What's new

Mitchell won't defend Dunk contest title...

Well everyone, what do you all think about this? I think it's fine, I wasn't expecting he would to be honest. Putting the team first is the most amazing thing a player would do, I love this guy.

1000% support this. Was great for his brand and was fun as hell. Dunk contest isn’t for dudes that are the key cog on a western conference finals team.

Send rookies and unknown dudes and the Aaron Gordon’s of the world.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...mitchell-wont-defend-nba-slam-dunk-title.html

“I loved doing the dunk contest last year and it was a ton of fun, but I also know it takes a lot of focus, practice and preparation,” Mitchell told the Deseret News. “Right now, my mind is really on helping my team make a deep run (in the) second half of the season. I’m excited though for the weekend, I’m going to be able to be a part of some great events.”

I'm so glad we have Donovan Mitchell. If he never does another dunk contest, I'm okay with that. Honestly, I want him to enter the three point contest at some point. If he could win that, how legendary would that be?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...mitchell-wont-defend-nba-slam-dunk-title.html

“I loved doing the dunk contest last year and it was a ton of fun, but I also know it takes a lot of focus, practice and preparation,” Mitchell told the Deseret News. “Right now, my mind is really on helping my team make a deep run (in the) second half of the season. I’m excited though for the weekend, I’m going to be able to be a part of some great events.”

I'm so glad we have Donovan Mitchell. If he never does another dunk contest, I'm okay with that. Honestly, I want him to enter the three point contest at some point. If he could win that, how legendary would that be?

Dennis Smith half-assed it last year and looked bad. DM takes **** seriously so he'd need to prepare and that stuff can take a toll... he is well-known now and will expand his superstarness in other ways during the weekend. This is smart by him.

Call me old school, but I’m disappointed in Mitchell not doing the contest this year. I miss the spirit of competition that was back in the day. Probably why I don’t get the same satisfaction watching sports today as in years past. Just not the same passion anymore. As a champion I’d feel a sense of pride and angst to prove I’m still the best. These qualities just aren’t traits you find in players these days. I’d be damned if I was to win something not to go back and keep my title

Glad he's not in it, that way I don't feel like I have to watch it.

Honestly, for me, the dunk contest is the most boring thing to watch. I didn't watch it last year, but watched the highlights on Youtube to see what DM did.

What was good for Jordan and others isn’t good for Mitchell?

It was different then. Now they have to do something so different it takes a lot of practice and coordination... he had a dunk coach last year. You want him taking his practice time and working on cool dunks? Zach Lavine defended his dunk contest title too... is he MJ?

I still like the dunk contest, but its so hard to find original dunks now... so much has been done. It's still entertaining. 3 pt contest is pretty fun.

He had all damn year to think up new dunks, or continue to pay tribute to other great past dunkers. All of these reasons you guys are coming up with for Mitchell are nothing but excuses

He won it last year. What's the point in defending it? Rest, relax, get ready for some run up the standings after the All star break.

Call me old school, but I’m disappointed in Mitchell not doing the contest this year. I miss the spirit of competition that was back in the day. Probably why I don’t get the same satisfaction watching sports today as in years past. Just not the same passion anymore. As a champion I’d feel a sense of pride and angst to prove I’m still the best. These qualities just aren’t traits you find in players these days. I’d be damned if I was to win something not to go back and keep my title
I'm glad DM isn't doing it this year but I totally understand where you are coming from and mostly agree.

Also, I don't think DM was all that great in the dunk contest when compared with other dunk contest guys. It was a weak dunk contest last year. Still loved watching him win but if he had to go against a true great (lavine, Iggy, Gerald green, Gordon, Richardson, Kemp, Jordan, nique, VC, even Dwight howard etc etc) he would get his *** kicked.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I still like the dunk contest, but its so hard to find original dunks now... so much has been done. It's still entertaining. 3 pt contest is pretty fun.
I like it too.
I wish they would change the format to a HORSE style. Like I do a dunk and see if you can do it too. If you can't you get a letter. If you can, the judges judge who did it better and the one with the lower score gets a letter.

Would also like to see a high dunk competition. Keep raising the hoop a few inches until only one guy can dunk on it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Was Korver ever in the three point contest?