What's new

Traffic Court

I just hope Utah keeps free from camera ticketing. I'm surprised nobody is telling horror stories of red light/speeding tickets from other states in this thread yet :

big-brother-nation-inline-576px-photo-289936-s-original.jpg

The #1 way to get out of a ticket is: Don't speed. The next best thing: when the cop asks you how fast you were going, say exactly what the speed limit is. The instant you claim that you were only going 5 over, like everyone else, you're toast. My last two times getting pulled over ended up with the cop saying that he clocked me at 10 - 15 mph over, but I said I was going the limit. I didn't get a ticket either time -- and one was in Idaho.

I've fought 10 or so tickets over the years and I've lost every one of them. The only time I came close was the three people in front of me all had their cases dismissed because the cop didn't show up, and lo, my cop didn't either. When I stood up to take my dismissal, the judge said, "I'm not about to dismiss 4 in a row"... And then had me reschedule another time to come back man, I was bent.

Cops have said we can go at least ten over though.

I'd like to take the car speed eyeball calibration test. I get my eyeballs calibrated for enforcement purposes twice per year. I have to be pretty damn confident to hand out a ticket. I suspect cops are way more confident since they do theirs WAY more frequently than I do.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, cops have to read your speed and then have the laser gun verify within 5 mph or something.

Cops have said we can go at least ten over though.

I'd like to take the car speed eyeball calibration test. I get my eyeballs calibrated for enforcement purposes twice per year. I have to be pretty damn confident to hand out a ticket. I suspect cops are way more confident since they do theirs WAY more frequently than I do.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, cops have to read your speed and then have the laser gun verify within 5 mph or something.

So they have to read a red LED number then make sure that number is at least within 5 mph of reality? Sounds tough.

Or are you saying they have to see a car pass and guess within 5 the speed it is really travelling? The second one is tougher.

So they have to read a red LED number then make sure that number is at least within 5 mph of reality? Sounds tough.

I think it's the opposite. They have to determine your speed and then verify with the radar gun.

It sounds plenty sloppy (like my calibrated eyes scenario) but apparently it's the best system we've come up with.

I think it's the opposite. They have to determine your speed and then verify with the radar gun.

It sounds plenty sloppy (like my calibrated eyes scenario) but apparently it's the best system we've come up with.

Sloppy indeed. Sounds like a word-problem from hell.

There are 28 vehicles coming at you on the freeway. 11 semis, 5 sedans, 3 coupes, some pickup trucks, and Franklin and Log in a 1976 rabbit. A corvette is weaving in and out of the diesels and Franklin speeds up to get out of his way. How fast was Franklin going, and how much is the fine?

A: The posted speed limit. $50
B: The posted speed limit + 10, $100
C: Whatever, he sped up and looked like he might cut someone off and I'm bored, $150
D: I got distracted by an inappropriate GIF on JazzFanz, $200

The obvious answer is

Wait, did you see those bouncing boobies?

I'm blind so I have to t ouxh em to swee em

The #1 way to get out of a ticket is: Don't speed. The next best thing: when the cop asks you how fast you were going, say exactly what the speed limit is. The instant you claim that you were only going 5 over, like everyone else, you're toast. My last two times getting pulled over ended up with the cop saying that he clocked me at 10 - 15 mph over, but I said I was going the limit. I didn't get a ticket either time -- and one was in Idaho.

I've fought 10 or so tickets over the years and I've lost every one of them. The only time I came close was the three people in front of me all had their cases dismissed because the cop didn't show up, and lo, my cop didn't either. When I stood up to take my dismissal, the judge said, "I'm not about to dismiss 4 in a row"... And then had me reschedule another time to come back man, I was bent.

I consider it a civic duty to go to court every time you get a ticket.

Somebody has got to get those traffic tax agents off the streets for the rest of us.

It would seriously cause the various government entities that rely on this revenue stream to think twice. Make it cost more for the courts and judges and the cops' time showing up. . . . if we all did this, those tax pervs would hafta think of something else to do to raise revenue. . . . .

I consider it a civic duty to go to court every time you get a ticket.

Somebody has got to get those traffic tax agents off the streets for the rest of us.

It would seriously cause the various government entities that rely on this revenue stream to think twice. Make it cost more for the courts and judges and the cops' time showing up. . . . if we all did this, those tax pervs would hafta think of something else to do to raise revenue. . . . .

While I agree with the idea and philosophy behind it, I hate going to court. Maybe we could hire homeless people to go to court for us, a lot like the 1%ers hiring handicapped folks to get ahead in line at disneyland. That way they can get an income stream, I can avoid court, and we can still stick it to the man.

Sloppy indeed. Sounds like a word-problem from hell.

It sounds sloppy but it isn't when you take in the margin of error, the redundancies, and relaxation of the law giving a solid buffer. Cops in Utah have said plenty of times that you won't get pulled over until going 15 mph over the limit (school zone exempted). It's a pretty low probability that the radar reads you 15-20% higher, that the officer misreads, and that you're not already well in excess of the limit. I'd put it at least 1 in 10,000, which is acceptable for something this small.

The issue IMO is discretion and not the system. The ticket I'm fighting tomorrow is for illegal lane change. The officer agreed that I made a safe exit from the freeway, but wrote a ticket based on technicality and obvious Labor Day weekend volume ticketing by the Highway Patrol. His enforcement discretion was poor and counterproductive.

41-6a-804. Turning or changing lanes -- Safety -- Signals -- Stopping or sudden decrease in speed -- Signal flashing -- Where prohibited.

(1) (a) A person may not turn a vehicle or move right or left on a roadway or change lanes until:

(i) the movement can be made with reasonable safety; and

(ii) an appropriate signal has been given as provided under this section.

(b) A signal of intention to turn right or left or to change lanes shall be given continuously for at least the last two seconds preceding the beginning of the movement.

(2) A person may not stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving an appropriate signal to the operator of any vehicle immediately to the rear when there is opportunity to give a signal.

What chance do I have of successfully arguing that I couldn't comply with the requirements of (i) and (ii) for several miles so I chose to comply with (i) the movement can be made with reasonable safety?

(2) A person may not stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving an appropriate signal to the operator of any vehicle immediately to the rear when there is opportunity to give a signal.

I was not able to not stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle with a turn signal, but I was able to not stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without a turn signal.

What chance do I have of successfully arguing that I couldn't comply with the requirements of (i) and (ii) for several miles so I chose to comply with (i) the movement can be made with reasonable safety?

I was not able to not stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle with a turn signal, but I was able to not stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without a turn signal.

Do you have an arm and a window that you could open, maybe even with a brick or motorcycle helmet?