What's new

R. Lee Ermey Dies

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/16/entertainment/r-lee-ermey-obit/index.html

(CNN)R. Lee Ermey, the actor known for his Golden Globe-nominated role as an intimidating drill sergeant in "Full Metal Jacket," died Sunday at the age of 74, according to his manager.

Ermey died from complications of pneumonia, said Bill Rogin, his manager, in a post on Twitter.CNN's calls and emails to Rogin were not returned.
Ermey played the role of the tough Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, who trains a new group of recruits in the 1987 film "Full Metal Jacket." He received a Golden Globe best supporting actor nomination in the movie directed by Stanley Kubrick.
The Vietnam veteran brought authenticity to the role after having served in the Marine Corps from 1961 to 1972. He spent two years as a drill instructor at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego and rose to the rank of staff sergeant. He was medically retired for injuries in 1971 and in 2002 he received an honorary promotion to gunnery sergeant, according to a biography on his website.
"It is extremely difficult to truly quantify all of the great things this man has selflessly done for, and on behalf of, our many men and women in uniform," Rogin said in a statement issued on Facebook.

Great actor. Although I mostly remember him from Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Saving Silverman.

I saw him live when he was doing a USO tour and my ship was in the gulf. He came onboard. He was tired, but he delivered his monologue from the opening scene of FMJ like a pro. I had the DVD of Full Metal Jacket and I was going to get it signed, but the line was long and I was supposed to be running a poker game, so I went and played the poker game. I don't want to be overdramatic, but it is something I regret very much. I should have gotten my Full Metal Jacket DVD signed by R. Lee Ermey.

Now Harry Anderson the judge from Night Court has died. I really loved that show. Great cast.

My favorite quote from Ermey is he loved chicks with big asses because he'd have somewhere to put his ashtray when he was banging them.

Reactions: MVP
I don't want to be overdramatic, but it is something I regret very much. I should have gotten my Full Metal Jacket DVD signed by R. Lee Ermey.
Know the feeling. I always wish I could have gotten a picture with Dennis Farina and was very disappointed when I heard he died.

RIP

His audition for that FMJ role is legendary, he sent in a homemade tape to Kubruck of screaming insults as oranges and tennis balls were being hurled at him...