What's new

TIL Thread

Archie Moses

TIL, or today I learned, on Reddit is one of my favorite sub-Reddit's so why not have a thread on here.

TIL about Wojtek the bear. He was a bear adopted by Polish soldiers in Iran during WWII and was enlisted officially as a soldier with the rank of private, and was subsequently promoted to corporal. He was known for mimicking soldiers and fighting on the frontline by carrying heavy ammunition cases for hours. After the war, he lived out the rest of his life in a Scottish zoo.

Pretty cool story if you ask me.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/4731787/wojtek-the-bear-history

Last edited:
TIL no one cares what I learned on Jazzfanz nor has anyone else from Jazzfanz learned something worth sharing.

Bummer.

I'll stick to Reddit.

TIL, or today I learned, on Reddit is one of my favorite sub-Reddit's so why not have a thread on here.

TIL about Wojtek the bear. He was a bear adopted by Polish soldiers in Iran during WWII and was enlisted officially as a soldier with the rank of private, and was subsequently promoted to corporal. He known for mimicking soldiers and fighting on the frontline by carrying heavy ammunition cases for hours. After the war, he lived out the rest of his life in a Scottish zoo.

Pretty cool story if you ask me.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/4731787/wojtek-the-bear-history

Wow. Did not know that. Pretty cool.

Today I learned that it is really, really hard to fix the mistakes my job predecessor made.

Today I re-learned that having an 80-year-old mother who doesn't understand technology or how most anything works these days is really inconvenient.

Not interesting, but it is all I've had time for today.

TIL a former (1983-86) President of the Provo MTC secretly had an underground rape chamber.

https://mormonleaks.io/newsroom/201...esident-admitting-inappropriate-interactions/

Pretty sure I know that guy:
welcome-to-my-underground-lair.jpg

The board game Scythe features Wojtek as one of the animal companions for one of the characters.

Heard about that. Couldn't listen to it. Makes me sick.
I read the transcript, and yeah, it's pretty disturbing. He clearly has had many victims. Quite a mess. Until yesterday, Deseret Book was still selling his books. It'll be interesting to see how big of a news story this becomes, and what other information is brought to light in the process.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

Makes me sick.

Me, too.

What a grotesque misuse of trust and leadership. What a ****ing hack.

Agreed.

I read the transcript, and yeah, it's pretty disturbing. He clearly has had many victims. Quite a mess. Until yesterday, Deseret Book was still selling his books. It'll be interesting to see how big of a news story this becomes, and what other information is brought to light in the process.

Well, it just came out yesterday, didn't it?

For what it's worth, here's a statement by the church from earlier today:

---
https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/arti...dent-alleged-abuse-joseph-l-bishop-march-2018

In response to questions from multiple media outlets about allegations that a former Church mission president committed sexual assault, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released the following statement Tuesday, March 20, 2018.

These allegations are very serious and deeply disturbing. If the allegations of sexual assault are true, it would be a tragic betrayal of our standards and would result in action by the Church to formally discipline any member who was guilty of such behavior, especially someone in a position of trust.

This matter was brought to the attention of the Church in 2010, when this former Church member, who served briefly as a missionary in 1984, told leaders of the Pleasant Grove Utah West Stake that she had been sexually assaulted by the president of the Provo Missionary Training Center, Joseph Bishop, 25 years earlier. They listened carefully to the claims being made and then this was immediately reported to the Pleasant Grove Police Department, and the police interviewed her at that time. The Church does not know what she said in that interview, but the Church received no further communication from the police concerning the matter.

At the same time, the Church referred these allegations to the local ecclesiastical leaders of Joseph Bishop. Those leaders met with Mr. Bishop, who denied the allegations. Unable to verify the allegations, they did not impose any formal Church discipline on Mr. Bishop at that time.

The matter resurfaced in 2016 when the same individual contacted a stake president in Pueblo, Colorado, and then again a few weeks ago in January 2018, when the Church was contacted by a lawyer representing her. He provided a copy of a recording that she had made of a conversation between her and 85-year-old Joseph Bishop in December 2017. Since that time, the Church has engaged in an investigation of this individual’s allegations. In the course of that investigation, both she and Mr. Bishop have been interviewed by outside legal counsel. Not surprisingly, the stories, timelines and recollections of those involved are dramatically different. This woman reaffirmed her allegations, and Mr. Bishop has again denied them. We have no record of an interview between Elder Carlos E. Asay (1926-1999) and this individual.

The Church, as a religious organization, does not have the investigative tools available to law enforcement agencies. Nor can the Church substitute for the courts in adjudicating legal claims. The Church has great faith in the judicial system to determine the truth of these claims. Nevertheless, the Church takes seriously its responsibility to hold its members accountable for their conduct with respect of the laws of God and man. To that end, the Church is continuing its investigation of this individual's claims and will act consistent with its long-standing policy of no tolerance for abuse.