What's new

Summer League Game 1 [7PM Mountain Time]

Here are my thoughts on the two Jazz games. In game one in a stinker a couple of guys showed decently. Justin Patton had a double double and Joe Chealey had some decent moments. In game two it was the Dok and Trent Forrest show. Hughes looked like hot garbage and Brantley tried too hard. Juwan Morgan and Paul White had some efficient moments. Generally most of the guys looked good.

Didn't watch the game but it sounds like you guys need to chill on Elijah since it's just a summer league game. Probably needs to get the nervousness out or something. I mean, if he hits Vegas and still playing the same then I'd be worried.

Btw what's up with team blue? Most of the talent is in team white. lol

Last edited:
Didn't watch the game but it sounds like you guys need to chill on Elijah since it's just a summer league game. Probably needs to get the nervousness out or something. I mean, if he hits Vegas and still playing the same then I'd be worried.

Btw what's up with team blue? Most of the talent is in team white. lol
A dude of his supposed talent should look better than he has, even with the weird G-League season and the ankle or whatever. Is he the first dude with an ankle injury? He the only dude sent down to the G-League? The fact of the matter he has been *** save for some moments in pre-season. He has to get his **** together because the talent pool is overflowing with random tall dudes that can ball out in a gym.

Forrest looks for sure NBA player.

Same with Udoka. He seems a bit out of shape though. Him and Forrest have great chemistry.

Hughes looked rough. I think his D was good though (at least what I remember focusing on). Hopefully his bad offensive game was just nerves.

I think Brantley had good D as well. I just hate him trying to do too much in the Summer League role.

Mooney actually looked really good. Had some quick moves and was super smooth with the ball.

Jazz got a good SL team though. A lot of them seem like they could play.
Pretty much this... less impressed with Mooney but I wasn't sure iirc... Mathias had some turnover that my brain maybe assigned to Mooney.

Udoka was a monster on the glass... especially in the first half... seemed to slow down a bit. He's a much better prospect than Bradley so it isn't a perfect replication of the mistakes of the past. Whiteside misses time occasionally so hopefully he can get on the floor.

Brantley is a good defender and hit one wide open three... but my god... do less... there was just so much Brantley happening out there. Its a tough environment to evaluate because you only want him doing like 15% of what he was trying to do. I'm not completely out because its summer league but I'm definitely indifferent at this point. I'm also indifferent on Hughes too. I get he has the right physical profile but I don't see this amazing scorer. Wings are so important that he's worth a flier but I'd also be fine churning that spot for something different.

A dude of his supposed talent should look better than he has, even with the weird G-League season and the ankle or whatever. Is he the first dude with an ankle injury? He the only dude sent down to the G-League? The fact of the matter he has been *** save for some moments in pre-season. He has to get his **** together because the talent pool is overflowing with random tall dudes that can ball out in a gym.
hughes looked fine shots just weren't dropping. the key is he was getting good looks. now, if the shots continue to not fall throughout summer league, that will be a problem. but on one game sample - guys have off nights. no big deal. looked excellent defensively and like i say took good shots and made some plays for teammates.

hughes looked fine shots just weren't dropping. the key is he was getting good looks. now, if the shots continue to not fall throughout summer league, that will be a problem. but on one game sample - guys have off nights. no big deal. looked excellent defensively and like i say took good shots and made some plays for teammates.
Again, the problem is that last night was less an “off night” than a regular one for him. Hughes has been disappointing, even for a 2nd rounder. He should easily look a cut above most of the scrubs he’s sharing the floor with.

I’m one more regular Hughes performance away from calling for him to be cut. There are other players worth a look at. He has to show out in a context like this, especially since his skillset and role in college was to put the ball in the damn bucket. He should be Mo Almond out there and he’s just bleh.

Pretty much this... less impressed with Mooney but I wasn't sure iirc... Mathias had some turnover that my brain maybe assigned to Mooney.

Udoka was a monster on the glass... especially in the first half... seemed to slow down a bit. He's a much better prospect than Bradley so it isn't a perfect replication of the mistakes of the past. Whiteside misses time occasionally so hopefully he can get on the floor.

Brantley is a good defender and hit one wide open three... but my god... do less... there was just so much Brantley happening out there. Its a tough environment to evaluate because you only want him doing like 15% of what he was trying to do. I'm not completely out because its summer league but I'm definitely indifferent at this point. I'm also indifferent on Hughes too. I get he has the right physical profile but I don't see this amazing scorer. Wings are so important that he's worth a flier but I'd also be fine churning that spot for something different.
IDK how well Mooney played overall. I'm not really focused on them so I only notice when they do on- ball stuff well, and Mooney had a couple of slick moves were he showed off surprising change of pace burst.

A guy on the lousy team shot 2-13 last night and he's averaged something like 27 ppg the last seven years overseas so it happens.

I can see the Elijah Hughes talent. He can handle it well for his size. I think he just has to settle down and be comfortable/confident.

I can see the Elijah Hughes talent. He can handle it well for his size. I think he just has to settle down and be comfortable/confident.
Haven't seen any of the games, but I really do feel that whenever you feel like a player's problem is confidence, there will always be a chance that a good coach and overall good personnel management can work that out fine.

Have to agree on his defense. I thought I saw at least 3 strong plays in a row from him at one point, which is progression.

We'll see on his shot. I almost didn't recognize his shot form when he was shooting. Maybe it was his new hair and (I think) more toned body. Hope he can pick that up.

Macio Teague has some handle and shift for a big guard. He can shoot off the bounce.

DJ Funderburk is a confident shooter for a 6'10" dude. He can handle and push the ball a bit too.

Last edited: