What's new

Utah Jazz Opening Day Roster

kabenac

Competition is heating up... this is a good predicament to be in. What's your opening day 15-player Jazz roster? Mine is:

Exum, Burke, Cotton, Neto
Hood, Burks, Millsap*
Hayward, Ingles
Favors, Booker, Lyles
Gobert, Pleiss, Withey

*I think Millsap will make the team over Johnson. I don't believe both will make the team. I believe the fact Millsap didn't play in the Summer league is telling - it suggests the Jazz are keeping him.

Waived/D-League: Johnson, Cooley, Jerrett, Graham

Competition is heating up... this is a good predicament to be in. What's your opening day 15-player Jazz roster? Mine is:

Hood, Burks, Millsap*
Hayward, Ingles
Favors, Booker, Lyles
Gobert, Pleiss, Withey

*I think Millsap will make the team over Johnson. I don't believe both will make the team. I believe the fact Millsap didn't play in the Summer league is telling - it suggests the Jazz are keeping him.

Exum, Burke Chalmers Neto
Hood, Burks Millsap
Hawyard Ingles
Favors Booker Lysles
Gobert Pleiss Withey
Cotton, Cooley and Johnson get traded as a salary dump for chalmers. Graham, and O'Brien get waived.

Agree with the two previous opinions. I think it depends on how comfortable DL/QS are in going with one of the least proven, if not worst, PG rotations in the league (sans Exum). Fair or not, they now have money invested in Neto, so Cotton would be the one replaced if they sign or trade for a veteran PG.

Reports are that Miami is only asking for a 2nd-rounder for Chalmers. Utah has more than they can ever use. Does replacing Cotton or Neto as the 2nd-string PG with Chalmers mean the difference between making the playoffs or missing? If so, then I think the Jazz should make the trade.

Agree with the two previous opinions. I think it depends on how comfortable DL/QS are in going with one of the least proven, if not worst, PG rotations in the league (sans Exum). Fair or not, they now have money invested in Neto, so Cotton would be the one replaced if they sign or trade for a veteran PG.

Reports are that Miami is only asking for a 2nd-rounder for Chalmers. Utah has more than they can ever use. Does replacing Cotton or Neto as the 2nd-string PG with Chalmers mean the difference between making the playoffs or missing? If so, then I think the Jazz should make the trade.

Chalmers numbers were similar to Trey's although he shot a little better. I would consider this a one year lease of him.

Chalmers numbers were similar to Trey's although he shot a little better. I would consider this a one year lease of him.
Agree. But that's all we need. Exum is either out for the entire year or comes back and plays some spot minutes near the end of the season.

I think the Jazz will pick up the option on Trey. It's cheap and he still has some value, even if only as a backup. So next season, Jazz would still be in a position of having to decide between Cotton or Neto as the 3rd PG. Same would hold true if the Jazz traded Trey. There isn't room - or need - for having four HEALTHY PG's on the roster. That need only exists for all or most of this season.

Chalmers posted numbers similar to Trey THIS season only, which was considerably off previous years. In fact, the three prior seasons to last, he averaged about 44%/39%. He's only 29, so it may have just been an off year.

Hood, Burks, Millsap*
Hayward, Ingles
Favors, Booker, Lyles
Gobert, Pleiss, Withey

I don't know if you've heard, but Exum won't be playing this year.

Agree. But that's all we need. Exum is either out for the entire year or comes back and plays some spot minutes near the end of the season.

I think the Jazz will pick up the option on Trey. It's cheap and he still has some value, even if only as a backup. So next season, Jazz would still be in a position of having to decide between Cotton or Neto as the 3rd PG. Same would hold true if the Jazz traded Trey. There isn't room - or need - for having four HEALTHY PG's on the roster. That need only exists for all or most of this season.

Chalmers posted numbers similar to Trey THIS season only, which was considerably off previous years. In fact, the three prior seasons to last, he averaged about 44%/39%. He's only 29, so it may have just been an off year.

He shot 40% FG and 29% from 3pt last season.

He shot 40% FG and 29% from 3pt last season.
Yes, and that's why I pointed out that last year may have just been an outlier (sorry I should have said "last" instead of "this" but obviously since this season hasn't begun I meant 2104/15). Chalmers had been a pretty good shooter in prior seasons but apparently came down with an acute case of Treyburculosis last year.