What's new

Speculation on the effect of the NHL team on Jazz scheduling

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
So there's been discussion over time of the effect of not playing Sunday home games and how that has impacted our schedule, particularly with travel and the number of back to backs. Before the construction of the E Center (Maverik Center) way back in the 90s, the Grizzlies and the Golden Eagles would play in the Delta Center. I'd imagine the schedules of each of those teams were quite secondary and had to be fit in after the NBA schedule was decided. I also don't know how many games those leagues played but I'd guess it is way less than the NHL. Like the NBA, the NHL has an 82 game season, so now there are 41 additional nights and I'd imagine the NHL schedule is going to occupy more than just a secondary consideration.

Also, I don't remember how it affected seating previously but with the ice being under the court (aside from the time the water was leaking), did that impact the seating? Having to lift the floor would make it hard to accommodate the seating, particularly on that first row. I imagine with the folding chairs, they could just take a couple inches from each platform out before to average that loss before they hit the bleachers. Not sure if any of that makes sense.

The Jazz started playing more Sunday games this past season. They already started planning for it.

I guess the best place to start would be to see what other NHL/NBA cities have shared an arena.
Staples Center (not calling it the new name)
MSG
TD Garden
Wells Fargo Center
Capital One Arena
Barclays Center
Scotiabank Arena

I'd expect more afternoon games by one of the teams or the other. One team plays an afternoon game, and then there are about 4 hours to convert the arena for the other sport for an evening game.

This happened at the Salt Palace when the Jazz and Golden Eagles shared the arena. The basketball floor was assembled on top of the ice.