What's new

Steve Kerr Resigns in Phoenix

David Stern

https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5289933

Steve Kerr is out as the Phoenix Suns' president of basketball operations and general manager, according to a report in the Arizona Republic.

Suns managing partner Robert Sarver told the newspaper an opportunity to return to television as a NBA commentator prompted Kerr, who's contract expires on June 30, to leave the organization after three years as its GM.

"I wouldn't say it's a big surprise," Sarver told the newspaper. "Television is what he did before he came on board. It's a change of plans from during the season. It boiled down to a number of things, including lifestyle and the opportunity. I was hoping to have him back."

Sarver told the newspaper the differences in financial negotiations played a "small part," if any at all.

The move surprisingly comes after the Suns went 52-28 this season and reached the Western Conference finals.

A source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher the move has to do with Kerr feeling unable to adequately do the job with the financial limitations imposed by Sarver. The Suns have both Amare Stoudemire and Channing Frye as potential free agents this summer.

Kerr, 44, became part of the Suns' leadership in 2004 and became a minority owner and adviser for Sarver, who eventually named him GM after Bryan Colangelo and coach Mike D'Antoni first held the job under Sarver.

Sarver told the newspaper the Suns will conduct a search for Kerr's replacement and consider in-house candidates. Kerr will stay on board for the June 24 draft and keep his ownership stake in the team.

"It's definitely been an interesting three years for both of us and the organization," Sarver told the newspaper. "Overall, I think he did a very good job to put us on solid ground with players and coaches, getting a defensive emphasis and got the ground laid on teamwork and chemistry. We're in a pretty good spot moving forward and a lot of it has to do with moves he's made. There were some good moves and bad moves, which goes with the job. But overall, I think he's done a very good job."

They need him back on TNT. Anything to lessen the sight of Reggie Miller and Dick Stockton is a huge plus. What a couple of buffoons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one LOVE REGGIE MILLER! Loved him as a player and even more as a commentator, I find him amusing and funny plus you got to listen to what he says because he was one of the all time clutchest performers in the game

Is it wise for the Suns to let him go? I can't believe what they accomplished this year and they're heading in the right direction.
I think Locke said they asked him to take a 10% pay cut and he told them to shove it up their asses.

Interesting that two guys who have done an outstanding job, IMO, are (or will be) ousted this season: Kerr and Pritchard.

Pritchard has been rumored to be on his way out right after the draft. KOC must be thanking his lucky stars he's in Salt Lake. Imagine how many times other teams would have fired him by now for the Jazz' continued, well, for lack of a better term, "middle-of-the-roadity."

Of course, the same forces that have driven Kerr back to broadcasting - "feeling unable to adequately do the job with the financial limitations imposed by (the owner)" - are what has prevented KOC from improving the team. Pretty hard to do anything when the owner says, "cut $10M in salaries by the trade deadline."

Is it wise for the Suns to let him go? I can't believe what they accomplished this year and they're heading in the right direction.

...headed in the right direction? Are you blind or something?!!! They are going to lose Stodemire....Nash is a year older, Hill is a year older, they have no cap space, they have no draft choices (high ones anyway) so the "hand writing is on the wall!" Kerr just jumped off a sinking ship...before it sinks!