What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

Keeping Favors on the team so that he can contribute or be traded for something better is a good strategy short term.

The Jazz's starting line-up isn't special by today's standards, if we're being honest. Donovan and Rudy could be two pieces of a championship contender's core. Ingles might be okay as a glue guy and 4th or 5th option. Crowder, Royce, Favors and Thabo are defensive oriented bench pieces. That's all we have right now, if we're talking about contending. I go back and forth on whether Rubio is worth re-signing, but his lack of gravity on offense puts a ceiling on the team.
Re-signing Favors was smart if he is used in a trade prior to the deadline. I think his contract goes down as a massive failure if he stays through the season. We could have had Bjelica for 1/3 and Randle for 1/2 of his deal.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

It would get rid of that contract of Dante's. KCP is in his only year of his contract

Yeah, but the Jazz don't need to get rid of Exum's contract. He'll either pan out at some level or he won't, but he's about the only young player we have with unrealized upside. He's the gamble you keep taking for one more year. He may never be a starting-caliber PG, but he might be a guy you can put next to one.

Re-signing Favors was smart if he is used in a trade prior to the deadline. I think his contract goes down as a massive failure if he stays through the season. We could have had Bjelica for 1/3 and Randle for 1/2 of his deal.

Bjelica doesn't defend well enough to be considered more than a one-dimensional scorer off the bench. For whatever reason, the Jazz didn't want Randle. If they did, they would have offered Favors' deal to Randle.

The Jazz have such solid defense, we're just aching to add a guy who is a tough defender, but who can also pull up and drill a 3 off the dribble. Rubio, Crowder, Royce, Thabo--they're good defenders and rotational players, but they need to be spoon fed on offense.

A tough, 6'4" two-way guard like a Chauncey Billups could be amazing on this team.

We shouldnt have re-signed him in the first place. PHX needs a PG, and the Jazz would have more financial wiggle room by dumping the exum contract. I think this would be a win-win-win

The financial wiggle room we get from trading Burks for Kover, signing Favors on a team option, having Thabo and Udoh expire and having Rubio expire is more than sufficient. We can clear max space if we can find someone worth giving it to.

The financial wiggle room we get from trading Burks for Kover, signing Favors on a team option, having Thabo and Udoh expire and having Rubio expire is more than sufficient. We can clear max space if we can find someone worth giving it to.

You would rather have exum than rubio?

You would rather have exum than rubio?

It's not an either/or decision. Exum is probably not going to be the starting PG, but he's not costing the Jazz Rubio if the Jazz want to re-sign him. We can go over the cap to re-sign Rubio if that's what numbers dictate.

If the Jazz don't plan to re-sign Rubio, in my opinion they should try to trade him the season.

This story to re-sign good character players that likes to be part of the Jazz has to finish.
Rubio won't make the Jazz a contender.

I worry that Quin will push to re-sign Rubio.

Last edited:
The Jazz have such solid defense, we're just aching to add a guy who is a tough defender, but who can also pull up and drill a 3 off the dribble. Rubio, Crowder, Royce, Thabo--they're good defenders and rotational players, but they need to be spoon fed on offense.
This is why I'm okay adding somebody like Randle who might not be a great defender but his offense is something we need.

It's not an either/or decision. Exum is probably not going to be the starting PG, but he's not costing the Jazz Rubio if the Jazz want to re-sign him. We can go over the cap to re-sign Rubio if that's what numbers dictate.

Why not get rid of both? I am a Rubio homer, but if people are unhappy with both why not get rid of both?