What's new

Sous Vide

Scat

Has anyone cooked using this method? My kids gave me a sous vide cooker for my birthday. I have used it three times now and it is amazing. I've made steak a couple of times and salmon once. Hands down some of the best meat I have ever eaten. Moist and tender. I'll never cook a steak any other way again. Looking forward to doing some chicken and ribs.

I have been using sous vide for several years now. IMHO the very best implementation is for really thick pork tenderloin chops.

I also use it for eggs. Just drop them right in at 153 for 45 min in their shell. Wonderfully gooey.

Has anyone cooked using this method? My kids gave me a sous vide cooker for my birthday. I have used it three times now and it is amazing. I've made steak a couple of times and salmon once. Hands down some of the best meat I have ever eaten. Moist and tender. I'll never cook a steak any other way again. Looking forward to doing some chicken and ribs.

Yeah, just makes cooking things correctly much much easier. Just takes longer.

I think we had a thread on this once before. I've been doing this for several years now as well. Round roast at 136 for 36 hours makes it taste like tenderloin.

For cheap steaks, sous vide is great as it breaks down tough meat and makes it more tender. Also works well on chicken.

For a good choice or prime ribeye, porterhouse (NY/fillet) use the reverse sear method after salting the meat uncovered in a clean fridge for at least 24 hours (get a meat thermometer if you don't have one). Thank me later.

For cheap steaks, sous vide is great as it breaks down tough meat and makes it more tender. Also works well on chicken.

For a good choice or prime ribeye, porterhouse (NY/fillet) use the reverse sear method after salting the meat uncovered in a clean fridge for at least 24 hours (get a meat thermometer if you don't have one). Thank me later.
I've been using the reverse sear method for quite a while and the sous vide method is much more consistent and produces a better quality end product.

I've been using the reverse sear method for quite a while and the sous vide method is much more consistent and produces a better quality end product.
I like to use a sous vide reverse sear method where I take the cold steak and give it a really good sear, then put it in the sous vide, then give it a very quick re-sear before serving.

I've had a different experience. I don't mind the sous vide, but find I get as better product using my oven with high quality cuts. My oven thankfully heats very consistent and even. I have a sear burner on my grill that finishes perfectly. I tend to only buy prime meat, usually porterhouse. I tend to like them better in the oven and seared compared to sous vide. But give me a cheap cut, and the sous vide is my go to all day long!

I've had a different experience. I don't mind the sous vide, but find I get as better product using my oven with high quality cuts. My oven thankfully heats very consistent and even. I have a sear burner on my grill that finishes perfectly. I tend to only buy prime meat, usually porterhouse. I tend to like them better in the oven and seared compared to sous vide. But give me a cheap cut, and the sous vide is my go to all day long!
For beef steaks I think sous vide is one good way, but not the only way. Lot's of awesome ways to prepare steaks and get great results. Sous vide has the benefit of being mostly foolproof.

As mentioned, for really thick pork chops there's really no replacement for sous vide, especially for those concerned about rare pork.

Also an excellent option for chicken as it can get fully cooked without drying out.

Seafood is another one where some people really swear by sous vide, but my experiences are mixed.

I need to start doing this as I hate cooking chicken. Then again, it requires planning in advance which I hate even more.
Best way to cook chicken is pound it flat, like 1/2 inch thick, or slice it into 1/2 inch thick slabs, season it with whatever you have, 45 seconds on each side in a blazing hot skillet with a little high temp oil or on your grill the hottest you can make it. Fast easy done and done and it tastes great.

But I don't recommend sous vide for chicken. Tends to get a weird texture almost no matter how I cook it.