Ricky Green // Derek Fisher

Vs.

Wes Mantooth
Rudy Gobert // Enes Kanter
Joe Johnson // Marvin Williams
Matt Harpring // Thabo Sefolosha
Joe Ingles // Ty Corbin
Mike Conley // Randy Foye

Feels like Malone would bully Johnson inside all series to win MVP. Knowing the 1/2/3 could camp out on the three point line, it would be isolation after isolation.

Feels like Malone would bully Johnson inside all series to win MVP. Knowing the 1/2/3 could camp out on the three point line, it would be isolation after isolation.
I assume Gobert would guard Malone. Malone can shoot but inside the 3 so he doesn't pull Gobert too far away from the hoop. Plus Eaton is almost no offensive threat. But Malone is still a huge problem. Green isn't going to feed Malone as well though, plus you can sag off green on the pick and roll since he can't hit the three.

Wes has the better team overall, but Malone might take the game over as the best player by far on the court. This one's close.

Malone requires a double team during this series. He’s too strong for Gobert to physically handle though his length would be bothersome . The double team creates spacing for Korver and Bell, while Green drives and kicks when necessary. Eaton is obviously a defensive anchor, but he’s capable of using a baby hook and dunking especially when rotations leave a Joe Johnson or Harpring on him.
Green would pester Conley having led the league in steals while capably feeding Malone having averaged over 7-9 assists per game during his prime.

On defense Rudy would struggle against Eaton, Malone would be too much for iso Joe because of his strength and quick hands even if Johnson did attempt to take Malone outside, he was past his prime with us and didn’t have the same quickness/ moves he’d had as a younger player.
Finally the bench unit with Diaw Drew and Dantley is very potent. Dantley averaged 30 and Drew averaged 20 on the same team, that along with Fisher hitting clutch threes and Spencer being a very capable defender in non-Eaton minutes is strong.
Though it is close, I believe having no answer for Malone causes serious problems and ultimately proves to be the main reason why my team would win.

I'm not convinced Eaton would be a defensive anchor in a more modern era style basketball. Put him in a high pick and roll with Gobert and Conley and he's a liability. He was great when you had big centers that wanted to post up every play.

I'm not convinced Eaton would be a defensive anchor in a more modern era style basketball. Put him in a high pick and roll with Gobert and Conley and he's a liability. He was great when you had big centers that wanted to post up every play.
I was surprised by how mobile Eaton looked in early 80's footage I recently watched. I mostly remember the early 90's Eaton who was painfully lumbering on the court.
I'm not sure this changes your analysis of his pick and roll defense, but my perception of him has certainly changed.

I was surprised by how mobile Eaton looked in early 80's footage I recently watched. I mostly remember the early 90's Eaton who was painfully lumbering on the court.
I'm not sure this changes your analysis of his pick and roll defense, but my perception of him has certainly changed.
Hmm, I might have to look at some then. I also only remember 90s Eaton.

Eaton’s later years he was definitely not mobile and lumbering, however, in his prime during the early to mid 80’s he had much better movement. Definitely not Gobert type athletic but mobile.

I assume Gobert would guard Malone. Malone can shoot but inside the 3 so he doesn't pull Gobert too far away from the hoop.
This is false. If Gobert isn’t on Malone’s grill, Malone will kill him from the outside, also in his prime, Malone had a very quick explosive first step. When Gobert goes to guard against Malone’s mid range game, he’d get destroyed with Malone driving on him. It would result in a made layup or dunk or a trip to the foul line. This is how he scored a ridiculous amount of points, half way through the game Goberts defense would be neutralized. Malone was a lot like Harden in that he got that special treatment from refs. At times he took over games at the foul line. I think he’d have a 60 pt game in this series. I’m as big a Gobert fan as any here, but he’d get destroyed by Malone. Malone was special in the post. He was either going to finish inside or draw contact. I mean how else does a 6-9 256LB post player playing below the rim score the second most points in league history. I wouldn’t even let Gobert guard Malone. I’d stick him on Eaton and help off of him. Putting Gobert on Malone is Goberts funeral.
On defense Rudy would struggle against Eaton
Lmao. I read this line 5 times to make sure I read this right.

I remember absolutely hating to watch Eaton growing up. I thought he must be the worst player in the NBA, and couldn't wait to get a new center. It was only when I got a little older I learned about his block records and DPOYs.

This is false. If Gobert isn’t on Malone’s grill, Malone will kill him from the outside, also in his prime, Malone had a very quick explosive first step. When Gobert goes to guard against Malone’s mid range game, he’d get destroyed with Malone driving on him. It would result in a made layup or dunk or a trip to the foul line. This is how he scored a ridiculous amount of points, half way through the game Goberts defense would be neutralized. Malone was a lot like Harden in that he got that special treatment from refs. At times he took over games at the foul line. I think he’d have a 60 pt game in this series. I’m as big a Gobert fan as any here, but he’d get destroyed by Malone. Malone was special in the post. He was either going to finish inside or draw contact. I mean how else does a 6-9 256LB post player playing below the rim score the second most points in league history. I wouldn’t even let Gobert guard Malone. I’d stick him on Eaton and help off of him. Putting Gobert on Malone is Goberts funeral.
Malone does have a quick step and would give Gobert trouble overall. But he can still give him space on a pick and roll at the 3 point line. He can wait for him to step inside. This allows Gobert to play the pass lanes and make it a little harder for Malone. Malone has to drive in and pull up for a long 2, pass, or drive all the way in. But Malone never faced a player with Goberts length, quickness, and defensive timing. I think Gobert could do okay at times.
But, I do think the other option is to let someone else try to smother him, deny the ball, and bother him as much as possible leaving Gobert as the help defender who is always meeting him at the rim. I would throw multiple looks at him since he is going to be the majority of the offense.

No way Malone averages 60 a game in this series he only scored over 60 once in his entire career on a team where he was by far the main offensive weapon and without Stockton. This is also a finals situation, which hasnt been his best moments. I would expect him to put up around 30 ppg in this series.

I would love to see some iso Joe with Malone guarding him. Malone is so strong but Joe would make him have to work.

Lmao. I read this line 5 times to make sure I read this right.
Yeah that doesn’t read right. I meant when Rudy tried to do anything offensively other than set screens, Eaton’s length and physicality would bother him.

He has 1 in his whole very long career. It isn't going to happen in a finals game, without Stockton, and with one of the best defenders of all time on the court.

But I did misread that. I kind of skim your posts. My bad
Malone is a top 20 all time player being guarded by Gobert and ISO Joe. Malone is a matchup issue for Gobert, and this is all jazz players. If Mitchell can have two 50 pt games in the playoffs, why can’t Malone have one 60 pt game vs bad defenders minus Gobert, he’s not going to keep Malone off the foul line, Malone does a lot more then just score in pick and roll offense. Very comfortable in the high and low post. Nothing here tells me Malone couldn’t have a 60 point game. For some reason you don’t think Malone is one of the greatest players to ever play. Weird, being a jazz fan message board full of jazz fans. I didn’t say he would just that he could, and no reason to say he couldn’t.

Malone is a top 20 all time player being guarded by Gobert and ISO Joe. Malone is a matchup issue for Gobert, and this is all jazz players. If Mitchell can have two 50 pt games in the playoffs, why can’t Malone have one 60 pt game vs bad defenders minus Gobert, he’s not going to keep Malone off the foul line, Malone does a lot more then just score in pick and roll offense. Very comfortable in the high and low post. Nothing here tells me Malone couldn’t have a 60 point game. For some reason you don’t think Malone is one of the greatest players to ever play. Weird, being a jazz fan message board full of jazz fans. I didn’t say he would just that he could, and no reason to say he couldn’t.
Lol, that's a terrible argument. It's made even worse by trying to make some claim about me not thinking Malone is a great player. I think Malone is the best jazz player to ever play for the Jazz and one of the best players of all time. So we can put that to rest. I think you find making up things easier to argue against.

You think Malone never faced teams with bad defense? Oh wait minus one of the greatest defensive centers at all time. Maybe you are projecting your fanhood on me with all your Gobert hate.

I'm going to chuckle for awhile at the Mitchell did something why can't Malone do better. I'm glad you've decided and it's a fact Gobert is a matchup issue in this pretend hypothetical.

I assume Gobert would guard Malone. Malone can shoot but inside the 3 so he doesn't pull Gobert too far away from the hoop. Plus Eaton is almost no offensive threat. But Malone is still a huge problem. Green isn't going to feed Malone as well though, plus you can sag off green on the pick and roll since he can't hit the three.

Wes has the better team overall, but Malone might take the game over as the best player by far on the court. This one's close.
Great post. I gotta go with Malone. Sorry Wes

Close contest. It’s a toss-up. I think Gobert would do enough to slow Malone down…and I just don’t see a go to player, outside of Malone, who wasn’t always so clutch. I like my 1-4 in that regard in the waning minutes of a game. Great shooting and passing and personalities to step up in that moment. In my opinion of course.