What's new

Torn ACL, surgery or no?

MVP

So I was unlucky to tear ACL in right knee playing soccer in local +35 league 3 weeks ago. I had medial meniscus tear in the same knee about 17 years ago which left me with half of it as at that time nobody was suturing it and they were just removing damaged part. Here is the problem - if I were at least 10 years younger ( I am 46) I would go for surgery for sure as even if it is long rehab it certainly gives you better outcome long term for pivoting movement requiring sports. If I would give up on soccer and basketball and would do just cycling, swimming, weight lifting, etc, I really do not need ACL for those sports and rehab and physio would be a way to go. Even recreational level soccer can still be played with special ACL brace. The other issue here in Canada is wait times for surgery... it is free medical care ( yay!!) but to get ACL done waiting time is 6-9 month. Rehab after that is about 12-18 month. So at best if I get surgery done next spring I would be back on soccer field early 2020 when I am already 49 years old. Is it worth it given the chances of complications and my age? I am kind of leaning towards skipping the surgery and just do physio and try playing with brace in the future. Anybody here had similar situation and decision making dilemma?

Prehab for at least one year. Some people can build enough supporting muscle strength that they don't need to do the surgery ever. Others probably still will to function like they want. Either way if you're not an athlete and you don't need to get back out to make money take your time to prehab. Get your legs and core as strong as you can. Then if you need surgery still, it will be a better process and easier recovery. Or you might find after a year you are fine and don't need surgery, which is great.

I regret getting surgery for my ACL tear without trying to recover and doing more prehab. I also regret letting them use my hamstring for the surgery.

I regret getting surgery for my ACL tear without trying to recover and doing more prehab. I also regret letting them use my hamstring for the surgery.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Can you be more specific why? Is your hamstring too weak now? When I was researching surgical techniques they can either use patella tendon or hamstring to replace your ACL, both ways seem to be very successful but do weaken original ligament somewhat. I had my share of multiple hamstring strains as well so maybe hamstring would be not a best choice for me?

you shouldn't ask such a question here!

just go to 3 4 5 or 6 doctors.

Went to 3 already. Doctors won't make decision for me, they can discuss options which they already did. Hearing input from people who had similar experience is very valuable and I appreciate what Ron said.

Ron is one of the few here you should listen to, he is solid in this area for sure.
Get advice from doctors too, but I think Ron's input is the best you will find here.

Went to 3 already. Doctors won't make decision for me, they can discuss options which they already did. Hearing input from people who had similar experience is very valuable and I appreciate what Ron said.

ok, sorry got no experience with it.

ihope you heal up by whatever means, bro.

godspeed

Thank you for sharing your experience. Can you be more specific why? Is your hamstring too weak now? When I was researching surgical techniques they can either use patella tendon or hamstring to replace your ACL, both ways seem to be very successful but do weaken original ligament somewhat. I had my share of multiple hamstring strains as well so maybe hamstring would be not a best choice for me?
Yes, I have had more hamstring issues than I have had ACL/knee issues post surgery. But that one is just anecdotal I don't know the stats for others experiences based on where they took it from. Sounds like you are researching, which is obviously great.

I had full reconstruction on my right ACL and rather than using cadaver they used part of my hamstring. I'm not trying to discount Ron's experience but I've read/heard of fewer situations like his as I have of the opposite. If it's a partial tear I would fully consider his advice. Mine was a complete rupture(think stretching a rubber and until it breaks and bunches up) so surgery was really my only recourse. Best of luck and I hope your road to recovery is quick and full!

That sucks, man. I hope you get better. ACL injuries are horrible. Make sure you keep your body in balance, strength wise, or it could be devastating.
I had ACL surgery and it worked, it just took a couple of years. My younger brother tore his, but no surgery. He gets around just fine, but has harder times bending it and putting weight on it.
Good luck!

Thanks to everybody who is sharing their experiences. Again, keep in mind my age and that I am really planning on maybe playing soccer or basketball in senior leagues for maybe another 5-7 years at most depending on how my knee feels. If I would plan on quitting team sports and stick to fishing and weight lifting I for sure would not even consider surgery at this time.

That sucks, man. I hope you get better. ACL injuries are horrible. Make sure you keep your body in balance, strength wise, or it could be devastating.
I had ACL surgery and it worked, it just took a couple of years. My younger brother tore his, but no surgery. He gets around just fine, but has harder times bending it and putting weight on it.
Good luck!

Don't forget. Lifting hard for five months can do wonders too.

I decided to get paid MRI done as my physiotherapist thinks ACL is not completely torn and it is just meniscus. It would certainly be a good news as meniscus surgery is much easier and does not require grafting of patella, quad or hamstring tendon and bone drilling. Plus recovery and rehab is much less complicated. So I will kiss good bye 750$ to know exactly what it is and what to do:).

I decided to get paid MRI done as my physiotherapist thinks ACL is not completely torn and it is just meniscus. It would certainly be a good news as meniscus surgery is much easier and does not require grafting of patella, quad or hamstring tendon and bone drilling. Plus recovery and rehab is much less complicated. So I will kiss good bye 750$ to know exactly what it is and what to do:).

Good luck, man