What's new

Veterans for Rookies (Favors & Hayward) to study by David Thorpe

Zerol

For those of you wondering...

For Derrick Favors: Paul Millsap

Millsap turned an overweight body in college into a long and lean one in the NBA, and became much more athletic because of it. He also retained all of the nuanced craft that enabled him to be such a good player to begin with -- fakes, extension finishes and now an excellent perimeter shot that he employs with discipline.

Favors, who is more athletic than most players in the league, can learn a lot from his new teammate about how to use his physical abilities along with a more crafty game. He does not need to learn everything at once, so starting out with his post game is step one.

For Gordon Hayward: Arron Afflalo

We all know Afflalo is now considered to be both a top-flight wing defender and an excellent 3-point shooter. He has also added assertiveness to his mix and become better all-around because of it. But do you remember what he was like as a rookie after two years of college? In his first season, he made just 10 3-pointers and had a player efficiency rating of 10.07 and a true shooting percentage below 50.

Considering that Hayward has already made 19 3s, makes more than 40 percent of his 3s and has a PER of 8.44 (close to Afflalo's 8.95 PER in his second season), it's not a leap to think that Hayward can become an Afflalo-type player. He has the agility and length to be an excellent wing defender, once he grows into his body and adds strength.

He shouldn't focus on playing up to his lofty draft spot but rather on becoming the best player he can be. Afflalo was a bad player for his first two seasons, but if we did a redraft of the 2007 class, he'd be a surefire lottery pick.

Personally I think he cannot be more wrong about Favors studying Millsap (except of course if he suggests him to study a guard). I would suggest Dwight Howard or Nene if I were to write this piece.

For Hayward though, I do hope he turns into an Afflalo, which will be a huge upgrade to our current SG. Also we won't have to throw all the cash to the real one.

I don't think we want Favors to get "Leaner"... if anything, bulk up more. And yeah, last thing we want is him to *****-foot out on the perimeter. He's a banger.

Afflalo has turned into a great all-around player. I really liked him at UCLA but wondered if his game would transfer and develop as much as it has. That being said, Afflalo is a good player Hayward could mold him self after. I disagree with the Favors suggestion of Millsap.. yeah, Millsap is a great player but he and Favors are vastly different. Millsap has to rely on finesse and whatnot because he is undersized at his position. Favors isn't undersized and should look to bigger guys who bang in the post for guidance. He'll be a special player in a few years. Once he develops that mid-range jumpshot and learns the offense better, watch out!

I see the point of some people having issues with the Favors - Millsap but at the same time you don't want Favors to be one dimensional, he has shows signs of a pretty good 15" (FT line distance) jumper so if he can become consistent and confident in that shot so people can't just play him to drive and post that is what will make him an AS.

I don't think the point of the article was to emulate the players precisely - their games, their moves etc. It was to reflect that someone with some similar situations could learn from someone in the league. On one hand you have a guy like Milsap who earned his way into the league with, one dimension added to his game each year. On the other hand you see a player like Afflalo who he called "a bad player" his first two years, learn some dimensions to his game that didn't exist in college.

for this reason, (and presumably Millsap and Favors get along well) i would NOT trade Milsap just for the positive influence he could be on Favors.

Afflalo definitely, but Millsap is physically more limited by size than Favors. He'd be better off looking at Jefferson's game, work ethic, and growth since joining the Jazz. As far as just studying old film, he should look at the games of Kevin McHale. I was never a Celtic fan, but I have to grudgingly admit McHale was very good in every phase of the game.

I think Favors could teach Millsap a lot more than Millsap can teach favors.

For starters, how to box out. Millsap hasn't a clue.

I don't think the point of the article was to emulate the players precisely - their games, their moves etc. It was to reflect that someone with some similar situations could learn from someone in the league. On one hand you have a guy like Milsap who earned his way into the league with, one dimension added to his game each year. On the other hand you see a player like Afflalo who he called "a bad player" his first two years, learn some dimensions to his game that didn't exist in college.

for this reason, (and presumably Millsap and Favors get along well) i would NOT trade Milsap just for the positive influence he could be on Favors.

Whatever positive influences Millsap might have on Favors are offset by one negative influence, which is taking away his playing time. Favors needs to get as many minutes every game as his number of fouls allows.

fellow jazzfanzers for The Thriller to study

I think Favors could teach Millsap a lot more than Millsap can teach favors.

For starters, how to box out. Millsap hasn't a clue.

I'd suggest The Thriller take a look at the likes of billyshelby or NUMBERICA, since both of the latter actually watch the games, at least. NUMBERICA may be a better case study since both he and The Thriller are prone to bouts of exuberance that may out-stripe the particular event of which they speak. Given that The Thriller frequently doesn't know what the hell he is talking about, this quality becomes a goddamn annoyance.

Right now, I'd say the "flop" label applies to The Thriller, who is still trying to sniff the jock of posters like gasol_stopper_ante_tomic and ncoloradojazz.

qft

chuckprooved.jpg

Gordon Hayward needs to watch Manu Ginobili. Especially how Ginobili uses his body when he drives to the hoop. Last year at Butler and this year Hayward drives and does this fairly easilly but stops about 2 steps past his defender and kicks it out. He does this so much and his body language seems to show that he drives with the specific purpose of kickinh it out. So when the defense doesn't rotate fast enough he doesn't take advanatge cause he passes the ball regardless of what the defense does. Not only that but since he tends to stop his dricing motion too early he doesn't create enough spacing for a 3 point shooter as he could. Manu has a similar body type to Hayward, both seem to have high IQs and under rated athleticism, they can shoot from the outside as well and both are good defenders. Hayward needs to learn how to use his body to create space and draw fouls when he drives. When he does that he will find himself with a whole lot more space to shoot the ball in the perimeter.

BTW I'm not saying HAyward is as good as Ginobili (he isn't) nor that he can be as good as Ginobili (need to see a WHOLE lot more from Gordon to say that). But if ppl told me to find one dude that Gordon should try to emulate. Ginobili comes to mind easilly more than Afllalo. Besides Manu is great, Afflalo isn't. Try to be the best you can be. Sure Thorpe is right when he speaks of not letting being the #9 pick hurt you. But don't set your goals to low or you wiill be limiting yourself.

Favors needs to watch Dwight Howard. He's measurementes were better than Howard's or at least as good for the same age. He'll most likelly be a Center in this league and not a PF. Howard when he came in his rookie year he said he spent his summer watching Karl Malone and Kevin Garnett. Not a bad thing for Favors to emulate.

You all got it wrong for Favors. The perfect guy for him is Karl Malone to bulk up and condition his body and learn how to use it inside. In fact, Favors reminds me of a young Karl Malone, only longer.

Everyone who is complaining about this is looking at it the wrong way. He isnt saying Favors needs to turn his game into Sap's game. He is just saying he needs to look at how Sap improved his game, which is basically get into great shape, learn to use your body, and extend your range.