What's new

The Chicago Bulls have a deal in place that would move Kirk Hinrich and the 17th pick to Washington

Chad Feldheimer

The Chicago Bulls have a deal in place that would move Kirk Hinrich and the 17th pick to the Washington Wizards, freeing up enough cap space to pursue two maximum-salary players in this summer's free-agent market, sources with knowledge of the Bulls' plans said Thursday.

It wasn't immediately clear what Washington would send to Chicago in the trade.

The deal can't be officially consummated until July 8, when the Wizards will have room under the salary cap to absorb Hinrich's $9 million contract without having to send back anything of similar value.

Since it's a good-faith deal for the time being, there remains a chance it could fall apart. But according to one source, the Sacramento Kings are prepared to make a similar deal with the Bulls in the Wizards' stead if that were to happen.

Either way, moving Hinrich and the pick would push Chicago's space under the cap from $20 million to more than $30 million. That puts the Bulls on equal footing with the Miami Heat in pursuing not just one but two members of a free-agent class that is expected to include LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer, Amare Stoudemire and Joe Johnson.

Boozer is all but gone....

And apparently Minnesota is the only team stockpiling point guards. Washington would have Hinrich Arenas and Wall? Weird move.

Last edited:
This is why a team such as New Jersey would trade their pick. With another team in the superstar free agent market, using your draft pick to ensure you get a known player rather than risking it by playing the FA game.

Boozer is a known quantity. Teams know that he can play in the NBA. Let's face it, any draftee is still a crapshoot. Favors and Cousins could both end up busts. The nets can guarantee themselves a quality player without the risk of losing him to another team by trying to acquire him in free agency.

I think this makes a LeBron/Bosh package to Chicago one of the more likely scenarios. Chicago will now have the 3rd-most cap-room and easily the best supporting cast. If LeBron's serious about winning championships, this is his best move (aside from teaming up with Wade which I don't think is a serious possibility).

Boozer to NJ looking better and better

Mark Washington off the list.

MIA CHI and maybe even NYK(probably not though) still possibles.

If I'm Lebron, Bulls are last team I want to play for. Bulls are Jordan's team. He will have to walk past Jordan's statue every game. He would have to win seven titles to surpass Jordan and get his own statue. I'd be shocked if Lebron's ego would allow him to sign with Bulls.

If I'm Lebron, Bulls are last team I want to play for. Bulls are Jordan's team. He will have to walk past Jordan's statue every game. He would have to win seven titles to surpass Jordan and get his own statue. I'd be shocked if Lebron's ego would allow him to sign with Bulls.

Is Boozer a restricted free agent? would the Nets draft Favor in order to do a sign and trade to get Boozer?

this makes me sad

Hinrich was overpaid so while it's nice to be rid of his contract, I'll really miss him as a player. I think his teammates will miss him as well, and I'm not sure D-Rose is ready to go it alone. Wish the Bulls would've/could've kept him.