What's new

This thread is for everyone who has lost their minds about Royce

I think Royce is 3rd in the league in +/-

That’s really all you have to say?

He’s 329th out of 379 players in PER.

Last 9 games he is 4/34 from 3. Not a typo.

Last 9 games he is averaging 4.3 PPG.

This is a starting player on the best team in the league and dude wants to bring up +/-. Maybe because he’s on the court with the best team in the league?

I love Royce, this shoting slump will be over someday and he will improve his impact to what has once been a positive impact.
With that being said, he is too limited offensivelly and not as good defensivelly as most of us though he was in the past. There are dozens of players in the league that I would prefer in his price range. Will any of them come to Utah in free agency? Not sure. Do we have the assets to trade for them? Absolutelly not. So we roll with Royce.
The most disappointing for me is the development aspect. He had a couple of offseasons to add things to his game and he didnt add much.

just watched it again, that was some serious wtf defending....he shoulda fouled em at least wtf

Literally anything... ANYTHING... is better than playing matador defense and allowing a wide open layup to tie the game.

Also, is it normal for a team to attack the "best" perimeter defender on the opposing team on the final possession of the game?

royce got smoked on that play, but i still believe in him, hes rebounding the ball, hes gona find it.

Maybe just dump all your insanity in this thread? Get it out of your system?
It is not insanity to think Royce is a bench player and not an NBA starter. I have always thought that. I think he would excel even more coming off the bench because he would be playing against bench players.

That’s really all you have to say?

He’s 329th out of 379 players in PER.

Last 9 games he is 4/34 from 3. Not a typo.

Last 9 games he is averaging 4.3 PPG.

This is a starting player on the best team in the league and dude wants to bring up +/-. Maybe because he’s on the court with the best team in the league?
He’s obviously in a slump. His mother also obviously gave him the name Royce... should we discuss that obvious point, too?

I see the body of his work. And I see his clear value.

I see you’re doubling down and will die on this hill. Dude is a liability and will get exposed (again) in the playoffs.
I see you’re still unable to see the full chain of causation... and are thus still dumbly pointing your finger in the wrong direction.

Royce is generally good at what he does.... BUT IS CONTINUOUSLY COACHED INTO SITUATIONS THAT MIGHT BE OUTSIDE OF WHAT HE’S GOOD AT. Someone has to do that kind of dirty work, I guess, because no team has a tool for every job. It’s just too bad that these players get turned into scapegoats by fans who can’t see the larger picture.

It is not insanity to think Royce is a bench player and not an NBA starter. I have always thought that. I think he would excel even more coming off the bench because he would be playing against bench players.
Do we need to make an Excel spreadsheet listing the 5th options on championship-contending teams?

Can you name me a championship team who had a 6'4 PF be a reason they won an nba championship. You would not need an Excel spreadsheet for that list.
He doesn’t play “PF”. I wish I knew what position he played.... but since Quin asks him to do everything, it’s kind of hard to tell, right?

Royce is a below average basketball player with extremely limited offensive diversity for his size, and can't really guard bigger players and doesn't have the athleticism to guard elite smaller players. It's interesting how he ever got the reputation for being a defensive stopper, cuz he just isn't. He plays hard so there's that and he is strong. Doesn't play particularly smart as evidenced by the last play of regulation last night either, but at least he can shoot wide open threes the latest slump not withstanding.

I just wish Royce had more confidence in himself. He's completely capable. He had some really impressive finishes going to the rim. He puts too much pressure on himself when it comes to making/missing shots.

I see you’re still unable to see the full chain of causation... and are thus still dumbly pointing your finger in the wrong direction.

Royce is generally good at what he does.... BUT IS CONTINUOUSLY COACHED INTO SITUATIONS THAT MIGHT BE OUTSIDE OF WHAT HE’S GOOD AT. Someone has to do that kind of dirty work, I guess, because no team has a tool for every job. It’s just too bad that these players get turned into scapegoats by fans who can’t see the larger picture.
Part of the coaching problem is that's Royce is the best we have, which means they use the best they have to handle those plays. Unfortunately the FO's inability to upgrade our perimeter D means Royce will be put in more situations he isn't capable of handling.

I can just say thank God we have the best interior defender, maybe the best defender period, in a generation or 2 to bail us out.

But the FO's lack of foresight gets exposed when Rudy goes down for even one game. I'm afraid it will be our undoing in the playoffs when teams will exploit the weaker defenders and try to overload Gobert.

Part of the coaching problem is that's Royce is the best we have, which means they use the best they have to handle those plays. Unfortunately the FO's inability to upgrade our perimeter D means Royce will be put in more situations he isn't capable of handling.

I can just say thank God we have the best interior defender, maybe the best defender period, in a generation or 2 to bail us out.

But the FO's lack of foresight gets exposed when Rudy goes down for even one game. I'm afraid it will be our undoing in the playoffs when teams will exploit the weaker defenders and try to overload Gobert.
Our FO is fully committed to the bend-but-don’t-break philosophy of defense. I watched it for yearrrrrrs as a Patriots fan. As a fan that prizes defense above all other facets, there were some frustrating losses.... lots of rings though. We just need Rudy to be Tom Brady, I guess. Or maybe Tim Duncan.

Should Ingles be starting instead of Royce or Bogey. Makes sense to have your best players play the most minutes. Ingles PER is 17. Bogey is 13 anf Royce 9. I know PER won't help a player like Royce but he is struggling atm.

Oni's inability to break out within the offense has been really disappointing. Not only did I think he would at least supplement Royce and make his job easier, I thought he would be in prime position to take some minutes from Royce. He still has all the problems he has always had though of picking up his dribble one dribble to early and just generally not having foresight in the offense to do anything of note to the point where he cant even get on the court with a depleted team in desperate need of anything.