What's new

Should we amend the Utah constitution...

Should Utah adopt this amendment

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

♪alt13

Should we amend the Utah State constitution In the following way:

The number of Senators in the Utah State Senate shall not exceed one for every fourty thousand persons, but shall not exceed one hundred Senators.
The number of Representatives in the Utah State House of Representatives shall not exceed one for every twenty thousand persons, but shall not exceed two hundred Representatives.

yes/no

note: There are currently 29 Utah State Senators and 75 members of the Utah State House of Representatives. There is currently 1 senator for every 95,306 persons and 1 representative for every 36,852. If this amendment were adopted the senate would expand to include 70 members and the house of representatives would expand to include 139 members.

This is probably not much important but I wonder how much this possible amendment would cost to Utahns financially. Do you have any info about how much each Senator and Representative earns?

This is probably not much important but I wonder how much this possible amendment would cost to Utahns financially. Do you have any info about how much each Senator and Representative earns?
https://www.utahsright.com/salaries.php?query=&city=all&position=REPRESENTATIVE&order=&oType=&page=1
https://www.utahsright.com/salaries.php?city=all&position=SENATOR
I really think most Utahns don't feel represented by the legislature and the best way to fix that is to increase the # of reps. The money issue if it did prove to be a hurdle could be overcame by simply paying them less. I don't feel it should be a full time job anyway, especially for the House.

1. Really? Why?

2. Some anarchist you are.

I didn't design the system. I prefer more representatives over increasingly elite ones. More voices should loosen the stranglehold of one group running the entire show. You have to admit that every anarchist given only the two choices would prefer greater representation. I highly doubt that an amendment to decommission the Utah State government would make it very far. I am also a realist.

Should we amend the Utah State constitution In the following way:

The number of Senators in the Utah State Senate shall not exceed one for every fourty thousand persons, but shall not exceed one hundred Senators.
The number of Representatives in the Utah State House of Representatives shall not exceed one for every twenty thousand persons, but shall not exceed two hundred Representatives.

yes/no

note: There are currently 29 Utah State Senators and 75 members of the Utah State House of Representatives. There is currently 1 senator for every 95,306 persons and 1 representative for every 36,852. If this amendment were adopted the senate would expand to include 70 members and the house of representatives would expand to include 139 members.

And how would you John Birchers gerrymander the hell out of Utah if we were more represented?

And how would you John Birchers gerrymander the hell out of Utah if we were more represented?

Gerrymandering would be more difficult. Many cities and counties in Utah would be around these numbers and would demand an exclusive representative. It would be much harder to justify. Counties like Tooele and Summit would be represented where as now I believe there is no state Senator that resides in Tooele and there has been some controversy over the years in Summit county as well.