What's new

The Pope kicks ***

Beantown

I love this new Pope. Seems like a great guy.

131106172149-01-pope-1106-horizontal-gallery.jpg

https://www.cnn.com/2013/11/07/world/europe/pope-francis-embrace/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

He's definitely better than Ratzinger, that's for sure. Which is not to say I don't have complaints, the biggest of which is that he's solidly against women's ordination. The Catholic Church remains a 2000-year-old boys' club, because apparently only men are fit to be spiritual leaders. I can't fathom why anyone would think that makes any sense at all.

I agree with the OP.

While I grew up with noxious religious prejudices and was in a Catholic country (the Philippines) on my LDS mission, and have studied the role of the Catholic Church in medieval history as a sort of lynchpin of elitist banker/fascist power. . . . it turned out that I know some Catholic folks who are actually more decent and more generous and more loving than I am, for sure. Some of the recent popes have won my heart because of their principled and faithful examples. . . .

I have a sister-in-law from Brazil who is a Catholic. My kids, when she was tending them, went with her kids to activities and school in her Church. Funny thing. . . we also have a very devout "born-gain Christian" grampa for our kids, and my kids also went sometimes to his church. . . . my kids were pretty quick about figuring out which church was which. . .

"The Catholic Church is God's Church, The Christian Church is Jesus' Church, and the Mormon Church is Heavenly Father's Church."

The guy's actions seem legit. Decades of proof that he cares about the downtrodden. They don't even have to make up stories about this guy.

Just contrast that with the media fables of a "person of the poor" such as that Corey Booker/Obama Jr. joker of a Senator in New Jersey that claimed he was living in the hood in Newark amongst the people and nobody there ever saw the dude because he was too busy partying away in Manhattan.

It's good that we may have a few authentic public figures at least, and when one them happens to be the Pope, that makes it that much better.