What's new

The Omnium

Al-O-Meter

valente_jennifer_041317_800x500_2.jpg

The Omnium is one of my favorite sporting events. It is a series of 4 races with each race having different rules. By far the race I like most is the 3rd race. It is the Elimination Race. On every even numbered lap, the last place rider is kicked out of the race. Laps are quick so riders are eliminated every 40 seconds or so until there is only 1 left. It is fast and intense with a lot of drama. I love it!

The first race in the Omnium is the Scratch Race. It is pretty straight forward. Women race 7500 meters and the first across the line gets the most points. Second place gets the second most points and so on.

The second race is the Tempo Race. It is a race where the first person to cross the line on any lap gets a point. If you can race off the front fast enough to lap the main field you get 20 points.

Then comes the Elimination Race. I wrote about that first because it is my favorite. The bikes are equipped with an orange box with bright LED lights. If on an elimination lap you are the last to cross the line, the LED will flash in the rider’s face to tell them to leave the track. If you aren’t eliminated then get ready to suffer again in 40 seconds for the sprint to the next elimination point.

Finally they have the Points Race. It is like a longer version of the Tempo Race. You get 20 points for lapping the field. Instead of getting a point every lap, there are sprint points every 10 laps and the top 4 all get points.

If the Olympics had happened in 2020 when they were supposed to, I think the US would have dominated. The track cyclist representing America in the Women’s Omnium is Jennifer Valente and she was in great form at the end of 2019. She has won a bronze medal so far at these Olympics but hasn’t looked to me like she did in 2019. That said, the Omnium is her best event and I’m pulling for her.
Valente.jpg

Despite some serious carnage in a couple of the races including one where Valente hit the deck and needed a new bike in the middle of the race, Jennifer Valente did pull off the victory and got the gold medal. Track Cycling isn't like Women's Basketball, Water Polo, or Soccer where the US women have a dynasty. No US woman had EVER won a gold medal at the Olympics in track cycling.
image.related.StuffLandscapeSixteenByNine.710x400.230rku.png

fmuuwy3w7medsfjolnx9

rk_jennifervalente_080821.jpg

That gold medal was either the last medal awarded at these Olympics or one of the last medals awarded and was the medal that put the United States ahead of China in the gold medal count.
Medal-Count.jpg

Last edited:
I watched some of this and agree the Elimination stage is the most fun. Reminded me of a fast version of musical chairs.

I had no idea previously that there are so many different types of track cycling races. I think the only ones I had seen before was the team cycling ones.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app