What's new

Prop 2 Utah

The Thriller

So the LDS Church sent an email out to all members today asking them to vote no against this. So it’s just as good as dead. But are their concerns valid? I didn’t think Prop 2 allowed for rec marijuana or set us on a course for it. But I could be wrong. If that’s the case then kudos to the church for helping utah avoid catastrophe.

I don’t know much about this prop. So im interested in views and information.

Catastrophe? Can you point to catastrophe in other places with rec MJ?

Catastrophe? Can you point to catastrophe in other places with rec MJ?

Catastrophe is probably too strong of a word. I think there are pros and cons to rec marijuana. For sake of full disclosure, I personally want it decriminalized and would be open to rec use. I think we’re locking up way too many people for such petty crimes.

So the LDS Church sent an email out to all members today asking them to vote no against this. So it’s just as good as dead. But are their concerns valid? I didn’t think Prop 2 allowed for rec marijuana or set us on a course for it. But I could be wrong. If that’s the case then kudos to the church for helping utah avoid catastrophe.

Here's a link that was sent out in the email.
https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/marijuana-analysis

I think some of those points are definitely worth being concerned about. Not all. But enough that I will likely vote no. I just wish there were a better medical marijuana bill to choose from.

I think some of those points are definitely worth being concerned about. Not all. But enough that I will likely vote no. I just wish there were a better medical marijuana bill to choose from.

Here’s a rebuttal. The rebuttal makes it more likely that I’ll vote yes. One of the points the church brings up is that people will be able to grow their own weed. Which... isn’t true.

https://libertasutah.org/personal-f...isms-of-the-utah-medical-cannabis-act-prop-2/

From what I understand prop 2 still limits marijuana to be used for medicinal purposes while also applying pressure to the state to provide serves and stop dragging their feet because the state’s Largest lobbyist has so much influence in the legislature. If the state fails at keeping their end of the bargain then yes, prop 2 opens the possibilities for more liberal treatment of marijuana.

Right? Is that how you’re reading it too?

What are people’s thoughts on this?

Catastrophe is probably too strong of a word. I think there are pros and cons to rec marijuana. For sake of full disclosure, I personally want it decriminalized and would be open to rec use. I think we’re locking up way too many people for such petty crimes.

wait if you want it decriminalized for rec use why would it be a catastrophe?

God would people read the damn thing. It IS a medical bill. Also you’re right the catastrophe isn’t the millions we as a country spend to keep one of the safest most natural drugs off the street while leaving pills with much more damaging and addictive issues. Yeah marijuana is sure the boogie man.

This law is a very limited version of medical marijauna.(no smoke, all edible, limited THC levels)

The central issue is not wether MJ is a perfect sulotuon for patients but is it better for many of those patients than the alternative, Opiates. The answer to that question is absolutely yes. When we are considering the possible ramifications to people's lives we should do so with an honest assessment of the alternatives. On every measure (besides effectiveness) MJ is a better option than opiates. Less addictive, better for the organs, no chance of overdose death, maintaining some measure of lucidity, etc. IMV MJ should not only be available for a doctor and patient to try first but it should be recommended.

You may not think this initiative is perfect but I urge all of you not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I know someone who owns a greenhouse and raises vegetables that he sales to stores. If you actually think this **** won’t be extremely heavily regulated you’re crazy. He said it’s a nightmare to get to the point you can even grow it because he’s been looking into it for if this passes. The church wants to make it sound like it’s going to be unregulated that is not anywhere near the truth, not even close.

Thanks, I'll read it through.

It’s interesting and explains why certain provisions are in prop 2. I originally didn’t know much about prop 2 until today. Been too busy.

Why is the lds Church taking a stand on this? If you’re gonna email members about politics, I would’ve thought Latino kids in cages would’ve been it. Does the church view marijuana as a violation of the WoW? I wasn’t aware of their views until the email today.

Very personal anecdotal story

When my sister was fighting her battle with cancer and the awful but only hope chemo treatment opiates were the only legal and regulated option for her pain. She hated them. One of her biggest complaints was that she just wanted to be awake.
She didn't use MJ but decided to try it. The only option available was to obtain it illegally. An unregulated black market narcotic designed to get you high. Dope with high levels of THC and likely lower levels of other beneficial canabonoids. She didn't like that either. It put her out too. I hate to think that there likely was some more mellow strain that could have afforded her both more comfort and dignity in her last few months.

Seriously who the **** do you people think you are? Can you not understand the desperation that people feel? Can you not empathize with people in agony who just want aN opportunity to try something that might make their short lives more liveable? Why are your fears more relevant than theirs?

Very personal anecdotal story

When my sister was fighting her battle with cancer and the awful but only hope chemo treatment opiates were the only legal and regulated option for her pain. She hated them. One of her biggest complaints was that she just wanted to be awake.
She didn't use MJ but decided to try it. The only option available was to obtain it illegally. An unregulated black market narcotic designed to get you high. Dope with high levels of THC and likely lower levels of other beneficial canabonoids. She didn't like that either. It put her out too. I hate to think that there likely was some more mellow strain that could have afforded her both more comfort and dignity in her last few months.

Seriously who the **** do you people think you are? Can you not understand the desperation that people feel? Can you not empathize with people in agony who just want aN opportunity to try something that might make their short lives more liveable? Why are your fears more relevant than theirs?
No legitimate reason. Even if it was passed recreationally, no one is forcing anyone to smoke it.

Where can you find Prop 2 without reading someone else's take on it?
There are too many news stories to wade through to find a link to the actual document, if it's out there.

I'll go through it again, but a couple of things caught my eye on the first go round.
1- The firm that did the church's assessment seemed more correct than the rebuttal, but the rebuttal was more geared towards the Eagle whatever and not the church's document or the proposition document.
2- I found it interesting that because the federal law is much stronger and restrictive, that there is a section stating that the State cannot expend resources whether that be money or time of law enforcement officers to enforce things that would break federal law but not the new prop 2 state laws if enacted. Basically law enforcement cannot enforce federal law in Utah.
3- All sales are exempt from sales tax.
4- Everything is considered medical cannibis, whether in raw form, or product form.
5- This is not just medical cannibis, this is all cannibis shoved in under the medical cannibis umbrella.
6- It was interesting that there was a section on not allowing cannibis use or handling to be a factor in deciding child custody.
7- Peace officers and child welfare cannot take children into custody solely based on possession of cannibis.
8- While it goes into effect in 2020, basically it goes into effect immediately because if you prove you would have a card, then you are good.
9- The largest portion of this proposition deals with definitions, cannabis cultivation facilities, cannabis dispensaries, and those agents.
10- I can be a cannabis processing facility if I am an individual that acquires or intends to acquire cannabis from a cannabis production establishment; possesses cannibis with the intent to manufacture a cannabis product; manufactures or intends to manufacture a cannabis product from unprocessed cannabis; and sells or intends to sell a cannabis product to a cannabis dispensary.
11- I don't know what it takes to get the cards necessary to be an agent of a cultivation facility, or dispensary, or user, or whatever. That is not included.

Those were just some thoughts as I went through it briefly, not solidified, but just points of interest for me to look into later in greater detail. Read through it yourself though, my thoughts and points of interested are nudged by what is important to me. I would think your biases would affect what you see.

I'll go through it again, but a couple of things caught my eye on the first go round.
1- The firm that did the church's assessment seemed more correct than the rebuttal, but the rebuttal was more geared towards the Eagle whatever and not the church's document or the proposition document.
2- I found it interesting that because the federal law is much stronger and restrictive, that there is a section stating that the State cannot expend resources whether that be money or time of law enforcement officers to enforce things that would break federal law but not the new prop 2 state laws if enacted. Basically law enforcement cannot enforce federal law in Utah.
3- All sales are exempt from sales tax.
4- Everything is considered medical cannibis, whether in raw form, or product form.
5- This is not just medical cannibis, this is all cannibis shoved in under the medical cannibis umbrella.
6- It was interesting that there was a section on not allowing cannibis use or handling to be a factor in deciding child custody.
7- Peace officers and child welfare cannot take children into custody solely based on possession of cannibis.
8- While it goes into effect in 2020, basically it goes into effect immediately because if you prove you would have a card, then you are good.
9- The largest portion of this proposition deals with definitions, cannabis cultivation facilities, cannabis dispensaries, and those agents.
10- I can be a cannabis processing facility if I am an individual that acquires or intends to acquire cannabis from a cannabis production establishment; possesses cannibis with the intent to manufacture a cannabis product; manufactures or intends to manufacture a cannabis product from unprocessed cannabis; and sells or intends to sell a cannabis product to a cannabis dispensary.
11- I don't know what it takes to get the cards necessary to be an agent of a cultivation facility, or dispensary, or user, or whatever. That is not included.

Those were just some thoughts as I went through it briefly, not solidified, but just points of interest for me to look into later in greater detail. Read through it yourself though, my thoughts and points of interested are nudged by what is important to me. I would think your biases would affect what you see.
Both sides have expressed that it needs some fine tuning and that can be done even after if it passes in November. The legislature in this state will make sure some changes are made I have no doubt. My bottom line is, people need it, and the state and legislature has sat on its hands and accomplished nothing on this issue and won’t either if this does not pass. I will be voting for it, their hand needs to be forced to address this issue. The final result will not be exactly what’s in proposition 2 when all is said and done.