What's new

Top 10 Best Jazz Players of All Time - Thread 1 of 5

Pick your top 6 Jazz players from this list...

• Total voters

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
I am putting together 5 threads, each with 10 players, to vote on to see who we all think are the top 10 players in Jazz history. It is tough to put this together as we really need more than 10 voting slots, otherwise you run the risk of putting a possible top 7 or 8 together where one has to be voted out. But let's see how we can make this work.

@Jason if there is a way to temporarily extend the voting limit let me know, then I can break this into better chunks.

Otherwise, we will have 5 threads of 10 players each. Putting them together was no easy feat, and I tried to look at all eras and include most of the players with the most games, seasons, best stats, or highest impact as a Jazz man. This is only for their time on the NO Jazz or UT Jazz, not the Starzz. So there is some definite subjectivity in that I tried to go through most of the players we have had and get together my version of the top 50. I am sure we can argue about the fringe, but I am also pretty certain I covered at least the top 20-25 pretty accurately, so we are likely to have our top 10 in this mix.

I also put together their stats as a Jazz man and will post those stats with each voting block as a picture from my excel spreadsheet. I did not include accolades, you can look those up or guess on those yourselves. It took me long enough to compile the list.

So here is the process. You will be given 10 players in each thread. They have been randomized from the original list of 50 in the hopes of mixing it up pretty well and it looks like it did that as intended for the most part. You can select 6 players in each set of 10. This will give us 3 sets of 10 to end the thing in the second round.

So here is the first set:

1657033732034.png

This one was a little tougher than the others for me. I really liked watching Blue play, but he probably wasn't one of the all time best. I also really like Rubio, especially because he wanted to be here and always gave full effort.

From initial voting just today, taking the top 3 from each poll, we are showing the following top 15. This is NOT the official list to move to the next round, it is just a preliminary look at the voting. Offical voting will go 3-5 days depending on participation.

Al Jefferson (19) - tied with Korver in this group
Hayward (21) - tied with Bryon Russell
Harpring (22)
Hornacek (23)
Millsap (23)
Big T (23)
Dantley (24)
AK47 (24)
Eaton (24)
Gobert (24)
Okur (25)
Mitchell (25)
D Will (25)
Malone (25)
Stockton (27)

By this measure we would leave 6 of the top 10 ppg scorers in Jazz history off the list. Maravich, Robinson, Boozer, John Drew, Jeff Malone, and Bogie are all in the top 10 in ppg scoring for the Jazz and are not among the top 3 of their respective groups in the poll. Kind of interesting.

Most of the votes I am seeing make sense but a few big misses IMO. John Drew may to this day be the best 6th man the Jazz have ever had. Tough call with the others on this list - he is by no means a definite vote but he needs more votes than he is getting.

Most of the votes I am seeing make sense but a few big misses IMO. John Drew may to this day be the best 6th man the Jazz have ever had. Tough call with the others on this list - he is by no means a definite vote but he needs more votes than he is getting.
I voted for Drew. Kind of unknown to the younger folks out there, and even some of them who followed the team in the earliest days don't recognize him. Was solid. I put him ahead of Conley. Eisley, Rubio and Edwards.

I voted for Drew. Kind of unknown to the younger folks out there, and even some of them who followed the team in the earliest days don't recognize him. Was solid. I put him ahead of Conley. Eisley, Rubio and Edwards.
I think it is close between he and Mike in terms of talent but Drew was amazing off the bench and took lots of pressure off of Dantley. And he always made Hot Rod's day when he came in and jacked one up within the first 25 seconds on the floor. May the "Gunslinger" RIP.

This has been a good turnout. Might be the best turnout we have had for voting on the site, at least that I have seen. Keep it up!

I will update the 15 player leaderboard shortly. We will keep this open for another couple of days to get as many to vote as possible. If you are a lurker, we need your vote!. If you are not registered on the site and just come to browse, consider joining and voting at least!

From initial voting just today, taking the top 3 from each poll, we are showing the following top 15. This is NOT the official list to move to the next round, it is just a preliminary look at the voting. Offical voting will go 3-5 days depending on participation.

Al Jefferson (19) - tied with Korver in this group
Hayward (21) - tied with Bryon Russell
Harpring (22)
Hornacek (23)
Millsap (23)
Big T (23)
Dantley (24)
AK47 (24)
Eaton (24)
Gobert (24)
Okur (25)
Mitchell (25)
D Will (25)
Malone (25)
Stockton (27)

By this measure we would leave 6 of the top 10 ppg scorers in Jazz history off the list. Maravich, Robinson, Boozer, John Drew, Jeff Malone, and Bogie are all in the top 10 in ppg scoring for the Jazz and are not among the top 3 of their respective groups in the poll. Kind of interesting.
The ties have been resolved. Lots of votes, which is great! Please be sure to vote in every poll so we get the best representation.

It looks like a lot of people voted in poll #1 and did not vote in the other polls. This explains the fact that all of the top 5 vote getters on this poll so far got more votes than both Stockton and Malone and all of the top 5 vote getters were in poll #1. Please vote in all the polls folks!

Here is the current list:

Truck Robinson (25)
Bogey (34)
Clarkson (35)
Korver (36)
Jefferson (37)
B Russ (37)
Griffith (40)
Harpring (41)
Hayward (42)
Favors (43)
Gobert (43)
Ingles (43)
Big T (43)
AK (45)
Dantley (45)
Millsap (45)
Okur (46)
K. Malone (47)
D Mitchell (48)
Stockton (49)
Boozer (50)
Maravich (53)
Horny (54)
Eaton (55)
D Will (56)

So the bottom of the pack so far, with the number of votes...

Howard Eisley (5)
John Drew (4)
Jarron Collins (3)
Bobby Hansen (2)
Felton Spencer (1)
Gordan Giricek (1)
Greg Foster (0)

Poor Greg Foster, dead last.

Ok I will pull the results from the votes tomorrow. I imagine we aren't getting many more. I do know that many more people voted on the first poll and the second and then it really drops off from there. But hey, votes in the 60 range have to be the highest voted polls we have had on Jazz Fanz, so thank you all Fanz!

I will pull the results tomorrow, as mentioned, and get the final poll together. Jason has graciously expanded the options we can use for polls so I will pull in the final 30 from this list into 2 polls of 15 each, then from those pull the final 20 into a single poll to end it all.

Wow we got to 70 votes! That is awesome!

Ok I will be closing these out today by about noon pacific time. I am at work after all and I have to wait for the bevvy of stupid conference calls when I have time to do other ****. So please, if you have not done so yet, vote in the other polls. This one still has the most votes by a ways over the later ones like 3-5.

Thanks for the participation Jazz Fanz, this has been fun. Soon on to round 2!