What's new

Rule change needed: timeouts under duress

zman1527

It is pretty amazing that b-ball allows time outs to bail out a player under duress. Guys who get trapped can call a TO and bail out of the situation. Or guys who cannot inbound in the 5 seconds. What bs, they need to change that to you only call a TO when you have clear control and no problems. Its like a defensive back in football calling a TO when a wideout gets behind him, or running back when he loses control of the football or a qb about to get sacked. Just stop the play and start over?

Timeouts aren't the problem. The timeout rule right now is fine.

what needs to change is the annoying charge calls. A guy makes a great crossover dribble, drives hard into the lane, has clearly beaten the defense, jumps into the air for a spectacular play, and then... Disaster! Someone arrives late on his rotation. Rather than attempting to block the shot, the defender resorts to his last option. He slides under the offensive player after he has already jumped and shooting. The defender falls flat, flailing his arms, and screaming... And the ref then rewards this bad defense with a charge call.

I can't stand the charge calls! it needs to be fixed on all levels of basketball.

Either you get there in time to stop the offensive player or you block his shot.

That's it.

No more of this arriving too late but sliding yourself under the offensive player and drawing just enough contact to act like the offensive player "charged into you" nonsense. Stop rewarding unathletic players like Shane Battier for playing bad defense and arriving late on their rotations.

Either you get there clearly in time and the offensive player tried to go through you or you block his shot.

Timeouts aren't the problem. What needs to change is the annoying charge calls. A guy makes a great crossover dribble, drives hard into the lane, has clearly beaten the defense, jumps into the air for a spectacular play, and then... Disaster! And the ref then rewards this bad defense with a charge call.

I can't stand the charge calls! it needs to be fixed on all levels of basketball.

Stop rewarding unathletic players like Shane Battier for playing bad defense and arriving late on their rotations.

Frankly, I see it quite differently! That "crossover" dribble is, in fact, PALMING the ball! Even when a skilled defender with speed and quickness is trying to stay in front of his man by giving him 4, 5 even up to 8 feet leeway......he get's dunked on because the offensive player basically PICKS UP HIS DRIBBLE, speeds by him, dribbles again and posterizes him! It's almost as unwatchable as the posting up of a big man or stronger man like Lebron, backing him down by palming the ball and shuffling his feet, and then laying it in or dunking on the poor soul! If there should be any rule change they could just simply enforce the palming violation every time it occurs! I guarantee assists would double in most games!

Timeouts aren't the problem. The timeout rule right now is fine.

what needs to change is the annoying charge calls. A guy makes a great crossover dribble, drives hard into the lane, has clearly beaten the defense, jumps into the air for a spectacular play, and then... Disaster! Someone arrives late on his rotation. Rather than attempting to block the shot, the defender resorts to his last option. He slides under the offensive player after he has already jumped and shooting. The defender falls flat, flailing his arms, and screaming... And the ref then rewards this bad defense with a charge call.

Either you get there in time to stop the offensive player or you block his shot.

That's it.

No more of this arriving too late but sliding yourself under the offensive player and drawing just enough contact to act like the offensive player "charged into you" nonsense. Stop rewarding unathletic players like Shane Battier for playing bad defense and arriving late on their rotations.

Either you get there clearly in time and the offensive player tried to go through you or you block his shot.

Thriller is right. The refs screw up the offensive foul much too often. I don't think the refs themselves even know what the rules are.

and then they'll call a foul on the defender when he's playing good defense and the guy with the ball intentionally jumps into him.
This is so annoying. Get it right NBA!