What's new

Pritchard getting slapped?

Cece

https://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/06/blazers_insider_kevin_pritchar.html
Blazers Insider: Kevin Pritchard, architect of team's success, goes on offensive to protect his job

For the first time since his job status came into question three months ago, Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard on Tuesday went on the offensive.

In a move that was part spontaneous, part strategic, Pritchard told reporters following a workout of draft prospects that he was aware owner Paul Allen was conducting a search for general manager candidates, but that he intended on fighting to keep his job.

"Do your job, do your search," Pritchard said, referring to Allen's company, Vulcan Inc. "May the best man win."

It was an abrupt change in strategy for Pritchard, who has remained quiet and reserved since mid-March, when his agent, Warren LeGarie, said the firing of Tom Penn, Pritchard's right-hand man, signaled that Pritchard was on shaky ground.

Shortly after LeGarie's prediction, Pritchard was told he was no longer welcome to sit next to Allen at Blazers home games.

And on June 5, Yahoo Sports reported Allen had hired a head-hunting firm to identify candidates for Pritchard's job. Given multiple opportunities to dispute the report, no one in the Blazers organization has done so.

Allen, through a spokesperson, said he would not comment on personnel decisions until they were made. He also declined to answer questions about Pritchard, including why he asked him not to sit with him at games.

Vulcan CEO Tod Leiweke, the man who hired Pritchard, declined to comment on Pritchard after the season ended with a first-round playoff loss to Phoenix.

And president Larry Miller has given hollow support at best, saying he and Pritchard are "friends," but never endorsing him as the team's general manager.

But in truth, Pritchard, along with coach Nate McMillan, has been the single biggest force over the past five seasons in directing the Blazers from one of the NBA's worst franchises on and off the court to one of the most promising on and off the court.

He helped draft Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge. He drafted rising star Nicolas Batum, as well as Rudy Fernandez and Jerryd Bayless.

But midway through last season, for some reason, Pritchard said he fell out of favor with Allen.

Funny thing is, it might have been Pritchard's best season as GM. He signed free agent Andre Miller, who was probably the team's most valuable player. He brought on veteran Juwan Howard, who was invaluable as a mentor while providing essential front line depth. And he pulled off a wildly successful deal at the trading deadline, securing Marcus Camby in exchange for Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw.

Said McMillan this weekend:

"All these guys he's drafted have done well. And this year, I mean, Camby was a good move. Juwan was a good move. Andre was a good move. We pretty much think along the same lines when it comes to improving this team to get better."

But, it appears none of it matters. Not the assembling of talent. Not the valuing of character. Not uniting the employees of an organization that once worked in fear of speaking their minds.

In what goes down as one of the biggest head-scratchers in Allen's zany 22-year rule of the Blazers, it appears Pritchard is going to be fired.

Behind the scenes, Pritchard has wavered between heart broken and determined.

He is deeply hurt by what he views as his imminent demise. He loves this team, this town and the people inside the Blazers offices.

Because of that, he is determined to give the team yet another standout draft, for which he is charged with leading on June 24. In a Tuesday report by Chad Ford of ESPN.com, a rival general manager tipped his hat to Pritchard.

"They're going all out right now, which is pretty much par for the course," the rival GM told Ford. "But it's interesting to see this sort of effort given everything else that is going on. He's had as good of a track record as any executive in the league and management is humiliating him. Lots of guys would've just quit. I admire that he's going out swinging."

Last week while in New York scouting for the draft, Pritchard was asked why he continued to remain silent.

"I can't control what they do," Pritchard said. "What I can control is how I attack it."

He figured he would be calculating, wary that his actions were being watched by teams that could be potential job suitors in the coming years. But he would also be protective, ready to go on the offensive if his pride-and-joy was attacked: his ability to lead.

After returning from New York, there were indications he was ready to take an offensive stance.

"Look for another GM; bring it on," he said Monday night. "May the best man win. And if it is me, give me back my control, give me back a say. If it's none of that, yes, it's time for me to leave."

The next afternoon, Pritchard was at ease when he approached a group of about a dozen reporters. He expected to talk about the crop of prospects the team had just worked out.

But in what is becoming THE story with the Blazers, the questions were about his future, even though he is under contract through the 2010-11 season.

"I'm doing my job every single day; coming in here. I'm going to battle every single second to make this the best organization I can," Pritchard said. "At the end of the day ... they're going to make their decision. But until then, I'm going to compete like heck. I've done it all my life, guys. This is not something unusual. I'm OK with it and, again, what I would tell you is this: May the best person win."

Once during the exchange with reporters, Pritchard seemed to catch himself. He realized he had said more than he wanted, so he said "a couple more questions."

After he broke away, I asked him privately why he chose that moment to make his stand, to make his calculated move.

"Why not?" he said with a smile. "What are they going to do, fire me?"

-- Jason Quick

Dang, maybe Utah needs to pick this guy up. Sorry KOC, nothing personal.

If O'Connor were working for Cuban or Allen, I have a feeling he'd be doing a lot more trading. The blame is not his, but Miller's.

If O'Connor were working for Cuban or Allen, I have a feeling he'd be doing a lot more trading. The blame is not his, but Miller's.
Yet people keep saying, fire KOC.

Despite my tongue-in-cheek trade proposal, I have always been somewhat of a KOC apologist. When he's had the opportunity, he's done pretty well. And, IMO, the draft "misses" are probably at least 50% Sloan's fault. I think whatever Jerry wants carries a lot of weight. And, of course, KOC has also had to be reactionary at times, arranging the Giri-Korver deal when Sloan backed the team into a corner.

I agree that the problem with the Jazz making any moves has a lot more to do with the Miller's than it does KOC. The difference between KOC and Pritchard is Pritchard has proven he can get a lot done and all of the moves are lateral at absolute worst.

I agree that the problem with the Jazz making any moves has a lot more to do with the Miller's than it does KOC. The difference between KOC and Pritchard is Pritchard has proven he can get a lot done and all of the moves are lateral at absolute worst.

Just managing to trade Foye for Roy ought to get a free pass for Pritchard for the next decade. And Aldridge was a trade in that same draft, IINM. Sure, blame him for drafting Oden instead of Durant. But most would have done that. Oden looked like a beast coming out of college. Had he developed into even an average presence, Portland could have challenged for a title.

Allen ain't gonna find a better GM than Pritchard.