What's new

Recent slide could signal start of big changes in Utah

Recent slide could signal start of big changes in Utah

Posted Jan 28 2011 10:12AM
• The Jazz are the pick for upper-echelon team in line for the biggest shakeup in the second half. The last couple weeks have been that unacceptably bad, tangibly because of bad defense. But the real concern is mounting chemistry issues. That's the biggest surprise in the six-game losing streak that has included defeats to the Wizards, Nets and 76ers and blowout defeats to the Celtics and Lakers. The same group that showed record-setting heart with a string of huge comebacks on a November road swing now appears so heartless.
• The threat of mood swings like this always existed. Utah's best player, Deron Williams, is emotional, essentially flicking lit firecrackers into the middle of the room last season by holding his impending free agency over the franchise when good friend Ronnie Brewer was traded. Utah's longest-tenured player, Andrei Kirilenko, is emotional. Utah's coach, Jerry Sloan, is emotional. A rock of stability in his longevity, but emotional. If Sloan rides away on his tractor tomorrow, it's not a shock.
• It's getting later faster in Salt Lake City than it is for any team that had hopes of a playoff run. The Lakers were never going over a cliff a few weeks ago -- no matter how many people were having panic attacks. Predictions of eternal doom as the Heat lurched through the opening month were always a ridiculous overreaction, too. It's different with the Jazz because their margin of error was never great. Utah was the easiest of the Lakers' four opponents last playoffs and then lost several key players, though the commendable response held Utah's place as a factor in the West. Now, the urgency is in January.

Thanks for posting.

Nice find.

Read down a bit to the section about the Charlote Bobcats--Theyve won 4 of 5 since Paul Silas took over. Stephen Jackson says they team likes the new simpler offense and using their athletism to play without worrying about getting jerked out. Hmm.......

Nice find.

Read down a bit to the section about the Charlote Bobcats--Theyve won 4 of 5 since Paul Silas took over. Stephen Jackson says they team likes the new simpler offense and using their athletism to play without worrying about getting jerked out. Hmm.......

It makes sense that the Jazz would change their system to something more enjoyable to Stephen Jackson.

https://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/01/28/and-one-jazz-woes/

t37.jpg

I like the part where Jerry rides off in the sunset on his John Deere!!!!!!

post = corrected.

Shake up shmake up. The Jazz will start playing better soon, and win a few games in a row. Everyone will forget the last couple of weeks, and we will end up with a 5th/6th spot in the playoffs. The Jazz will then lose in the first round, and KOC will make a statement about how we're a young team that will only improve with time. He will talk about how the organization will work hard in the summer to improve the team. The Jazz will then sign AK for 25m 3 year deal, and probably make a minor move involving a scrub nobody has heard of. Sloan will be extended, and he will talk about how you need to hustle to win.

Shake up shmake up. The Jazz will start playing better soon, and win a few games in a row. Everyone will forget the last couple of weeks, and we will end up with a 5th/6th spot in the playoffs. The Jazz will then lose in the first round, and KOC will make a statement about how we're a young team that will only improve with time. He will talk about how the organization will work hard in the summer to improve the team. The Jazz will then sign AK for 25m 3 year deal, and probably make a minor move involving a scrub nobody has heard of. Sloan will be extended, and he will talk about how you need to hustle to win.

This post is full of win.

I think the Jazz have a prime opportunity to win 8 in a row starting tonight! We will again shoot up the rankings soon enough and all the fair weather Jazz fans will be back on the wagon in no time.

I think the Jazz have a prime opportunity to win 8 in a row starting tonight! We will again shoot up the rankings soon enough and all the fair weather Jazz fans will be back on the wagon in no time.

The OKC and denver games will be very tough; if we win 4 in a row starting tonight though, we could haul in a nice run collection of wins before the allstar break. Im really hoping that weve hit rock bottom here already, this is SUCH an important game. Jazz need to win this for a top 4 seed imo.

Sad but true. You got your bullcrap detector on.

The OKC and denver games will be very tough; if we win 4 in a row starting tonight though, we could haul in a nice run collection of wins before the allstar break. Im really hoping that weve hit rock bottom here already, this is SUCH an important game. Jazz need to win this for a top 4 seed imo.

I agree with you pretty much. My thinking going into that statement was that hopefully by the time we hit the OKC/DEN games that we will be on a roll again and with confidence running high for two pivotol games against division rivals. Hopefully we've been humbled enough by this bad stretch and now that we've taken positive steps to right the ship it will be a different Utah team that comes to play from now on.

I'd bet all of my money that the Jazz FO knows they need to pull off a major acquisition either this season or in the offseason in order to keep Deron. Who's it going to be? What assets will we use in order to acquire him?

I'd bet all of my money that the Jazz FO knows they need to pull off a major acquisition either this season or in the offseason in order to keep Deron. Who's it going to be? What assets will we use in order to acquire him?

I am actually not certain if keeping Deron is a priority. I mean I know they say stuff like that but they leave off important things. Like this.

"Our top priority is to re-sign Deron to a long-term contract.......as long as it is cheap enough, otherwise we have no problem letting him walk for nothing, if that would save us some money."

I couldn't have said it better myserrf.