What's new

This is BAD basketball!!!

carolinajazz

....it may be watchable only because the games are fairly close well into the 4th quarter with no blow outs.....but when your best teams have more turnovers than assists....that's not good basketball! The last two games the Lakers have totaled more turnovers than assists.....and there assists totals have been pathetically low! Today's NBA doesn't come near to the product it was back in the 80's and even the 90's! And can you imagine one ESPN clown suggested that one way to improve the NBA product is to reduce the shot clock from 24 seconds to 20 seconds!!!??? Yeah, instead of shooting 40% from the field, most teams would shoot 30%!!!

Bobby Knight, who opposed the introduction of a shot clock in college ball, at least had this insight. "If that's what you want, why give em 24 seconds? It should autta be 10 seconds."

To be fair, the number 24 wasn't totally arbitrary. That was designed to create a minimum of 120 possessions per game.

Well, 10 seconds aint totally arbitrary neither, eh? It guarantees a minimum of 288 possessions a game, which is exactly too gross, see?

Edit: I dunno if I needz to give any hints, er not, but, just in case, one gross = 144. That's, like, one dozen dozens, but it really dozen matta, I spoze.

CJ, alternatively the series could be thought of as extremely good from a defensive standpoint. Have you been watching it?

CJ, alternatively the series could be thought of as extremely good from a defensive standpoint. Have you been watching it?

...of course I've been watching it.....I'm a basketball type guy! And I'm not saying it's unwatchable from a basketball standpoint. It's just not as entertaining to see when shooting percentages are down for either one or both teams.....and turnovers are high for either one or both teams. Compared to the old Laker/Celtic finals back in Magic and Birds day, this is pretty bad, agreed? Just seems like a whole lot of "free lancing" on offense...which results in poor shot selection and poor shooting percentages. The Celtics shot well.....but turnovers kept the game close. Kobe hit some unbelievable shots under extreme duress but the Lakers shot poorly overall. I know defenses tighten up during the playoffs, but I don't think it's been the defenses that have caused the poor shooting. I think most NBA teams just don't have a "system" designed to get players open so they have a decent chance of making shots. They just prefer the "one on one" and "isolation" stuff.....which doesn't generally produce a high percentage shot. What have you observed?

Compared to the old Laker/Celtic finals back in Magic and Birds day, this is pretty bad, agreed?

I can't comment on this issue given that the last time Magic and Larry played a finals against one another I was 3 years old. One might imagine my understanding of the game was imperfect.

Just seems like a whole lot of "free lancing" on offense...which results in poor shot selection and poor shooting percentages. The Celtics shot well.....but turnovers kept the game close. Kobe hit some unbelievable shots under extreme duress but the Lakers shot poorly overall. I know defenses tighten up during the playoffs, but I don't think it's been the defenses that have caused the poor shooting.

I think Boston has been sort of sloppy on offense but their defense has been absolutely smothering. The Lakers seem to be taking a lot perimeter shots late in the clock not because isos and the like have failed but simply because they've been unable to generate shots. A few Lakers players might as well be playing for the Clippers with the way they've played in the series. A hestitation of a second or two or small ball-handling errors allow the Boston defense to reset. I've been very impressed with Boston in the series.

....it may be watchable only because the games are fairly close well into the 4th quarter with no blow outs.....but when your best teams have more turnovers than assists....that's not good basketball! The last two games the Lakers have totaled more turnovers than assists.....and there assists totals have been pathetically low! Today's NBA doesn't come near to the product it was back in the 80's and even the 90's! And can you imagine one ESPN clown suggested that one way to improve the NBA product is to reduce the shot clock from 24 seconds to 20 seconds!!!??? Yeah, instead of shooting 40% from the field, most teams would shoot 30%!!!

for once i agree with you.

yet ratings are high