What's new

The Ashes

Dude, you know 95% of these users are American right? :)
But I'm with ya.. Good ole Pat Cummins. This series might be the making of him

Why do you think I posted it?

Gonna be a great summer, beers, cricket, watching the Poms get flogged, what more could I ask for?

Thinking of doing day 3 or 4 of the boxing day test. might need to drop a day of work.

Why do you think I posted it?

Gonna be a great summer, beers, cricket, watching the Poms get flogged, what more could I ask for?

Thinking of doing day 3 or 4 of the boxing day test. might need to drop a day of work.

I'm such a romantic. I was cheap on my honeymoon and took my wife to boxing day test and the Australian Open. Nothing says true love like a wife who indulges a man's sporting passions :)

What's a ashes?

It's cricket's oldest rivalry. Australia versus the Motherland (England).

It involves usually 5 matches (Test matches - each lasting upto 5 days - 6 hours of play per day).

They are played biannually, home and away.

They are called the Ashes because famously after an early series of matches between the two countries in 1882, some Melbourne women burned a pair of cricket bails (things that go on top of the cricket stumps) and presented it to the losing England team captain in an urn - prior to the team sailing back home. It was the ultimate troll job. It was symbolizing that English cricket had died on this tour - RIP.

Truth be told though, this form of cricket is struggling to remain as popular as new variants which are as short as 3 hours.

Isn't the real most important cricket match in the world is India vs Pakistan?

Yeah technically you're prob right in terms of populations and global interest.
But interestingly, India and Pakistan are both aware of the history of cricket and its roots in the England/Australia rivalry. The Ashes is still considered the preeminent match-up. A bit like saying Yankees and Redsox is the pinnacle in baseball or Celtics/Lakers - when in today's currency it's all about Warriors and Lebron teams etc

Day one coming to an end, the Poms are on the back foot. Perfect.

Ummmm.. I don't know what "an asshes" is but I do know cricket and England 235/4 is hardly on the 'back foot' given that 500 is considered a VERY good score for a first innings total and England still has 6 wickets left.

No.

Yeah technically you're prob right in terms of populations and global interest.
But interestingly, India and Pakistan are both aware of the history of cricket and its roots in the England/Australia rivalry. The Ashes is still considered the preeminent match-up. A bit like saying Yankees and Redsox is the pinnacle in baseball or Celtics/Lakers - when in today's currency it's all about Warriors and Lebron teams etc

What a pile of *****, there is only one game of cricket that matters and that's beating the English, oh I hate them, I hate them so much it gives me energy, I wake in the middle of the night to hate the English, have to go outside and kick the the cat, **** the English.

Ummmm.. I don't know what "an asshes" is but I do know cricket and England 235/4 is hardly on the 'back foot' given that 500 is considered a VERY good score for a first innings total and England still has 6 wickets left.

8/270 we are well on top. Still looks like we might lose two days to rain, so a draw is most likely.