What's new

U.S. soldiers accused of killing Afghan civilians for sport

If it's true, I hope they're court marshaled and spend the rest of their lives in Leavenworth.

Honestly, if commissioner Stern and the NCAA believe that student athletes aren't mature enough to go pro at age 18, and they should at least obtain some education before going off to the "real world". Why are we sending these kids off to a foreign country to enact the foreign agenda at age 18, and even prepping some of them from age 16-17?

Honestly, if commissioner Stern and the NCAA believe that student athletes aren't mature enough to go pro at age 18, and they should at least obtain some education before going off to the "real world". Why are we sending these kids off to a foreign country to enact the foreign agenda at age 18, and even prepping some of them from age 16-17?

Because clearly it's the same people making the decisions.

Good argument.

Pretty damn terrible. I don't think it is like Abu Grahaib much. That was a situation where it seemed the entire chain of command had some culpability. This is an example of a small group of deranged individuals doing something horrific and trying to get away with it without the chain of command finding out. These guys do not represent the Army as a whole.

So, I wonder how soon we'll have posters saying this is not a big deal, because the Afghans should have foreseen this when they let the Taliban take over?

Unfortunately, there will always be people who love to kill that choose to become military.

Pretty damn terrible. I don't think it is like Abu Grahaib much. That was a situation where it seemed the entire chain of command had some culpability. This is an example of a small group of deranged individuals doing something horrific and trying to get away with it without the chain of command finding out. These guys do not represent the Army as a whole.

I don't recall the specifics of Abu Grahib, but it seems to me that was a situation that involved humiliation of prisoners, not actual physical torture or killing. To me, that's a different sort of sadistic behavior, but maybe I'm just splitting hairs. There is some similarity though in the way it was done for "entertainment" value. And while I haven't finished the article, it does seem as though there was some lax oversight in the chain of command in this situation as well.

I found this comment (in the "comments" section) to be telling, and just from a couple of police brutality cases that have been in the news lately in Chicago, probably (unfortunately) on the mark:
...Then they come home and become police officers and kill and frame for sport here

I don't recall the specifics of Abu Grahib, but it seems to me that was a situation that involved humiliation of prisoners, not actual physical torture or killing. To me, that's a different sort of sadistic behavior, but maybe I'm just splitting hairs. There is some similarity though in the way it was done for "entertainment" value. And while I haven't finished the article, it does seem as though there was some lax oversight in the chain of command in this situation as well.

I found this comment (in the "comments" section) to be telling, and just from a couple of police brutality cases that have been in the news lately in Chicago, probably (unfortunately) on the mark:

I just don't see the locals reacting to this like they did in Iraq to Abu Garhaib. This is clearly something carried out by rouge soldiers who do not represent the typical Army soldier or the US effort as a whole. They are criminals and will be dealt with as such. In Abu Garhaib the entire prison represented an oppressive occupying force that tortures and humiliates the locals, often by intentionally offending local customs and religious standards and doing so for enjoyment at times.

That's not to say that Abu Garhaib was serious while this is not as serious. My point is that it is easier to understand that a few soldiers committed murder and that they are being treated like murderers by the chain of command, than it is to understand that prison guards build naked pyramids out of prisoners and had women humiliating male prisoners regularly, aside from the questionable interrogation tactics that were approved all the way up to the Secretary of defense and the President.

I would say that if you're a person living in another country, the idea that American soldiers are killing innocents for sport is potentially just as damaging to your image of the United States as Abu Ghraib was. ****ing despicable.

I don't even have words for my reaction to this.