What's new

So Reggie Bush is forfeiting his Heisman

Chad Feldheimer

I guess he could always just ask OJ to help him get it back if he ever changed his mind. OJ knows how to track down old trophies.

I see the best way to solve this sort of thing in sports is to throw the "agent" or coaches in jail. I mean, I actually feel bad for USC kids suffering from decisions a player made years ago. How is this right?

About the Heisman. He may not have it, but we all know he earned it on the field that year. It's something that is hard to take away because of money. So unless he used sport enhancing drugs or something, he still earned the trophy on the filed. Oh I beeping hate USC too.

I think he knew it was going away. Either he gave it up, or they were taking it back.

I don't think that was a certainty. I think the only way he could have saved any face at all was to forfeit it like he did. If he said no I am keeping and and then the Heisman people asked for it back he would have looked even worse. Or even just keeping it would have been just "tainted"

This doesn't change the fact that he was still the best college player I have ever seen.

Reggie couldn't hold a candle to Barry Sanders. If you needed the ball put in the endzone, then there was no greater player than Barry David Sanders.

We need to stop pretending. All the big schools are doing this but Reggie Bush got caught. For instance, in and around 2000 my cousin actually went to USC and his roommate was one of the top if not the top defensive players in the country being recruited the season prior(football). He was given money and a car according to my cousin. I don't want to go into names on this because I don't want to get into the whole thing. Anyway, I am sure this is a very present thing at all big schools.

I'm not sure I like the precedent that this is setting...what now? go back and recind the Buckeyes '02 title since Mo Clarrett left football to become a felon? I mean I know Bush gave it back because he's trying to maintain face, but you know the Heismen trust was going to take it back anyway. And while we're at it what do you do with the Heisman from that year now? Give it to Vince Young with an asterisk? Leave that year empty in the history books? Bottom line is Bush earned that award on the field. He took money off the field (and I'm sure LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, Miami, etc never give their players money right?). Just my opinion but Bush should be allowed to keep the Heisman.

Whether he should be allowed to keep it is a moot issue. He voluntarily gave it back. I personally think they were going to take it back anyway, but I guess they didn't have to reach that decision.
I think the Heisman Trust has decided not to give it to Young. They say there is no way of knowing where the votes he got would have gone. I agree with this thought. More than likely, Young would have won it, but you never really know. My guess is that the record book will show Bush as the winner, who voluntarily returned it due to what has happened.