What's new

MLB umpire Jim Joyce killed by mob of angry fans in Detroit

Word is the ump is completely distraught, apologized to Galarraga, he accepted the apology, and they shared a hug. I take back what I said. At least we will get instant replay in baseball out of this.

Holy **** I would firebomb that dude's car if he robbed me of a perfect game.

Word is the ump is completely distraught, apologized to Galarraga, he accepted the apology, and they shared a hug. I take back what I said. At least we will get instant replay in baseball out of this.

This won't change a thing. It took baseball over 10 years to finally put in instant replay on home run (fair/foul) calls. There's no way instant replay will expand in baseball until Selig is out of office.

Don Denkinger, Dick Bavetta, and Ed Hochuli all think that was the worst call ever.

At least Joyce owned up to it and addressed the media. Stern would have had him sheltered and would have fined anyone who criticized the call.

I'll say that Joyce handled the aftermath in the best possible way. I'm not even mad at him; I feel sorry for him.

What I find bizarre is that he just didn't call him out to be safe. At least that controversy would have been much less than this one.

Both Joyce and Galarraga handled the situation in the classiest way possible. I feel for Joyce, he had half a second to make a call that the media can now stew over for months. He manned up and took his medicine.

Interesting side note: Sportscenter just said that Joyce was voted the players second favorite umpire in 03 and 06. Hopefully he and Galarraga get past this quickly.

wow. just wow. what a bummer for all concerned.

well I hope some good script writer writes a really good screenplay or something and both Gallaraga and the umpire get some nice residuals or something. Maybe he'll end up even more famous this way.

In a similar vein, was anybody watching the overtime period in the Flyers/Blackhawks game when the Flyers shot bounced off the post and slid along the goal line before Niemi stopped it? Pretty amazing - and a situation where instant replay was helpful and necessary. Too bad the Blackhawks couldn't take advantage.

What I find bizarre is that he just didn't call him out to be safe. At least that controversy would have been much less than this one.

Joyce screwed up majorly, his job is to get the call right and he blew it on the last play of a perfect game. He should feel awful. You got to have some baseball savvy and make sure you make the correct call at that moment.

Cabrera was quoted after the game -- "He needs to do a better job in that situation. It wasn't even close," he said.

2 things from this.

The pitcher showed some much class after the game saying no one is perfect. What a classy guy. Anyone else listen to him?

The ump owned it like the Lakers owned the Jazz. Hats off to him too. He feels really bad, which he should.

Interesting article written by Curt Schilling

Umpires … Yeah, they're human.

Lord knows I had my share of disputes, and I'll be first in line to say there are umpires in the big leagues who have no business being there. I do believe they should be held to a standard, a major league standard in all aspects of everything they do.

Having said that, I watched in horror Wednesday night as Armando Galarraga lost a perfect game because of a blown call by umpire Jim Joyce. My heart broke for two reasons. First off, the kid did it. He threw a perfect game that was ruined by a bad call.

The second reason was Jim Joyce does not -- and will not -- deserve 99 percent of the stupid things people will say about him in the coming days. Jim Joyce is, and always has been, an exceptional umpire and a fantastic guy. I had my run-ins with him; not often, but we did.

"I don't blame them a bit or anything that was said," Joyce said. "I would've said it myself if I had been Galarraga. I would've been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me."

Joyce is a rare bird for this reason. He'll be the first to admit, as he did Wednesday, when he makes a mistake. He's a damn good umpire, incredibly consistent, which wins him votes with hitters and pitchers, but most of all accountable. That's the one thing so many young umpires have failed, and continue to fail to realize. We gripe a lot, too much sometimes, as players. Hitters gripe about strikes, pitchers gripe about balls.

Too many umpires fail to realize the quickest way to shut a player up is to admit when you are wrong. What can I do when an umpire says "Yep, missed it"?

The answer? Nothing. The great ones, Steve Palermo, Ed Rapuano, Jim Joyce, to name a few, do that, and always have. Frank Pulli didn't admit it much, but often enough that you never got too mad.

Calling it the biggest call of his career, Joyce said, "I just cost that kid a perfect game. I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."

Umpires have been in the news far too much lately. The incident with Bill Hohn, who tossed Roy Oswalt over the weekend, was a shining example of what's wrong with umpires. Too many are trying to be the game, instead of umpire the game. Angel Hernandez did it on Tuesday night in the ninth inning in Toronto. He did make the right call, but there is a right way and wrong way to handle it. Angel was always good to me, and I respected him, but I always thought his confrontational attitude got him more detractors than he deserved as well as pushed him into more arguments.

Joe West? Same thing. Despite what some say, the guy is a good umpire. Smaller strike zone than I would have liked, but Joe was always consistent -- strike one was strike three. His attitude and demeanor get him into more arguments than his calls, I think.

So yeah, Jim Joyce made a call Wednesday he'll never forget, for all the wrong reasons, he changed history I guess. But I would ask you, if you know baseball, to trust me when I tell you NO ONE feels worse than he does right now, not even Armando Galarraga, I give you my word on that.

https://espn.go.com/mlb/notebook/_/page/bbtn100603/baseball-tonight-clubhouse

It tells you how invincible refs usually behave that one admits that he's wrong and we're all practically in awe.

Thats gotta be the most frustrating feeling in sports. Dang we could have had THREE perfect games within a month. Freakin Crazy

You know the ump had to be aware of a perfect game brewing. In a close call like that, err on the side of history. It would have been the last out of the third perfect game in a month. I don't think anybody would have cared if the call were wrong the other way.

I was impressed with the fact that the UMP owned up to his mistake, but seriously? One of the worst and most ballzy calls I've ever seen. Lots of props to the Tiger defense. The pitcher only struck out 3 batters.

You know the ump had to be aware of a perfect game brewing. In a close call like that, err on the side of history. It would have been the last out of the third perfect game in a month. I don't think anybody would have cared if the call were wrong the other way.

I agree. That's what's really puzzling to me. I think he probably had a total brain (banned word that rhymes with art)