What's new

Question about the New posts thing

hgb

Contributor
I have a strong dislike for ending up on New posts. I don't mind the idea of a auto-reloading page like that, but I don't like it and don't want to use it. Previously, I've been regularly bumped to that page while sitting on the front page of the Jazz discussion forum, but lately I have been inelegantly moved to New posts when viewing a thread. I find this pretty annoying. Is this something I can disable somehow?

Actually, it's getting worse. I was now sent to New posts before I managed to post this message, but the message was preserved when I pushed "back".
This is in a browser, btw.

I'm not sure what it is you're describing. I've never experienced anything like that.

You say you're just like sitting on, say, the home screen and without any input from you it loads a "new post" and now you're in that thread looking at said new post?

Yeah. Can’t say I’ve ever seen this and it isn’t a feature we would want. Anyone else?

does it happen on a different device?

how long do you have to sit there idle on the list of threads?

Damn, didn't see you guys had responded, thought I'd get a notification.
Anyway, I get automatically moved from the Jazz forum to the New Posts thing (not any particular new thread, but the New Posts page). Happens quite regularly, can't seem to figure out why or when.
I only read on firefox (on linux) on the desktop, so can't say if it happens elsewhere.

Thanks. I’ll have to try Firefox on a desktop. Can’t say I have Linux sitting around but ... :)

... wondering if it’s related to the ad refresh that happens around 45-60 seconds after page load? I’ll try to reproduce.

Damn, didn't see you guys had responded, thought I'd get a notification.
Anyway, I get automatically moved from the Jazz forum to the New Posts thing (not any particular new thread, but the New Posts page). Happens quite regularly, can't seem to figure out why or when.
I only read on firefox (on linux) on the desktop, so can't say if it happens elsewhere.
You're hardcore!

If interested go to the PC Gamers Unite thread https://www.jazzfanz.com/threads/pc-gamers-unite.20705/ and tell us more.

It's not a great gaming platform, I guess, even though I understand Steam works pretty well.
What kind of platform is it? Not many people use Linux for web browsing, or for business applications, or for, well, much. I fell like most Linux users are using it as a **** you to Microsoft much more than for any advantage Linux gives them in any real world application.

What kind of platform is it? Not many people use Linux for web browsing, or for business applications, or for, well, much. I fell like most Linux users are using it as a **** you to Microsoft much more than for any advantage Linux gives them in any real world application.
Well, you can use a linux system pretty much the same way as Windows if you like, or you can be more command-line oriented (like me). In any case, the browser is the same, steam would be the same, libreoffice would be the same (no MS Office, though, IIRC). For me it's just better than Windows at everything (since I'm not a gamer) and I know it. As for platform, I run on a regular Intel NUC at my home office, more beefy PC at work (miss my office...) and on a standard Lenovo laptop.

I really can't reproduce this but did remove some level of the auto-refresh on the thread page so curious if it results in any change for this issue. @hgb lemme know.

It seems better recently. I really do think the auto-refresh stuff has been a good change, thanks @Jason.