What's new

Tackling the truly important issues at Hercun schools.....

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
I apologize if this already was posted here somewhere. It is a bit old, but is also something that is running rampant around the country. Schools tackling "major" issues that aren't even issues at all. At my daughters' charter school they allowed almost anything in terms of dress code when my kids started going there, and they attracted lots of kids that wanted to express themselves. That first year they had the highest performance of any school in Nevada. Last year they instituted a dress code to match the other magnet schools in the area, and interestingly their test performance dropped as many of their top students opted for online high school or home-schooling rather than wear uniforms. Seems counter-intuitive to me and I am not sure what the rationale is exactly, especially something this benign.

https://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/utah-teen-kicked-class-because-her-hair-color-192700681.html

In the past few months, schools have banned everything from yoga pants and Ugg boots to birthday candles and peanut butter sandwiches. But one Utah middle school is cracking down on hair color—even if the color in question isn't a garish blue or green but just a dark shade of red.

After being kicked out of class last week for dyeing her brown hair auburn, an honors student at a Utah middle school has been allowed to return to school—but only after she toned down her hair color.

This is Hercun Middle School by the way. Can't have any of those fake soul-less ginger wannabes in a Marman school.

This topic reminds me.....somebody settle one of the two great Las Vegas road trip debates that come up continually. First of course always is, do we go to the Cheese Factory in Beaver or not? That's usually a no - though the squeaky cheese solid....so you make an exception sometimes. After that though, it's always do the people in Southern Utah call that town Hurcun/Hur-uh-kun and only that town itself is accorded the special pronunciation and they actually pronounce the weather event - Hurricane - normally....or would they say Hur-kun Katrina too?

It's more hurr a kun. The weather event is hurricane. I think that distinction helps to prove they're somewhat rednecks because of the isolated pronunciation... which is, of course, false.

No true redneck would even be able to enunciate hurricane.. it just wouldn't work.

I tried to find the old thread on this, mainly to figure out who you're trying to clue us in to.

Another massive school overreaction is when they suspend kids for things like making a "finger gun." I mean I get it, violence is unacceptable, but is making a pretend gun with your fingers really a punishable offense?

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013...uspended-after-playing-with-imaginary-weapon/

imaginary-gun.jpg