What's new

premature evaluation draft poll

premature evaluation draft poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With the threads about Favors and Hayward's impending fatherhood and their tiles like "hockey pucks getting passed goalies" etc., every time I see this thread title I think it says premature ejac- rather than eval-

Did anyone see that the Hollinger playoff odds peg us for 34 wins by the end of the year -- good for a tie 11/12th pick? Maybe better set sights lower.

Did anyone see that the Hollinger playoff odds peg us for 34 wins by the end of the year -- good for a tie 11/12th pick? Maybe better set sights lower.

Holinger doesn't know the mind of Lindsey the tanker. We shall see new techniques employed. The tank will not fail, 27 wins is within grasp.

I think 34 might be a stretch, but 30 is not by any means unreasonable. Other teams have more incentive to tank whereas we want to learn how to win more than get 5 spots lower. I also think that Super Mario will be available in the 9 - 14th picks at this point. With 30 wins, I think we are still in range.

Woot!

It's WAY too early at this point, but I am liking the pick around that area from what I have seen.

As of right now my top 10 (for the Jazz) would be something along the lines of:

1. Russell- Only player in the draft I view as a perfect fit for our current roster. Potentially elite scorer with the potential to not be a complete liability on defense.

2. Mudiay- Prob not the best fit next to Exum due to being somewhat similar but they could become one of the most dynamic backcourts in the league.

3. Okafor- Arguably the most NBA-ready player in the draft & clearly the best prospect (along w towns) after the 2 above. The offensive oriented big seems to be the better fit along side our defense-first tandem of Favors & Gobert.

4. Towns- Clearly part of the elite 4 in this draft, I actually like his long-term potential better than Okafor's (I know, always go bpa at the top of the draft) but not his fit as he brings a lot of the same skills as the bigs that we currently have.

5. Hezonja- Closest thing to a go-to-scorer after Russell in this draft. Prefer Johnson (slightly) as a prospect but this team will need an alpha dog scorer & Mario could be just that.

6. Johnson- Love his defensive ability, not sold on his offense though. Could help form one of the best defensive starting 5's in the NBA along with our core 4.

7. Porzingis- Don't love the draft (for the jazz) after the top 6, seems like the next best thing as a stretch 4 that could play alongside either Favors or Gobert.

8. Booker- Could be the knock down shooter we will need to unclog the paint with our limited-ranged bigs.

9. WCS- Not the best fit, similar to Towns, but too good of value to pass up.

10. Oubre- Haven't followed him closely enough to say for sure but seems to be the best combination of fit & potential at this spot.

Guess I could have just said Hezonja but curious to see what everyone's top 10's would look like at this point.

Last edited:
I think 34 might be a stretch, but 30 is not by any means unreasonable. Other teams have more incentive to tank whereas we want to learn how to win more than get 5 spots lower. I also think that Super Mario will be available in the 9 - 14th picks at this point. With 30 wins, I think we are still in range.

Woot!

It's WAY too early at this point, but I am liking the pick around that area from what I have seen.
We're doing pretty well given the injuries we've had. I could see a pretty strong finish getting us into the low 30's, especially with Hood and Ingles returning.

As for the OP, Dr. Jones has just about swayed me to Booker. But with Kanter leaving at some point, we'll be weak behind Gobert/Favors. Booker is nice, but I just don't see him as a 30 mins/per player. For that reason, I'm still on the WCS bandwagon. Draft WCS, don't make an offer to Kanter and Utah can free up $10M or so to go after free agent wings. Dominant bigs are just too hard to find; Gobert/WCS would be a defensive dream at the 5.

I want to change my pick for Hezonja... Porzingis has kind of fallen on my board lately...