What's new

Tomic + drafting a wing is probably as big as its going to get this summer.

Hotdog

Which isn't a bad summer. Maybe add a little cheap depth like Al Forouq Aminu or something. Maybe extend Booker if we can before he becomes a free agent. Re-sign Evans, Cotton, Ingles, and Millsap

It would be nice to land one of the big free agents (Leonard, Draymond, Butler, or Middleton), but it's probably not going to happen, and we will still be really good without them

When adding free agents it's important to take into account what influence it will have on other player on the team, and whether or not it will be worth it. We already have Burks, Hayward, Hood, and probably Ingles as our wings. We don't want to add a free agent there unless it's one of the big ones because you'll disappoint and piss off somebody eventually. So you'll be forced to make a trade like we did with Kanter. Therefore it's best we add a rookie who will know his place in the short term and we can decide later what to do. Like if we add Super Mario he will probably be ok for a bit getting limited minutes. But probably not for long.

No point in adding any big names for the Center or Power Forward position besides Tomic . You want to add someone willing to come off the bench. Regardless if you can afford someone like LaMarcus Aldridge. Phoenix made this mistake by adding Isaiah Thomas.

Our point guard situation is the same. Adding anyone, we lose Exum and Burke. Even if we want to its not a good idea right now. Trade 1 or both first before you replace them and destroy their value. We should give them both some more time anyways.

The end.

The Jazz have five first round picks and 13 2nd rounders IIRC. I want to see moves. Oh, and Exum's contract to offer.

I'd love to see an all defensive team from 1 to 5 with some scoring ability for balance. I'd also love to see a star but that's a bit more difficult to pull off. I think this season they make another team of scrubs that makes the playoffs and then sell that next season as a destination for an All Star to collect chips.

I feel like Tobias Harris could be a Jazz kind of guy. Maybe he replaces Booker.

Hmm ... I haven't seen him a lot, but intigued by him. Still young enough to develop well. But Orlando GM recently quoted as saying they'll do everything they need to do as to keep him there (he's a RFA). Maybe just trying to scare off other teams. But if Hayward got higher-than-imagined offers last year (because of the dearth of good wings), Harris may too this year. Doubt the Jazz would give him the near-max money that may be needed to bring him. Not sure, either why he would want to come to what looks to be an increasingly crowded wing situation for the Jazz (unless someone is moved prior). I really doubt he'll want to come in as a stretch (backup) 4.

The Jazz have five first round picks and 13 2nd rounders IIRC. I want to see moves. Oh, and Exum's contract to offer.

I'd love to see an all defensive team from 1 to 5 with some scoring ability for balance. I'd also love to see a star but that's a bit more difficult to pull off. I think this season they make another team of scrubs that makes the playoffs and then sell that next season as a destination for an All Star to collect chips.

Wish granted!

Animated-pulsar-flashing-in-night-sky.gif

So chad ford thinks Kevin looney is the next Lamar odom. If that is true, I want to see a lineup of exum, hayward, looney, favors and Gobert. That is an insanely huge lineup at every position, but still very athletic and quick enough.

I feel like Tobias Harris could be a Jazz kind of guy. Maybe he replaces Booker.

That's goes against what I was saying though. If you sign Tobias then I think that's going to hurt someone's feelings. Plus he's been playing the 4 quite a bit I believe. He's not pushing Favors back. He could possibly play the 3. But then that pushes Hayward to the 2, and then that means, Ingles, Burks, Hood, and possibly our draft pick will be getting limited minutes because Tobias won't be happy unless he's playing a lot.
He could possibly be our 3rd big and 2nd 3, but that still going to make someone unhappy and it doesn't solve the problem for needing a backup center. Booker will not be happy with that situation because Tobias takes over his role.

The only players that are worth bringing in that we can safely play over our other wings, are Butler, Leonard, and Draymond, and maybe Middleton, but not so sold on the idea of giving up on Hood, Ingles, and Burks, just to bring in Middleton.

I've more or less come around to this. I really want Tomic, so I'd like to see the Jazz do what they need to (contract-wise) to get him stateside. That's priority #1 in my mind.

Besides that, I'm hoping that they make a move in the draft to grab a player that they're high on. I'm hoping that they come out of the draft with one of Russell, Winslow, Hezonja, Johnson, Porzingis, WCS or (even) Oubre. . . and I have a feeling that all of them will be gone by #12.

On top on the growth and development of young players, getting Burks back healthy, adding Tomic and another lottery talent to the team should be enough for this team to take the next step - making the playoffs. Aside from that (when he hasn't been tanking), DL has targeted bargain free agents (Booker and Bazemore) and has mined a few gems from off the scrap pile (Jingles, Millsap and Cotton). I fully expect the Jazz to be active in free agency - just maybe not looking to make a big splash this offseason. Add a couple of pieces to improve the depth of the team and let the cake bake.

I fully expect this team to compete for the playoffs AND then look to add an All Star player in 2016 by trading their numerous assets to make it happen. Don't skip steps. Build internally (until you max out) and then go big or go home.

He is not. He was already posturing to push his way to NYK during Orlando's last season. Milwaukee was widely criticized for trading him to Orlando for basically nothing, perhaps they knew what they were doing?

Last edited:
It should be Tomic +BPA. Why a wing? No more playing time there than at PG or big man. Either way a rookie is going to have a difficult time getting minutes the next couple of years. Unless he blows up then he'll deserve them no matter what position he plays.

You're against offering Exum for an all star? Ok.

At this extremely early point in his career yes I am against trading Exum.

Id trade Burke, Millsap, Cotton, Cooley and Johnson before Id trade Exum.

I agree in trying to use our other assets to land a player though (or a higher draft pick).