What's new

RealGM: The Emergence Of Rudy Gobert

We can see it already in games. Rudy changes the nature and tone of the game. You see lots of 3's and mid-range jumpers when he is in the game, and then direct attacks of the rim when he is out of the game. This will just improve with experience. He is going to be completely devastating on the defensive end in 2 years. We may be watching the emergence of the next great defensive center of the NBA, and he may end up being one for the ages. Damn fun to watch that's for sure.

It's become even comical sometimes the way you see opposing players changing their shots or straight up running away from having to drive into Gobert's land. Guys we lucked out...

Mutumbo is goberts worst case scenario imo

We can see it already in games. Rudy changes the nature and tone of the game. You see lots of 3's and mid-range jumpers when he is in the game, and then direct attacks of the rim when he is out of the game. This will just improve with experience. He is going to be completely devastating on the defensive end in 2 years. We may be watching the emergence of the next great defensive center of the NBA, and he may end up being one for the ages. Damn fun to watch that's for sure.

Wasn't it fun to see him absolutely shut down LA after Aldridge had abused our starters?
If the Jazz just had more offense! That's the problem right now. With Exum and Inlges starting, you just can't have Gobert in the middle. That leaves just Favors and Hayward as offensive threats. And that was evident in the 3rd quarter. LA was a non-factor but Utah couldn't score. Portland put together their run off TO's and fouls. This team REALLY, REALLY needs guards who can shoot.

Wasn't it fun to see him absolutely shut down LA after Aldridge had abused our starters?
If the Jazz just had more offense! That's the problem right now. With Exum and Inlges starting, you just can't have Gobert in the middle. That leaves just Favors and Hayward as offensive threats. And that was evident in the 3rd quarter. LA was a non-factor but Utah couldn't score. Portland put together their run off TO's and fouls. This team REALLY, REALLY needs guards who can shoot.
good point.

Guys, I have faith in dennis Lindsey's drafting ability. We are pretty focused on getting a high draft pick right now, and rightfully so. But one thing that we have a huge advantage over a lot of the league on is our front office and scouts ability. Lindsay was with the Spurs, who drafted Manu, parker and kawhi late in the first round of mid first round. We could get lucky again and get a player of gobert's caliber. And if any team is in position to find those guys, it's the Jazz.

Agreed. The only reason we were in the Portland game at the end the way we were, besides some solid team defense and stellar play from Hayward, was Gobert keeping Portland's bigs from dominating late in the game, as they normally would do, and stopping the easy drives.

I don't think Gobert really needs that much more weight, but he can always use more strength. I really think he just needs to learn positioning.

Anyone who watched Eaton in his early days with the Jazz will notice something similar. He was called for lots of weird fouls, and missed some blocks, because he didn't fully get positioning. It made his huge size and slowness seem worse than it was at times. As he learned positioning he became simply dominant.

I see the same for Gobert. He is young and aggressive, but at times that can cause him to lose track of where he is on the floor. We saw that when he was out of position and Lillard took it to the rim in the 2nd half with that big dunk. Give him another solid year (from right now I mean, so next year All-star Break timeframe) and I think you will see a step-change in his performance, worth at least one more bock per game. Do not be surprised if he hovers around that high 2-blocks per game range for now (2.5-2.7 or so) and into next year, but as he figures out how best to position himself then to see it jump by a block up to a block and a half, with the most improvement coming on weak-side blocks. I expect we may see some kind of "last 15 games" graphic on him toward the end of next season where we see him averaging 3.5- maybe even 4 blocks per game and seriously improved rebounding numbers.

Damn he is the most exciting thing we have had in a long time. Add to that some better outside shooting, improved guard play, and Hayward pushing himself into all-star territory and we could be scary. The dark horse team.

LOVE IT!!!