What's new

RSL... big game this weekend

leftyjace

Anybody going to the game against the Timbers tomorrow night? Big match...

BTW, this was a SICK goal last week...

[video]https://p.mlssoccer.com/xJm9I/video/1869802/1869802_2013-08-26-141002.640hq.mp4

tumblr_l3x8bmkHJG1qanb21o1_500.jpg

I'm going. Should be a good game. I predict 2-1 for REAL. Rimando will come up huge and Sabo will score both goals. I know. I'm a savant.

Anybody going to the game against the Timbers tomorrow night? Big match...

BTW, this was a SICK goal last week...

[video]https://p.mlssoccer.com/xJm9I/video/1869802/1869802_2013-08-26-141002.640hq.mp4

That's a good goal, but that was a horrible defense by the yellow guys.

Supporter's Shield is more of a moral victory, and even with a win, it's unlikely that we'll beat out Montreal. We'll get a CCL berth anyways, and facing a low-seeded team doesn't really help much come playoffs. We already beat Portland in the Open Cup and stole a point with three goals on the road. Win or lose, we're already in a good position looking forward, especially considering this was supposed to be a "rebuilding" year anyways.

Supporter's Shield is more of a moral victory, and even with a win, it's unlikely that we'll beat out Montreal. We'll get a CCL berth anyways, and facing a low-seeded team doesn't really help much come playoffs. We already beat Portland in the Open Cup and stole a point with three goals on the road. Win or lose, we're already in a good position looking forward, especially considering this was supposed to be a "rebuilding" year anyways.

Now, hold on. Montreal's next few matches aren't exactly a walk in the park. They've got Philly - in Philly - and then they have New England - in New England. Then they're at home against the Crew, but go on the road and play in San Jose. That's their next 4 matches... They've played 4 matches less than RSL, but in order to stay on pace with RSL they have to average 1.75 pts. per match... which is slightly above their season pace (Montreal and RSL are both tied at 1.71 pts. per match). So they need 7 points over their next 4 matches (3 of which are on the road) to keep pace.

Not only that, but RSL definitely has the easier schedule over the remainder of the season.

I think RSL will win the Supporters' Shield.

Now, hold on. Montreal's next few matches aren't exactly a walk in the park. They've got Philly - in Philly - and then they have New England - in New England. Then they're at home against the Crew, but go on the road and play in San Jose. That's their next 4 matches... They've played 4 matches less than RSL, but in order to stay on pace with RSL they have to average 1.75 pts. per match... which is slightly above their season pace (Montreal and RSL are both tied at 1.71 pts. per match). So they need 7 points over their next 4 matches (3 of which are on the road) to keep pace.

Not only that, but RSL definitely has the easier schedule over the remainder of the season.

I think RSL will win the Supporters' Shield.

They just drew with Philly, got their one point. Regardless of what happens with the Revs, the have the Crew at home (an easy 3) and SJ who is horrendous this year (another 3). RSL has had a great stretch and we should have some chances to rest and recover down the stretch. But I wouldn't be surprised if Montreal or even the Galaxy passed us in the standings. I think the Galaxy are the favorite to win the Cup too. Unfortunate really...

They just drew with Philly, got their one point. Regardless of what happens with the Revs, the have the Crew at home (an easy 3) and SJ who is horrendous this year (another 3). RSL has had a great stretch and we should have some chances to rest and recover down the stretch. But I wouldn't be surprised if Montreal or even the Galaxy passed us in the standings. I think the Galaxy are the favorite to win the Cup too. Unfortunate really...

I do see your perspective.

Call me a homer, but respectfully I disagree. I went and looked at the teams each of those 3 have left to play, and RSL has the lightest schedule by far. Couple that with the only non-league match between now and the playoffs being the CC Final, and I believe we'll be somewhat rested and ready to go come playoff time - with the Supporters' Shield already claimed.

I think we're sitting pretty.

Another thing to keep in mind is that LA and Montreal play each other once before the end of the season... regardless, that will help knock one of those two down, or possibly both of them if they draw.

And yet ANOTHER thing is the final match of the season for all clubs....
RSL is at home on Wednesday against Chivas USA (should be an win)
Montreal is on the road on Friday at Toronto FC (always tough up there)
LA is on the road on Saturday at Sounders (ouch)

Yes... liking our outlook more and more and more.