What's new

SI article on Rubio

I've stayed pretty silent on my position regarding Rubio because I'm still not confident he's suddenly become a different player, given the ~4-month sample size vs. his entire life being a terrible shooter/scorer.

That being said, that sample size is the most recent one, and if it holds, Rubio is a very legit piece to keep around. I'm eager to see how this all plays out over the next year, but I'd definitely still wait to extend and think that serious 2019 cap is valuable.

I've stayed pretty silent on my position regarding Rubio because I'm still not confident he's suddenly become a different player, given the ~4-month sample size vs. his entire life being a terrible shooter/scorer.

That being said, that sample size is the most recent one, and if it holds, Rubio is a very legit piece to keep around. I'm eager to see how this all plays out over the next year, but I'd definitely still wait to extend and think that serious 2019 cap is valuable.

I feel the same way

Very true, but a lot of teams are going to have cap space next summer. If Rubio continues his recent career trajectory, he'll be in line for a very big payday.

Salary cap is projected to reach $120m for '19-20. UTA can extend Rubio comfortably.

Excellent analysis by Lowe. All of our guys are under spotlight these days. It's too much hype. UTA is regarded a top-5 team in the league, even contender. We'll see if they'll live up to it.

Perhaps deserves its own thread but another good bit on Rubio:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24736975

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

this is an excellent read... if you consider the history of coaches that Ricky has had it makes sense to believe he may have turned a corner. Quin and Ricky have a connection and Ricky has a connection with the team.

Like @NUMBERICA I'm skeptical because of math... but if our development group can take a smart but flawed guy like Joe Ingles and turn him into a god in his late 20s they can work with Rubio too.

I believe he is a decent set shooter and improved his finishing. I need more defensive consistency (there are nights where he is great and nights he gambles and gets blown by) and just less bad turnovers. I'm cautiously optimistic and there is not a better guy to root for... so why the hell not.

I want the historians of JFC to remember that @JustTheTip and me were by far the earliest supporters of acquiring Ricky Rubio.

The corner is rounded. He'll obviously have some mid-season slumps, but the progress is true.

The only mistake we've made with Rubio was not acquiring him sooner.

I want the historians of JFC to remember that @JustTheTip and me were by far the earliest supporters of acquiring Ricky Rubio.

The corner is rounded. He'll obviously have some mid-season slumps, but the progress is true.

The only mistake we've made with Rubio was not acquiring him sooner.

If Rubio can do 42/35 consistently, then we’re set. I think he can do better, but we shall see.

I was disappointed by his early season defense last year. Hoping that improves this year.

If Rubio can do 42/35 consistently, then we’re set. I think he can do better, but we shall see.

I was disappointed by his early season defense last year. Hoping that improves this year.

I think he can improve his shooting this is the first real offseason working with us... he's a smart dude and is learning how he can work within our offense. Last year he was playing with Spain... I think he's been here most of the summer.

I love Rubio’s game. He’s smart and he is a better defender than folks give him credit for. There’s a reason he kept getting cheap shots... he was getting under people skin all year.

He was in a horrible system. Has a smart coach now.

Rubio is here to stay! Planning on getting a jersey of his this season as well :)

I just came back from Spain, a lot of expectations there for my fellow countryman in the Spanish sports networks.
Are there a lot of Jazz fans in Spain because of Rubio? Or what NBA teams tend to have the most fans there?

Are there a lot of Jazz fans in Spain because of Rubio? Or what NBA teams tend to have the most fans there?

Yep, teams that feature Spanish players tend to have more coverage and more televised games. The Utah Jazz has become the top in coverage, but not only because of Rubio. A repeated comment there is that it’s a very fun team to watch play.

Rubio is here to stay! Planning on getting a jersey of his this season as well :)

I just came back from Spain, a lot of expectations there for my fellow countryman in the Spanish sports networks.

Yamers should offer to buy you that jersey.

I figure this can go in here. Zach Lowe has Rubio as one of the "six most intriguing NBA players this season."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...oston-celtics-lineups-most-intriguing-players

Also, I hope I don't get an infraction for posting this. Ricky went back into that Detroit game with this gash and we won 11 straight.

i