What's new

Thinking About a Larger Change...

Jason

Administrator
Staff member
I've been toying with doing an upgrade to JazzFanz's forum software lately but really wondering if there are features we don't have that you'd be interested in? Initially I was thinking we'd just re-skin the site and update the underlying software to the latest and greatest but the recent post about boxscores and request for chat got me thinking... What do you want on JazzFanz.com? Take a few minutes, if you would, and tell me:

1. What features exist today we JUST. CAN'T. LOSE?
a. Like/Dislike
b. Reputation or similar
c. Personal forums for Premium Members
d. Ignore
e. PMs
f. Tapatalk or the JazzFanz.com app
g. What else?

2. What features don't exist today but you would you want to get here?
a. Self-publish a blog-style article as opposed to just post?
b. Jazz News more curated and consolidated
c. Schedule, standings, and boxscores
d. Better chat
e. Better mobile experience in a browser
f. Ability to ban Colton (kidding)
g. Remove all/some ads for Premium Members
h. What else?

What is it? You can say to change nothing as well. No promises or guarantees implied other than, if I do something, there's a decent chance SOME functionality might go away short or long-term just based on the nature of a major update to a new piece of software.

Thanks in advance.

I like the forum in general. I dont think for me the rep, like/dislike stuff matters. I definitely want to keep the PMs and the App. I wish the App was a little better or at least had a few more features.

I think having a chat app that worked with the app and the site would be a really great upgrade. I prefer having the chat during the game then trying to type in the game thread and make a post.

I think having a boxscore would be nice and I would glance at it during the game.

1. JUST. CAN'T. LOSE?
a. Personal forums for Premium Members
b. Ignore
c. PMs

a. Schedule, standings, and boxscores
b. Better chat
c. Better mobile experience in a browser
d. Ability for users to give a one day ban to a poster by having given x dislikes to them for one of their posts (10 dislikes? 12?)
e. Remove all/some ads for Premium Members
f. Provide links to best NBA links/resources
g. more boobs

Above.

Last edited:
I've been toying with doing an upgrade to JazzFanz's forum software lately but really wondering if there are features we don't have that you'd be interested in? Initially I was thinking we'd just re-skin the site and update the underlying software to the latest and greatest but the recent post about boxscores and request for chat got me thinking... What do you want on JazzFanz.com? Take a few minutes, if you would, and tell me:

1. What features exist today we JUST. CAN'T. LOSE?
a. Like/Dislike
b. Reputation or similar
c. Personal forums for Premium Members
d. Ignore
e. PMs
f. Tapatalk or the JazzFanz.com app
g. What else?

a. Self-publish a blog-style article as opposed to just post?
b. Jazz News more curated and consolidated
c. Schedule, standings, and boxscores
d. Better chat
e. Better mobile experience in a browser
f. Ability to ban Colton (kidding)
g. Remove all/some ads for Premium Members
h. What else?

What is it? You can say to change nothing as well. No promises or guarantees implied other than, if I do something, there's a decent chance SOME functionality might go away short or long-term just based on the nature of a major update to a new piece of software.

Thanks in advance.

1. PMs obviously are essential. Would be nice if inbox capacity is raised for non-premium members. I think some kind of reputation system is desirable. I don't care about ignore or personal forums.

2. b and c would be nice, but it doesn't really matter much to me. I don't use the app, so I can't comment on that. I would like to see a revamp to make the forum look slick and modern. That'd be a nice change.

PMs, Ignore and a like/rep system are keepers.

Like and a rep system seems redundant to me.

I'd love to have a box score

I would like it if ignore had two levels. A "hide" feature that makes it so that you have to choose to see the post and a "make invisible" feature that makes it so that you do not see that the person posted and you don't see posts that quote that poster. No idea if that's a thing.
And I'd like it to work the same between the regular and mobile site.

I don't care about personal forums. If I were you I'd offer that as an additional option above premium going forward, obviously people with personal forums now would be grandfathered in.

I think the rep and like/dislike features need to be the same thing or one needs to be dropped.

Gotta keep the spoiler box function and it should be one of the options in the "quick reply" feature, currently you either have to have the 1337-a55 skill to manually type it in or "go advanced."

Would be really cool to have a blog style section with posters that occasionally post more in-depth stuff. I'd also like to see the game threads posted there and for there to be a more professional look and standard set of information provided in the game thread. I was out of line trying to do a game thread sign-up, but you wouldn't be and I think it's a good idea. If you look at other team's fan sites their game threads often put ours to shame. I mean a bunch of sort-of funny photoshops and a pretty girl? A template would be useful here.

I don't really like the mob rule of having dislikes give a person a time-out. I think there are a few people who are abusive and should have been dealt with according to existing forum rules... I'll leave it at that.

I would like it if ignore had two levels. A "hide" feature that makes it so that you have to choose to see the post and a "make invisible" feature that makes it so that you do not see that the person posted and you don't see posts that quote that poster. No idea if that's a thing.
And I'd like it to work the same between the regular and mobile site.

I don't care about personal forums. If I were you I'd offer that as an additional option above premium going forward, obviously people with personal forums now would be grandfathered in.

I think the rep and like/dislike features need to be the same thing or one needs to be dropped.

Gotta keep the spoiler box function and it should be one of the options in the "quick reply" feature, currently you either have to have the 1337-a55 skill to manually type it in or "go advanced."

Would be really cool to have a blog style section with posters that occasionally post more in-depth stuff. I'd also like to see the game threads posted there and for there to be a more professional look and standard set of information provided in the game thread. I was out of line trying to do a game thread sign-up, but you wouldn't be and I think it's a good idea. If you look at other team's fan sites their game threads often put ours to shame. I mean a bunch of sort-of funny photoshops and a pretty girl? A template would be useful here.

I don't really like the mob rule of having dislikes give a person a time-out. I think there are a few people who are abusive and should have been dealt with according to existing forum rules... I'll leave it at that.

Yeah I only have 1336 skills so I can't do that.

I would like to see the whole inbox/settings/behind the scenes experience streamlined. Right now it is pretty clunky, even just looking at the whole process to delete a post from your inbox.

A real-time individual chat feature, like a facebook chat thing, would be cool if possible. So you could message someone else who is online and get a chat box where the 2 of you could chat instead of relying on in-box messages. Not a huge big deal but file it under "would be cool".

Thanks again for the comments. Of course we can't/won't do them all but I love to hear the ideas and try to incorporate what I can. Keep it coming...

The banning Colton function sounds nice, but I think we can expand on that. I've always wanted a Jazzfanz Island feature, where we can all vote to ban a certain user to the island for a period of time.

Maybe once a month we could have a vote on whether or not the island is needed at that time. This way, if we have someone running amuck and destroying threads, but not really breaking rules enough for the mods to step in, we still have an option to address the issue.

Adding a "stickied stuff" section for selected long term threads would be nice. That way I don't have to search for a thread when I hear a cool new song or try a new restaurant.

Some soul.
Meaning, I would like to see more content about Jazz, the music genre.

Notice the name of the place.
As a Blues enthusiast, this was actually the original reason I stumbled upon this site. A Jazz Fan.
I have decided to stay due to the community but would still enjoy more content for actual fanz of Jazz.

Some soul.
Meaning, I would like to see more content about Jazz, the music genre.

Notice the name of the place.
As a Blues enthusiast, this was actually the original reason I stumbled upon this site. A Jazz Fan.
I have decided to stay due to the community but would still enjoy more content for actual fanz of Jazz.

you talk like real jinglin joe lol

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

A real-time individual chat feature, like a facebook chat thing, would be cool if possible. So you could message someone else who is online and get a chat box where the 2 of you could chat instead of relying on in-box messages. Not a huge big deal but file it under "would be cool".

My favorite suggestion.

Also, I want to point out that rep and like/dislike are NOT the same. One is post specific, and the other is a lifetime tally.

Being able to give rep in the app. I use the app like 90% of the time. The other day I was on the desktop and tried to give rep but I hadn’t passed enough around. It had been like two weeks since I’d given that poster my last rep.

And the ability to “unlike” or “unthank” a post in the app. Also the ability to dislike a post in the app.