ROY.

Very do'able.

I think "hack-a-Ben" is making Philly change their game plan a little bit. Simmons offensive numbers dropped off in December (although his efficiency #'s are holding steady)

l also think Simmons is a much bigger candidate for the rookie wall than DM - although over usage is a bigger concern for DM.