What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

LoPo

We have so many threads going that I wanted to start one to centralize trade deadline discussion.

http://hoopshype.com/storyline/rodney-hood-trade/

“Listen, my understanding of Utah’s situation is that they’re as much of an open shop as there is in the league right now. Whether it’s Derrick Favors or Rodney Hood or even Ricky Rubio, they want to turn the page. They want to maximize Rudy Gobert’s prime. … Utah is going to look at everything right now. They obviously don’t feel like they have their core and they’re trying to figure things out. But yeah, I think Rodney gets moved. I think Derrick will draw decent interest. And the Rubio one, I didn’t know what to make of it. But if they are truly open to parting ways with Ricky, I think he’d have a good market too.”

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Surprised he didn't mention Burks.

Can't remember who it was but they talked about teams wanting compensation for taking Burks. He portrayed it as Burks being the only one with negative value.

Yeah, if we have to lose an asset to dump Burks, just keep him. I do feel like there are lateral trades that get Burks moved, but are they worth it?

Like Burks to NOLA for Asik and a 2nd. Or Burks for some role player from Portland that helps them save a little money.

Yeah, if we have to lose an asset to dump Burks, just keep him. I do feel like there are lateral trades that get Burks moved, but are they worth it?

Like Burks to NOLA for Asik and a 2nd. Or Burks for some role player from Portland that helps them save a little money.

Any lateral move that ties up more of Utah's money by either duration or amount is not worth it in a Burks trade.

After reading the article and the signs the last week, I think the targets are Mirotic and Fournier. If we are truly "maximizing Gobert's prime", then those guys are the attainable pieces that create the roster:
PG Exum
SG Mitchell
SF Fournier
PF Mirotic
C Gobert
6th Man Jingles
2018 Utah 1st
O'Neal

The rest is TBD...

I'd like the jazz to make bigger moves than mirotic and fournier. Go get one of those guys that are rumored to be unhappy with their team like kawhi, Otto Porter, etc.

Jazz need a real third guy. Fournier would be nice, but as an addition to someone special.

I came to post the same quote LoPo started this thread with. What Lopo missed was the title: FIRE SALE IN UTAH.

I'd like the jazz to make bigger moves than mirotic and fournier. Go get one of those guys that are rumored to be unhappy with their team like kawhi, Otto Porter, etc.

Jazz need a real third guy. Fournier would be nice, but as an addition to someone special.
I think Mirotic is big. Fournier I think is a smaller move. I don’t think Kawhi is realistic and I love Otto Porter but he’s paid quite a bit more than Fournier so that’d be a tough one.

Would you be willing to part with this year's draft pick to do it? I don't think I am unless it were Kawhi, who the Jazz aren't getting. There's some real top heavy talent in this draft that isn't out of the question yet.

Roy - I would trade the pick for the right player. I do not believe Otto Porter is that guy at all.

Guys I would trade the 1st for as part of a bigger deal:

Lillard
Kawhi
Kuzma

Okay, so if Fournier was a target, would you consider this deal:

Rubio, Burks, JoeJ and our 2nd
for
Fournier and Biyombo
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybt2t6oz

Why for Magic - the new management has said they want a clean slate. Rubio and Burks are expirings next year. Fournier and Biyombo are due $34 million in 2019-20. Fournier is due another $17 in 2020-21. Most people think Biyombo is one of the worst contracts in the NBA. Orlando gets to shed that.

Why for us: We want to win now. Fournier spreads the floor creating space we need and he is close with Rudy. Sure, this is expensive, but both players are useful to us. Biyombo would be an asset should Gobert get in foul trouble or get hurt. Taking Biyombo keeps us from having to use our 1st. Could be the first of a few deals to start the roster shakeup. This guves us an open roster spot to pursue other big deals using Favors and Hood.

Bold, but what do you think?

I think Favors and Hood are goners for sure. I would like to see Rubio moved but not sure a team wants him on the hook for $15 million next year.

At this point, I'm all about going all in and going young. I'd love Cleveland's pick but I don't think they are going to part with it.

Keep our first... don’t give up assets to get off money... don’t trade Rudy or DM or Exum (I value him more than what I think his trade value is).

I wouldn’t mind moving Rubio and AB for buy low guys that might hav more money on their deals or guys who are functional but cost more. Could talk myself into a Rubio/AB for Gallo deal (stealth tank move if he isn’t healthy) or Rubio AB for Bazemore deal. There would be more moving parts but if we aren’t keeping Hood we can get one of those guys with an extra year that would help much more than AB or Rubio.

Keep our first... don’t give up assets to get off money... don’t trade Rudy or DM or Exum (I value him more than what I think his trade value is).

I wouldn’t mind moving Rubio and AB for buy low guys that might hav more money on their deals or guys who are functional but cost more. Could talk myself into a Rubio/AB for Gallo deal (stealth tank move if he isn’t healthy) or Rubio AB for Bazemore deal. There would be more moving parts but if we aren’t keeping Hood we can get one of those guys with an extra year that would help much more than AB or Rubio.
I'd expand on that with this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7wslt2w

Burks
Rubio

Gallo
Beverley

Okay, so if Fournier was a target, would you consider this deal:

Rubio, Burks, JoeJ and our 2nd
for
Fournier and Biyombo
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybt2t6oz

Why for Magic - the new management has said they want a clean slate. Rubio and Burks are expirings next year. Fournier and Biyombo are due $34 million in 2019-20. Fournier is due another $17 in 2020-21. Most people think Biyombo is one of the worst contracts in the NBA. Orlando gets to shed that.

Why for us: We want to win now. Fournier spreads the floor creating space we need and he is close with Rudy. Sure, this is expensive, but both players are useful to us. Biyombo would be an asset should Gobert get in foul trouble or get hurt. Taking Biyombo keeps us from having to use our 1st. Could be the first of a few deals to start the roster shakeup. This guves us an open roster spot to pursue other big deals using Favors and Hood.

Bold, but what do you think?

If they’re moving Hood, then I could live with this. Otherwise, taking on Biyambo cap straps the team when it comes to extending Rodney and Dante.

Honestly though. . . Orlando should have to give up their 2nd to get off that Biyambo contract - even if they take the last year of Rubio/Burks.

If the Jazz could pull that off, they could use Favors and a protected 1st (top 20 this year, lottery next year, two 2nds in 2020) to go after Mirotic.

Then they can still gamble on the Hood/Exum contracts with a little room under the tax and $12.5 million in non guaranteed contracts they can move if needed.

Mitchell / Exum
Hood / Jingles
Fournier / O’Neal
Mirotic / Sefalosha
Gobert / Biyambo / Bradley

Neto (cost?), draft picks and minimum deals to fill out the roster.

You’d have to hope Mirotic, Fournier, Hood, Exum and this year’s draft pick work out, because they’d be hard pressed to make changes for 2-3 more years.

Last edited: