What's new

Utah Brew Fest

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
Tonight is the first ever Utah Brew Fest.

By all accounts it's going to be a complete disaster. Several prominent people and organizations in the Utah craft/micro/homebrew community have refused to be associated with it.

Some way somehow they have gotten the green light to host a pay at the door and get unlimited drinks inside event. Spoiler alert, that's not allowed in Utah, but apparently they have worked it all out.

They are hosting a homebrew competition, but it is comically disorganized.

I'm going tonight only because I was able to work out a deal for two free VIP passes, which they were selling for $85 each. Since I'm going I'm entering some beer that I had on hand for long-term aging, It started as an English Strong Ale, but is now an English Old Ale. I got my free tickets because I'm also providing some beer for them to use during a BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) exam. The exam was supposed to happen tonight, but has been rescheduled for next week.

They will be pouring several local brews and homebrewers can bring beer to share and have evaluated by judges and there is also going to be hard alcohol provided by local distilleries, also offered for unlimited pours.

There is going to be a burlesque show.

There will be a local cigar maker there.

This is going to be one for the books, folks. I'll be leaving Utah for a few hours, but I'll be in the center of SLC.

Boom!

1st Place Judges Choice Homebrew.

This was a cool event. Not well organized, but it was a legit pay at the door and then drink what you want event. Interesting crowd.