What's new

Myanmar/Burma

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
So just a short time after they regain democracy the party backed by the military got trounced in the election so the military leaders claim it was a fraudulent election and stage a coup.

I wonder what major world nation could have inspired them to use this tactic?

(CNN)Myanmar's military seized power of the Southeast Asian country in a coup on Monday, after detaining the country's civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi and numerous other top government figures.
In a television address, the army announced that power had been handed to the commander-in-chief of the armed forces, and that it was declaring a national state of emergency for one year.
Suu Kyi and several state ministers are being detained in the capital Naypyidaw, according to a spokesman for the governing National League for Democracy (NLD).

Donald must be so proud.

The U.S. has historically been a force for democracy. 5 years ago it probably would have been scary for these military leaders to stage a coup in a burgeoning democracy. In the wake of the Trump era they have been emboldened. Just like all the racists and white nationalists have been emboldened here.

This is Trump's legacy.

I will remember him like I remember an orange skid mark in a pair of underpants that I decide to throw away rather than wash.

I have a hard time calling this one a coup, the military went from 95% control of the country to 100%. For the folks there (outside a few politicians) I doubt anything has changed. If we weren't publicly denouncing/intervening before I doubt we will be now.

I have a hard time calling this one a coup, the military went from 95% control of the country to 100%. For the folks there (outside a few politicians) I doubt anything has changed. If we weren't publicly denouncing/intervening before I doubt we will be now.
I was doing business with some people there this week. I know having their internet turned off was a big deal and they are very worried about it. The country was very supportive of the elected president. I don't think usa should get involved though.

I was doing business with some people there this week. I know having their internet turned off was a big deal and they are very worried about it. The country was very supportive of the elected president. I don't think usa should get involved though.

Fair enough, I'm certainly hoping for the best for them, but that's about all I've got from here

Sadly this is still ongoing without any real attention.

There have been some sanctions but thats about it. Its too poor of a country for anyone to care much about.

There have been some sanctions but thats about it. Its too poor of a country for anyone to care much about.
That's unfortunate. I'm guilty here too. I made this thread, and it was a Trump slam thread, and when I got a notification (because I get notifications for posts in threads I start) I was like "what's this?"

I really haven't thought about this since posting the thread.

That's unfortunate. I'm guilty here too. I made this thread, and it was a Trump slam thread, and when I got a notification (because I get notifications for posts in threads I start) I was like "what's this?"

I really haven't thought about this since posting the thread.
Its not in the news at all anymore. To be honest I have personal interest there and I still forget about it a bit. Mostly just with all the outrage about Ukraine stuff it makes me sad this got little to no attention and never really will. Despite the fact that its been very awful for the people living there. So many people gunned down at protests and imprisoned. False charges against anyone that opposes. The internet has been turned off at times and other issues with it.

The people have no chance of fighting back against the military there despite the vast majority favoring democracy and opposing the military takeover. They just dont have any major resources or care from other countries to really interject. Plus its in a place most western countries dont want to be involved at. China is the only country that could really do something, but that is not going to happen. They dont do things like that and never will. Most the ethnic Chinese people living there for generations or less have snuck or tried to sneak across the border back into China. Due to the virus and closed border though its been a disaster.

Aung San Suu Kyi hasn't exactly set the world on fire as a defender of freedom since her release from prison, I understand the military maintain enormous power and the politicians have for the most part either been puppets or in prison.

If only they had oil. (they do but not much) I thought they used to be a leading producer of rubber? everything is synthetic these days...