What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

Gameface

Stand With Ukraine
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
So when did the center lane, aka the suicide lane, become the stop and make a ****ing phone call lane? I've seen it three times in the last week where a person is just stopped in the center lane clearly just there to have a phone call. One of them was a motorcycle.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
So when did the center lane, aka the suicide lane, become the stop and make a ****ing phone call lane? I've seen it three times in the last week where a person is just stopped in the center lane clearly just there to have a phone call. One of them was a motorcycle.
I hate that too. But I have to say it's better than the clueless gits just driving and talking, oblivious to everything else around them.

bigb

Free at last!!!
Contributor
It would have never occurred to me to do that.

At this point, I’m not sure I’ll be able to continue driving. I’ll drive myself mad yelling at these stupid idiots.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
It would have never occurred to me to do that.

At this point, I’m not sure I’ll be able to continue driving. I’ll drive myself mad yelling at these stupid idiots.
Yep. All of'em. It's my contention that there are very few actual traffic accidents. I would wager that 90% of "accidents" are the results of idiots being idiots in traffic and are therefore fully avoidable.

I'm in Utah right now, at my parents place. Headed to Washington as my wife's mother passed away so going to the funeral. As I was leaving California I ran into a 15-mile long stoppage just before Baker. When we finally got to what stopped traffic and added a full 2 hours to my trip, they were slowly funneling us around some wreckage one car at a time, and in so doing we were passing by a couple of CHP officers helping direct traffic. Obviously there had been an accident. There were several wreckers there cleaning the mess. As we say by the cops I had my window down and heard the guy in front of me ask what happened. The cop told him that some guy got impatient that he couldn't get around a bunch of cars stuck behind a diesel that was passing another diesel, and he tried to swerve around 2 of them on the shoulder and back into traffic. He was driving a jacked pickup truck and lost control. Everyone was of course following at several inches from each other instead of giving any space, so the truck was like a bowling ball into a set of pins. Even though it was a diesel passing another he said they were still all going nearly 70 mph, all crowding, everyone needed to be first. So it sent them every which way. Luckily no serious injuries and the car fire started after they had been extricated from the cars.

But see, it was fully preventable, cause by an idiot being a bigger idiot than all the idiots clustered together because they wouldn't slow down just enough to be safe while one truck passed another.

Sometimes it's shocking our species has survived this long

Gameface

Stand With Ukraine
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Yep. All of'em. It's my contention that there are very few actual traffic accidents. I would wager that 90% of "accidents" are the results of idiots being idiots in traffic and are therefore fully avoidable.

I'm in Utah right now, at my parents place. Headed to Washington as my wife's mother passed away so going to the funeral. As I was leaving California I ran into a 15-mile long stoppage just before Baker. When we finally got to what stopped traffic and added a full 2 hours to my trip, they were slowly funneling us around some wreckage one car at a time, and in so doing we were passing by a couple of CHP officers helping direct traffic. Obviously there had been an accident. There were several wreckers there cleaning the mess. As we say by the cops I had my window down and heard the guy in front of me ask what happened. The cop told him that some guy got impatient that he couldn't get around a bunch of cars stuck behind a diesel that was passing another diesel, and he tried to swerve around 2 of them on the shoulder and back into traffic. He was driving a jacked pickup truck and lost control. Everyone was of course following at several inches from each other instead of giving any space, so the truck was like a bowling ball into a set of pins. Even though it was a diesel passing another he said they were still all going nearly 70 mph, all crowding, everyone needed to be first. So it sent them every which way. Luckily no serious injuries and the car fire started after they had been extricated from the cars.

But see, it was fully preventable, cause by an idiot being a bigger idiot than all the idiots clustered together because they wouldn't slow down just enough to be safe while one truck passed another.

Sometimes it's shocking our species has survived this long
There are a few YT channels that show "idiots in cars" and when I'm board I'll watch a few. There is definitely a handful of common scenarios that lead to most of the accidents and none of them involve people having "accidents" per se. It's all either negligence or willful disregard for safety. So often what they show is one driver doing something stupid and another driver having all the opportunity in the world to avoid it but stubbornly charging headlong into an accident because they're "right" so they aren't going to slow down, back off, move over, or any number of things that could prevent an "accident."

My one PRO TIP I've gained from watching all that crap is that if you're turning, typically a left turn, in congested traffic and you need to cross 2-3 lanes and people stop for you in the lanes closest to you, proceed with a mountain of caution. Hundreds of videos of people taking the "courtesy" and jamming through only to get t-boned by a car in the right hand lane that has not come to a stop.

Gameface

Stand With Ukraine
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
FedEx

A few times recently I have ordered something online from somewhere other than Amazon. The seller uses FedEx for shipping. Shipping estimate says like 9 days. A few days after the order FedEx is like "Yo, we're actually gonna get that **** to you in 7 days! Dope, right?" and I'm like that's nice. Then the day it is now scheduled to be delivered arrives the status still says scheduled to be delivered today but the package is listed as being in Wamsutter, WY and it's 3pm. Package doesn't get delivered, but that's okay sort of because this was "early" based on the original delivery estimate. Next day I check the status and it still shows scheduled to be delivered yesterday but the package is now in North Salt Lake so I figure they might get it out today or tomorrow and still meet the original estimate.

Nope

Next day, which is the originally estimated day status has changed to Delayed Updated Delivery Pending.

Next day, original estimated delivery +1, still delayed pending blah blah blah

Next day, +2, delayed pending.

This has now happened 3-4 times in the last few months with FedEx. This doesn't happen with UPS. They tell you the day it's going to be delivered and they deliver it that day. Amazon's "TBA" deliveries have their issues, but they usually get it to you on the day they promise, even if they decide to give it to your neighbor for the 10th time.

Why does FedEx suck so bad? I used to think of them as the premium delivery service.

Gameface

Stand With Ukraine
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I've read the FedEx distribution center in Salt Lake is notoriously bad. We're talking, like, Nero levels of incompetence.
My experience has been that once there has been an exception it's a complete crap shoot what's gonna happen next. A few times it is still listed as delayed pending but shows up on my porch and status goes to delivered. Other times they've taken 2-3 shots at predicting a new day only to not make it.

I can believe that the Salt Lake distribution center is a circus.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
FedEx

A few times recently I have ordered something online from somewhere other than Amazon. The seller uses FedEx for shipping. Shipping estimate says like 9 days. A few days after the order FedEx is like "Yo, we're actually gonna get that **** to you in 7 days! Dope, right?" and I'm like that's nice. Then the day it is now scheduled to be delivered arrives the status still says scheduled to be delivered today but the package is listed as being in Wamsutter, WY and it's 3pm. Package doesn't get delivered, but that's okay sort of because this was "early" based on the original delivery estimate. Next day I check the status and it still shows scheduled to be delivered yesterday but the package is now in North Salt Lake so I figure they might get it out today or tomorrow and still meet the original estimate.

Nope

Next day, which is the originally estimated day status has changed to Delayed Updated Delivery Pending.

Next day, original estimated delivery +1, still delayed pending blah blah blah

Next day, +2, delayed pending.

This has now happened 3-4 times in the last few months with FedEx. This doesn't happen with UPS. They tell you the day it's going to be delivered and they deliver it that day. Amazon's "TBA" deliveries have their issues, but they usually get it to you on the day they promise, even if they decide to give it to your neighbor for the 10th time.

Why does FedEx suck so bad? I used to think of them as the premium delivery service.
Fedex also is notorious for damaging packages. Especially large and heavy packages. Much worse that UPS

Rubashov

2019 Award Winner
Fedex also is notorious for damaging packages. Especially large and heavy packages. Much worse that UPS

DHL are awesome, same week delivery from Germany on a regular basis, also their surface shipping is incredibly cheap, looked at importing rare BMW rims from Germany less than 200 bucks per set.