What's new

Utah’s Missed Big Three

Pastramiking

Utah drafted Stockton, Malone and Dell Curry in consecutive drafts. If Utah trusted its drafting process and didn’t trade Curry for Darryl Dawkins, how good do you think Utah could have been? Dell would have given the Jazz “Hornacek” many years earlier. He would have been that pure shooter and I could only imagine how many more assists John Stockton would have.

Hornacek was more than just a jump shooter, and was a clever passer and creator off the dribble. Dell Curry was the epitome of a spot-up shooter and not much more. Think Dennis Scott.

Curry was taking 5 3s a game in the mid 90s.

Unheard of under Sloan in any era.

Although trading him for 2 back-up Centers (one of them clearly washed up) is a bit of a mystery .

Last edited:
Curry was taking 5 3s a game in the mid 90s.

Unheard of under Sloan in any era.

Although trading him for 2 back-up Centers (one of them clearly washed) is a bit of a mystery .

Probably but BRuss averaged 3.3 and 2.6 our two championship years and he wasn’t the shooter Curry was.

Utah drafted Stockton, Malone and Dell Curry in consecutive drafts. If Utah trusted its drafting process and didn’t trade Curry for Darryl Dawkins, how good do you think Utah could have been? Dell would have given the Jazz “Hornacek” many years earlier. He would have been that pure shooter and I could only imagine how many more assists John Stockton would have.
Lol. WTF. Papa Curry as part of a big three. He wasn’t half the player Hornacek was. Idiot!

I had hoped we would keep Curry back in the day. I thought he could have been a good complementary piece. But he didn't play Sloan ball and it took a bit for him to find his groove, so it didn't surprise me that they moved him. What they got for him was crap I thought, but at the time it might have been his perceived value

The real missed big three was Karl Malone, John Stockton and Dominique Wilkins. That trio would have been insane. They would have won multiple championships. The Jazz drafted and traded the rights to Dominique two years before drafting Stockton.

I remember having high hopes for Mel Turpin, he was the 6th pick in the '84 draft. I didn't know about "Dinner Bell Mels" appetite tho. The "Meal Man" was another great nickname.

The real missed big three was Karl Malone, John Stockton and Dominique Wilkins. That trio would have been insane. They would have won multiple championships. The Jazz drafted and traded the rights to Dominique two years before drafting Stockton.
Don't forget magic Johnson.

Magic, nique and Malone. Scary