What's new

The Blow it Up NY Dallas Trade

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
Dallas has been the most mentioned trade partner for Rudy... Donovan has been for NY. Because NY owns the 2023 Dallas pick (top 14 protected) there is some motivation to link the trade ideas. If you did a deal with Donovan to NY you would get that Dallas pick... trading Rudy to Dallas for a package of picks and getting them to drop the protections on the pick would ensure you get more future picks.

If NY gets a top 4 pick you move Donovan for that pick and the 2023 Dallas pick... plus like Toppin, and Grimes or Quickly, and cap fodder mostly of their choosing (randle is a hard no). Its a little light but the top 5 is pretty solid in this draft. You might get a little more, but if they land #1 and can get Jabari Smith (who I think becomes the consensus #1 pick by draft night) I am not sure they would do it at all.

If they don't win the lotto they stay at 12... then it becomes the million pieces package. #12, 2023 Dallas pick, 2023 NY pick next year (they can trade it on draft night after they make the #12th pick), 25/27/29 picks all unprotected... plus we get Toppin, Quickly, Grimes, Reddish, and whatever cap fodder we choose. We also get pick swaps in 24/26. They do it because the have a young "core" for the first time with Donovan and RJ... and Randle??? plus Robinson I guess. Betting against NY is always a smart bet... its only a matter of time before they do something dumb.

McMahon mentioned Dallas would do a pick heavy package... so say you got them to drop the 23 protections and got the 25/27/29 picks basically unprotected. They might not do that deal unless you take one or two of their less than great contracts. Brunson is due a payday and Cuban is actually quite tax conscious in spite of the perceived attitude. Say they give Powell/Bertans and Boban... or if you must you eat the Hardaway or Dinwiddie deals by including Gay, NAW. Both guys could be flipped later for value when healthy. That's actually fairly juicy. Luka could leave, get hurt, etc. Rudy could age... those unprotected picks are great assets to use or trade later. I think Rudy will be a little tricky to trade so this is likely about as good as you can do.

Adding 8 picks and clearing the cap to add more if we want... bottoming out for 2023 and 2024 (which essentially adds another pick because of the OKC pick that is top 10 protected)... the rebuild could be quite quick. You have to land the guy... if you did and you have the other picks to fill out the roster you have a chance to build something like what Boston has. You don't have to be Orlando, Sacramento, etc.

We didn't even talk about what you could get moving the other pieces. I don't even think these trades are super one sided or all that ambitious and they would still set us up for great success. Remember when Orlando moved Vucevic and all they got... what if there is a team that will give 125% value? Stars haven't popped up on the trade market and you never know what teams will line up.

Its time... blow it the **** up.

Dinwiddie or Hardaway Jr could be flipped later for another first I’m sure maybe more.

We essentially add 10 first round picks through this which is godly.

Any deal with New York has to include Barrett if not it has to include both Toppin and Quickley.