What's new

NBA.com: Hot and Cold. The inconstitant Jazz.

BTW, misspelling the **** out of the thread title FTW. I would appreciate a Mod edit if possible.

Given their deficiancies the Jazz have accomplished several great wins, but I think the slow starts are going to catch up with the jazz, same with the rebounding and 3pt shooting.

On the subject of the slow starts, I recall that the Karl malone, John Stockton teams of the Bobby Hansen/Thurl Bailey era were also notorius slow starters. The trouble as I rember it was that the jazz tried to involve everyone in the offense during the first few minutes of the game. Once they settled into the offense and just gave Karl the ball their offense improved. I wonder if a similar problem exists on this team, do they try too hard to involve everyone at the start of the game? Would more Jefferson and DWill in the first 5 minutes of the game solve the problem?

Reactions: UB
Utah has traditionally started slow under Jerry Sloan and produced its best play in the second half of the season. I still believe the 1997 Jazz own the NBA record for best second half record in league history at 36–5.

My hope is they become more consistent in the second half of the season and coupled with their already good start, they're successful enough to grab a 1-3 seed heading into the playoffs.

With the thread title, I was expecting a link to Katy Perry's fantastic music video. I think the Jazz should use Perry's song during player introductions. It might shame the team into playing better in the first quarter.

Reactions: UB
Where did he compare us to Indiana? He said we are garbage in the 1st Q, which is 100% true.

He said we are as inconsistent as them from quarter to quarter, not game to game. Maybe he could have worded it better, but I've read Schuhmann's stuff before and he is legit. I guarantee he wasn't trying to say that we are as bad as Indiana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X75mry1LcFg

You're hooked on that blow, the next thing you know, you move in town, you're ****ing a clown.

Utah has traditionally started slow under Jerry Sloan and produced its best play in the second half of the season. I still believe the 1997 Jazz own the NBA record for best second half record in league history at 36–5.

That team was great at closing games.

But that stat doesn't refer to closing halves -- in the context of in-game quarters -- instead it refers to the best second half win/loss record in NBA history.

I don't see the relevance in relation to this team's up/down or down/up play by quarter. One thing I think is being overlooked is how rule changes are precipitating this type of play, though. It's much harder to fully control a game from start to finish with the hand-check changes conflated with zone implementation; the current system allows for far quicker, bigger, runs that mean less.

Phoenix Suns basketball.

He said Indiana was bad, and in their case being inconsistent is good. Nothing about the Jazz being bad. The Jazz are a good team, and if they were consistent they would be a better one.

That team was great at closing games.

But that stat doesn't refer to closing halves -- in the context of in-game quarters -- instead it refers to the best second half win/loss record in NBA history.

I don't see the relevance in relation to this team's up/down or down/up play by quarter. One thing I think is being overlooked is how rule changes are precipitating this type of play, though. It's much harder to fully control a game from start to finish with the hand-check changes conflated with zone implementation; the current system allows for far quicker, bigger, runs that mean less.

Phoenix Suns basketball.

Relevant, I guess, in my hope that by the second half of the season, Utah will be far more consistent in its play throughout a game than they are currently.

They've had as good of start as one could have expected and it's put them in the position for a nice seed in the playoffs. However, that will require shoring up the issues explained in this article and if they can't, I'm afraid this team will falter in the second half and probably settle in as a fifth seed - just like every other year.

Of course, my hope is that the Jazz have traditionally struggled earlier in the season and put it together in the second half. That was the case last three seasons and I hope it carries over into this one, as well.

Now while I agree that deficits in the NBA today aren't nearly as devastating as years ago, it's still a troubling trend. Utah can't play from behind all season because sooner or later, they're not going to luck out and beat a team. We've seen this in home losses against Miami and Dallas and to a lesser extent, Portland.

If that isn't fixed in the second half, they're going to lose some games (well obviously, but more than we'd like).

Meh. They just need some constitantipators.

That guy is an idiot if he doesn't apprstitate the guiness in Sloan's team's ability to make curstial 2nd half adjustimates.

Jerry Sloan teams always seem be better after Januray. Remember last year? What were we? 19-19? Where did we end up?

I am looking at the schedule and we can easily go 12-4 in Jan and win 55-57 games overall, even if our consistency only slightly improves. Main thing is health. AK's back spasms are as certain as death and tazes these days. Memo has to stop from getting these niggling injuries. If Deron, Al Jeff, AK, Okur, Miles, Bell, Millsap dont miss more than 10-14 games between them for the rest of the year, we'll be in pretty good shape.