What's new

Prediction thread: How many points does Ingles average per game?

how many ppg for Ingles in 2018-2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ya but that reverse layup is an extremely easy shot for burks (or pretty much anyone tbh). Its shocking that he missed.
I dont want our players passing up easy layups and dunks for threes.

Said it elsewhere... it looked like he hesitated just a touch on that one... looked like he was thinking about throwing it to the corner and it threw him off. I agree with your point though and I think many of our guys pass those shots up too much.

17 ppg is practically impossible. He just never gets to the FT line.

I looked it up: I took Ingles highest season free throw rate (this has shown no sign of improving) and looked for anyone who had that same free throw rate or lower who averaged 17 ppg in the NBA.

https://www.basketball-reference.co..._fga_pct&c2comp=lt&c2val=.151&order_by=player

He just doesnt shoot enough. He would probably have to shoot, at minimum, 13 times per game to average 17 points.

The most shots he has ever averaged per game for a month is 11 and he averaged 14.7 points in that month.

Numbers, stats, figures, science... none of that applies... he is the Benjamin Button of the NBA... he’s Joe Frickin Ingles... if he wants to score 17 he will make it happen.

I looked it up: I took Ingles highest season free throw rate (this has shown no sign of improving) and looked for anyone who had that same free throw rate or lower who averaged 17 ppg in the NBA.

https://www.basketball-reference.co..._fga_pct&c2comp=lt&c2val=.151&order_by=player

He just doesnt shoot enough. He would probably have to shoot, at minimum, 13 times per game to average 17 points.

The most shots he has ever averaged per game for a month is 11 and he averaged 14.7 points in that month.

This team got Hood 14 shots per game. There are plenty more shots available for Ingles he just has to look for them. I think we'll see him taking a lot more quick pullups when Utah forces teams to go under.

It sounds like I should start another prediction thread for you: How many shots will Joe take?

btw, those who are arguing that he'll average more points are definitely also arguing that he'll be shooting it more.

This team got Hood 14 shots per game. There are plenty more shots available for Ingles he just has to look for them. I think we'll see him taking a lot more quick pullups when Utah forces teams to go under.
Because Hood can get his shot off at all times and always looks to shoot.

Joe does neither

It sounds like I should start another prediction thread for you: How many shots will Joe take?

btw, those who are arguing that he'll average more points are definitely also arguing that he'll be shooting it more.
I would guess 11 at most.

Numbers, stats, figures, science... none of that applies... he is the Benjamin Button of the NBA... he’s Joe Frickin Ingles... if he wants to score 17 he will make it happen.
Only if he shoots more shots per game for a whole season than he has for any month stretch of games and/or magically learns to draw fouls.

I think he’s looking for his shot a little more, so around 13 to 15 points per game. Seems like he has the green light. His shot selection is terrific. You almost never see him taking a bad shot.

You know what would be awsome? If someone made a compilation of Joe Ingles and every time an announcer besides the Jazz refers to his looks (looking like a math teacher,) being slow, being white and all the stereotypes people think and say about him during games and then transfer that into a highlight video.

@prodigy

The only way Joe gets to 17 ppg is if he shoots 48-50% from 3.
I didn't realize he was only at 11.5 last year, so you're probably right, and 14 or so is the better number.

Last year he jumped from 7.1 to 11.5.

But he is taking shots right in dudes faces now, seems like he definitely will continue his upward trajectory (1 game, but why should we think otherwise).

I <3 joe

Kinda seems like some easy dots to connect. He passes up a lot of shots... I think he can get enough shots off tbh. Joe maybe in his 40s but he is just now coming into his own.

If pace keeps this high (I don't think it will) then there are more shot opportunities for everyone... That is another factor to consider. I feel safe in the 14-17 range.

Only if he shoots more shots per game for a whole season than he has for any month stretch of games and/or magically learns to draw fouls.
He had some floaters against the kings. If that works for him, he may choose to shoot instead of passing out like last year and that may force defenders up and he could try his scoop lay-up. That little hesitation could lead to some fouls.

To go along with your take, i could also see him playing less minutes due to our depth/health and that i think we will win more games comfortably and he will sit at the end more often.

To go along with your take, i could also see him playing less minutes due to our depth/health and that i think we will win more games comfortably and he will sit at the end more often.

I don't know if he'll play fewer minutes. He's become our primary ball handler after Ricky. In Sacramento, he ran the point even when Exum was on the floor.

He's becoming something like the new Hedo Turkoglu playing with the ball in his hands.

Last edited:
I was looking for 6-7 but then I realized you said "points" not "pints"

I don't know if he'll play fewer minutes. He's become our primary ball handler after Ricky. In Sacramento, he ran the point even when Exum was on the floor.

He's becoming something like the new Hedo Turkoglu playing with the ball in his hands.

Good point