What's new

Summer Olympics 2020 - Is it a good thing to host Olympics?

ema

Contributor
Elections for the 2020 Summer Olympics will be held tomorrow(09.07.13) in Argentina. Candidate cities are Tokyo, Madrid and Istanbul.

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/05/sport/2020-olympics-tokyo-madrid-istanbul-ioc/?hpt=hp_t3

All tree cities have troubles of their own but the odds are in favor of Tokyo being Madrid second. But Istanbul still has a chance too. And that makes me think whether if it's a really good thing to host such a big event for a city.

I live in Istanbul half of the year and I can't imagine the games to go without major problems there. Our city structure and traffic is a nightmare and I fear they would worsen it if we would win the voting.

A short research on Google reveals so many disadvantages and bad sides of the Olympics for the cities that hosted it in the past. Athens being the most prominent example, it almost made the whole country bankrupted. And so many regular people suffer during the preparation periods, even in the most modern cities like London. The interests are huge for the big business players so it makes them greedy and raging over the possible profits. But obviously public or the majority of the regular people don't get much of the cake, in fact they are lucky if they manage to not suffer, especially the local people.

So what is your opinions about hosting Summer Olympics or the games itself? What was the case for the USA cities that hosted Olympics before?

Yes and no.

Yes- it brings knowledge of and world exposure to your city. Investment and what not.

No- it costs a ton of money and hassle for the local populace

A short research on Google reveals so many disadvantages and bad sides of the Olympics for the cities that hosted it in the past. Athens being the most prominent example, it almost made the whole country bankrupted.

Greece was in trouble long before the Olympics. Greece doesn't want to take responsibility for their problems and the Olympics are a scape goat. It is true that for may cities the investment is larger than the financial gains. If a city needs to invest in infrastructure anyway, it is a great way to make those investments knowing that the world will basically help you pay for it. Salt Lake is a much better city than it would have been without the 2002 Olympics.

The only time I have ever been to Jail was on the last night of the Olympics when we had those small riots. I remember all the people piling into the jail with rubber bullet wounds. Funny stuff. I wasn't part of the riots though. I was part of a fight that got out of control.

The only time I have ever been to Jail was on the last night of the Olympics when we had those small riots. I remember all the people piling into the jail with rubber bullet wounds. Funny stuff. I wasn't part of the riots though. I was part of a fight that got out of control.

You are the only person on here that I think I would be nervous to fight. I know you have some scary in you.

You are the only person on here that I think I would be nervous to fight. I know you have some scary in you.

Nah.

That was just my early 20's when I was a knucklehead and out drinking at the bars too much. I don't drink much anymore. Maybe once a year.

I'm an easy going guy.

The worst part of having the Olympics here was all the road construction before. Literally tore up every major road to redo them.
I went to the skeleton event and had a blast. Overall I think it was an awesome thing for Salt Lake. Way more positives than negatives.

The worst part of having the Olympics here was all the road construction before. Literally tore up every major road to redo them.
I went to the skeleton event and had a blast. Overall I think it was an awesome thing for Salt Lake. Way more positives than negatives.

That would be a nightmare for us. Istanbul is already is a big mess and with 20M people and the current ****ty roads I can't imagine how horrible it would be.

Madrid has eliminated at the first round now it's between Tokyo and Istanbul.

Tokyo will take it!

It is TOKYO!

So my concerns are over for at least another 40 years. Congrats to Tokyo.